Welcome to PatsFans.com

Catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by chicowalker, Dec 9, 2011.

1. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

For those of you, like me, who don't think every "thought" (I'm being charitable there) that pops into somebody's head merits a thread, I've created this thread.

Any miscellaneous news items, experiences, etc. that you find interesting and wish to comment on, can go here.

I do ask that the usual couple characters not insert their inane ramblings here, though. Keep creating threads for them, if you must, but I'd like this thread to stick to reality, not your garbage.

-----------

What spurred this today was my most recent experience with a government agency in my business. Just though I'd share to give some of the folks who haven't run businesses an idea of the kind of things I look at as a business owner and see as too much government, and/or government run poorly.

This AM I get a voicemail from a state office of employment services. (This is a borderline state re red v blue, btw) The woman gives me her first name, tells me she's calling about a former employee, and refers to some deadlines for paperwork. She doesn't give a phone number, extension, email address, employee # or last name. She does provide a fax # for us to send any information by today's "deadline."

The kicker: I have no idea what she's talking about. We haven't received any paperwork from the agency about this employee. As a result, I have no idea what paperwork the woman is referring to or any deadlines or what we're being asked to provide.

I go online to try to track down a phone #. The only # listed doesn't give options for what I'm calling about or any way to reach a live person. I eventually track down a # that has her same prefix, but I repeatedly receive a message saying they are experiencing call volumes and should call back later. No option to hold or transfer, it just disconnects you.

After wasting 45 minutes of my day, I'm done (I don't use faxes anymore, and in any case, they're hardly well suited to actual communication b/t 2 parties) -- though I now have a nagging thought in my head re what this might be about, all thanks to an inept bureaucracy and a bureaucracy's inept employee.

Thanks, state government!

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

As innefficient as State Government can be, do not generalize...

I am very concerned today as I see Bolton's name being thrown out as a Secretary of State, if so can Wolfowitz be far behind?? In either case if true, we will at war again within the next 24 months... and we will be involved for another ten years.

Is Cheney the puppetmaster??

The economy will stay in the ****ter and we will blame Barney Frank or whoever succeeds him...

3. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

well, this isn't exactly my first experience dealing with this, or other, state agencies (same goes for local goverenments)

It's not a good sign when any positive experience is viewed as a pleasant surprise, and that absolutely has been my experience w/various government agencies at various levels.

(btw, that's certainly not limited to government. There are plenty of companies I detest dealing with. The critical differences are that dealing with those companies is generally my choice, and those companies have no authority over anything I do. for all I know this agency will try to fine me for not meeting their "deadline" -- on whatever it is they want from me.)

4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +279 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

Hard to ask for a supervisor from a voicemail. ;)

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +445 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Too bad you don't send faxes....I'd send one stating "To the idiot who called me, please call me back!"

I think that would not only be appropriate, it would be the right thing to do.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

I missed that.. good find.

Deleted post..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +445 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Since this is a catch-all thread about thoughts that pop into our heads....

ever wonder where people get their driving habits? My peeves are Massachusetts-based, but prolly apply elsewhere.

Why do people thinks it's ok to
    - not to stop at a STOP sign?
    - Drive in the passing lane and not drive faster than the other lanes?
    - Think it's ok NOT to turn right on red when the sign says "Right on Red"?
    - Speed up when you try to pass them?
    - Pull out of a side street and make you hit the brakes hard when there are no cars behind you?

Then there is my favorite driver...THE REGULATOR. These people drive in the passing lane at the speed limit only to slow down other drivers.

I feel much better!

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +619 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

It's not just governments - here's an excerpt from a recent phone call with our local cable provider - the one who switched to a new cable box system and "forgot" to notify roughly half of their customers. After waiting 6 days for the new boxes to come I was trying to install them and it needed a phone call to a computer to complete.

"Are you having trouble getting your cable television to work?"

"Yes."

"Please disconnect the cable connection from the back of the television, wait 60 seconds and reconnect it. We will then be able to run a test right here in the office to determine if your cable connection has been successful. Do not hang up. It is important for you to complete Step 2 before terminating this phone call."

"Ok. Done."

"Thank you. We are now going to run a check on your connection. This may take a few minutes to complete. Do not hang up. Please be advised that if Comcast also supplies your phone service there is a high likelihood that this call will automatically disconnect. We apologize for this inconvienence."

Dial tone.

The best part is - if you call back and manage to figure out how to bypass the automated system and get a live person that person will, very apologetically, tell you that a live person cannot complete a connection, only the computer can complete a connection - and if you have Comcast as your phone provider, the computer glitches and disconnects you.

But they're working on it.......

9. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

Good thread chico and I agree with you that State government leaves a lot to be desired.

My thought today was how many GOP candidates are going to attend The Donald's debate. At last count I think only Santorum and Newt are going to show up.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +815 / 2 / -9

Copy this and Fax it back to her.

"Hi, go f-ck yourself"
    Merry Christmas

11. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

That is a fantastic way to conduct business. I see a future in Public Relations for you.

12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Yes, all of those people suck.

I'm not sure yet (b/c I'm not back east enough anymore), but I think LA drivers are worse than Mass. And by "worse" I don't mean aggressive, I mean doing things that make them appear clueless at best, and are dangerous at worst.

This afternoon's driving peeve: people in parking lots who sit and wait forever for somebody to leave a space, even though there are plenty of other spaces around the lot. They just create traffic jams in the lot. (Disclaimer: I'm not saying this about people at Christmas, for example, or if the lot tells you there are few spaces left -- then it's perfectly fair to wait for the spot when somebody's getting to their car, imo.) They typically then require a 5- to 7-point turn to get into said spot. Oh, and they're women. ( ;) just kidding, Mrs)

13. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Support for my own belief that personal regulation is a significant problem in our country: there are now an estimate 4,500 federal crimes on the books (up from 3 in the Constitution)

(source: today's WSJ)

14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

more from the journal (last week)

Chuck and Stephanie Fromm of San Juan Capistrano, CA were fined $300 for violating an ordinance prohibiting groups of 3 or more from gathering without a permit, after hosting periodic bible studies for up to 50 people

(btw, that town is in Orange County -- a pretty conservative part of California)

15. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

;)

DEAR ABBY:

'I have always wanted to have my family history traced, but I can't afford to spend a lot of money to do it. Any suggestions?'

Brent in California

DEAR BRENT :

'Register as a Republican, and run for public office.'

Abby

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +445 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Good for Californians...you guys have too many instances of cults. This could have prevented a new one from beginning!

17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Want to be fair with the state employees...

Yesterday we received the paperwork in the mail. There was in fact a phone number, and not only did it not cut me off, it also told me a wait time, the wait time was minimal, and it proved to be accurate.

The woman I then spoke with was very helpful, expressed her own frustration with the way the paperwork pigeonholes employment situations, listened well, etc.

So here's the good to go with the bad. :)

18. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +279 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

:wha:

Do I need to get a permit to have people over on Christmas Eve now? What about a birthday party? Good grief.

19. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

yup...

now, to be fair again, the column went into issues of zoning regulations, etc., and brought up legitimate issues such as parking in neighborhoods. But it seems to me that if the concern is somebody regularly having gatherings that take up all parking in a neighborhood, that's what you make the law about, or you go to some form of permit system.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  20. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +279 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

They're coming after the "PR gang" next. Someone reported it and is now suspected of being a cult. Up to you to prove that it's not.