Welcome to PatsFans.com

Catholics Urged to Fight Against Changing Statute of Limitations On Child Sex Abuse

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

I dunno about anyone else, but I was always taught that if you didn't have anything to worry about, you didn't worry about anything. These guys seem, I don't know, worried.

Hartford, Connecticut (CNN) -- A bill in Connecticut's legislature that would remove the statute of limitations on child sexual abuse cases has sparked a fervent response from the state's Roman Catholic bishops, who released a letter to parishioners Saturday imploring them to oppose the measure.

Under current Connecticut law, sexual abuse victims have 30 years past their 18th birthday to file a lawsuit. The proposed change to the law would rescind that statute of limitations.

The proposed change to the law would put "all Church institutions, including your parish, at risk," says the letter, which was signed by Connecticut's three Roman Catholic bishops.

Connecticut bishops fight sex abuse bill - CNN.com
  2. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Catholics Urged to Fight Against Changing Statute of Limitations On Child Sex Abu

Shame won't cut it anymore, without shame the power is gone, without power the sense of invincibility is gone, without the sense of invincibility they become normal men- accountable for their actions, no longer able to lead the flock.

Take away all that and you have a bunch of men covering for other men covering for a bunch of perverted individuals.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Re: Catholics Urged to Fight Against Changing Statute of Limitations On Child Sex Abu

EXCUSE ME ?

[​IMG]
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Seriously...are these freaks out of their minds? How much do they think their sheep will take?

If I was a Catholic in Connecticut, I'd be protesting in front of every church in the the bishoprick (pun intended), but then again, that would be against the church rules, right? I'd ask my Catholic family mnembers how they tolerate this situation, but I don't want to see my mother cry.
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

That's one of the cutest kids I've seen in a long time. What a sweetie!! Those are eyes most women would die to have.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

...and if his parents are smart they won't let him within 10 feet of a priest.
  7. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

What Would Jesus Do, indeed.
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I assume this bill means to change the statute of limitations on all cases going forward, which I think is a good idea, and not those in arrears. Otherwise I think this has some pretty serious Constitutional implications with regards to ex post facto laws.
  9. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

I understand their point from the standpoint that there is almost no way to legally determine the veracity of a claim from say, sixty years ago, in which all witness and the accused are likely deceased. It's a potential invitation for gold diggers.

On the other hand, it's more horrible PR from the RC church. Instead of just reflexively kicking and screaming about it, they could choose to shed light on the issue and assure people that they will exercise all options and due diligence to ensure that perpetrators of child abuse and molestation are dealt with using the harshest measures. Given the history of the Catholic Church, I'm sure they could get creative. Fine with me.

Then again, when even the Pope is unwilling to confront the issue, maybe they need a kick in the pants like this. It's ridiculous.

Agreed. I see the same issue.
  10. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Something is wrong here...I am agreeing with you twice in one thread. :eek:

Please make it stop! :bricks:

Whodathunkit- common ground found.

Can't argue when you are right :cool:
  11. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The gold diggers will come regardless of the law, as will people who didn't have the courage before allegations came out initially in the past.

The fact that there needs to be a law brought forth in the first place needs to be addressed, even if it has to target as volatile a group as the church.

Article One, Section 10, Clause 1 of the US Constitution prohibits ex post facto laws so the issue is moot in that regard.
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Mrs. PF is always right ...

Right Mrs. PF ... ;):blush::halo:

In other news ... how can anyone seriously believe Jesus / God guides the Catholic church?

Seriously ... God protecting diddlers ... :nono:
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  13. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I think it will be in affect for all cases in which the statute of limitations has not run out. It won't serve to revive a case 31 years old when the perpetrator have effectively been granted amnesty but it will keep a 28 year old case alive indefinitely since the offender is still at risk of facing the bar of justice.
    Here's a link that describes the law in clearer language than I.

US Constitution Annotated - Ex Post Facto Laws.
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

LOL There's always common ground if people talk long enough. We probably agree on a whole lot of things - we just haven't talked about them yet.

:)
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Nah, you're wrong, Icy. :)

I'm wrong often enough - generally I apologize and admit it, though. I'm sure if you went back and looked you'd find more than a few places where I admitted I was talkin' out my azz or I had followed wrong information somewhere.

So there - you're wrong, I'm right.

Ha!!
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Well perhaps ...

but man o' man you are thorough ... rarely do you leave a stone unturned.

You have a tireless shovel in digging up the story. :eat1:
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

That is GREAT NEWS! YEEEE-HAW!

[​IMG]