PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Casserly resigns as GM of Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK raise your hand if you saw that coming.

To show his gratitude, Tom Benson should hire him. :D

Last edited:
I hope my boss doesn't "resign" me anytime soon

Sounds like a preemptive strike on Casserly's part. There were rumors earlier this year that he would be fired after the draft. Add in the controversy around taking Mario Williams at #1, it may have been a good move by Casserly.

Lemme get this straight.
A general Manager of an NFL team has to lose his job because he didn't pick a college player who hasn't played a down in professional football.
He get's forced to retire because public opinion is negative regarding his decision to pick an equally highly athletic (who hasn't played an NFL down) defensive end.
What kind of ownership hires and fires people based on crap like this?
Who's to say that Williams won't be the deliverer of this franchise? When was the last time offense won a championship?

Last time? St. Louis Rams.

This Houston team is doomed.

wistahpatsfan said:
Lemme get this straight.
A general Manager of an NFL team has to lose his job because he didn't pick a college player who hasn't played a down in professional football.
He get's forced to retire because public opinion is negative regarding his decision to pick an equally highly athletic (who hasn't played an NFL down) defensive end.
What kind of ownership hires and fires people based on crap like this?
Who's to say that Williams won't be the deliverer of this franchise? When was the last time offense won a championship?

To get it straight, you can't start with a faulty premise. The draft had nothing to do with it. It has been talked about for months that Casserly would be asked to step down after the draft.

So does anyone think Bob Kraft will support Casserly's "pursuit of a League job" after Casserly accused the Patriots of BB & Neil Cornrich of "steering" Stephen Neal back to the Patriots instead of the Texans?

JoeSixPat said:
So does anyone think Bob Kraft will support Casserly's "pursuit of a League job" after Casserly accused the Patriots of BB & Neil Cornrich of "steering" Stephen Neal back to the Patriots instead of the Texans?

Hmmm, I hadn't heard about this. Is there something unethical about trying to re-sign your own players? Are we supposed to lose ALL of our free agents?

The Gr8est said:
Hmmm, I hadn't heard about this. Is there something unethical about trying to re-sign your own players? Are we supposed to lose ALL of our free agents?

It was not that were trying to resign him, but Casserly accused the Pats & the Agent of preventing other teams from having access to Neal. Thus having him sign a smaller deal then what the Texans were offering.

Casserly pays a King's ransom for Babin in '04 Draft

One of the biggest overreaches by a GM in NFL history: in 2004 Draft Casserly trades with TENN to get LB Jason Babin at #27, who at the time was a projected 3rd Round pick. As a very young team, Casserly mortgaged the future by having the Texans give up a boat load (approx. 4 including a 2 & 3) of picks for one player they could have easily picked up themselves in the second round if they just waited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back