PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacky Roberts

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Can someone explain something to me that I am obviously missing? I watched last night's game and the whole time I was wondering what anyone sees in this kid? He makes awful reads, holds onto the ball too long, and doesn't have a big arm. I dont' expect him to be the "next" great QB, but I've yet to see this kid do anything positive whatsoever. A little help here...

Jacky Roberts said:
Can someone explain something to me that I am obviously missing? I watched last night's game and the whole time I was wondering what anyone sees in this kid? He makes awful reads, holds onto the ball too long, and doesn't have a big arm. I dont' expect him to be the "next" great QB, but I've yet to see this kid do anything positive whatsoever. A little help here...

You got me... I have no idea why they didn't bring another veteran QB into camp either - now if they do everyone's going to say its because Cassel is bombing.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not as bad as you think. After starting out shaky he recovered his composure and was able to move the team up and down the field. That is more than you can say for a lot of back-ups in the league. Did you hear the announcers comment more than once that this was an unusual pre-season game as both teams put up a lot of offense (check out how the Jets and Browns did their first pre-season game). He does hold the ball too long, but isn't that a problem with lots of inexperienced QBs? Don't you think he's better than Rohan Davey?

PatsDeb said:
He's not as bad as you think. After starting out shaky he recovered his composure and was able to move the team up and down the field. That is more than you can say for a lot of back-ups in the league. Did you hear the announcers comment more than once that this was an unusual pre-season game as both teams put up a lot of offense (check out how the Jets and Browns did their first pre-season game). He does hold the ball too long, but isn't that a problem with lots of inexperienced QBs? Don't you think he's better than Rohan Davey?

I look at a guy like Matt Schaub and see him as someone who is a perfect backup QB. Davey was awful, but I'd hate to think the best option for the Patriots besides Cassell is Davey. Hopefully other NFL GM's see something in this kid and the Pats can dump him for a draft pick next year.

a little too harsh too soon. I'll give him two games to shake off the yips before deciding he's a KP [Kant Play]

Jacky Roberts said:
I look at a guy like Matt Schaub and see him as someone who is a perfect backup QB. Davey was awful, but I'd hate to think the best option for the Patriots besides Cassell is Davey. Hopefully other NFL GM's see something in this kid and the Pats can dump him for a draft pick next year.

I agree Shaub is good, but he's more experienced. I just go back to that Miami game at the end of last year where Cassell played very well against a defense that always gives us fits. I'm not ready to give up on him. Who else would you bring in? There is a dearth out there of good starting QBs, never mind back ups. The only one I thought might be good was Jay Fiedler, but he went off the market pretty quick.

PatsDeb said:
I agree Shaub is good, but he's more experienced. I just go back to that Miami game at the end of last year where Cassell played very well against a defense that always gives us fits. I'm not ready to give up on him. Who else would you bring in? There is a dearth out there of good starting QBs, never mind back ups. The only one I thought might be good was Jay Fiedler, but he went off the market pretty quick.

I"d be happier if we had a veteran backup than this guy. Miami has a guy in Joey Harrington (who admittedly is a bust), but at least he's got some starting experience with a horrific Lions club. Cassel hasn't even started a guy in college...

Cassel started the game in the worst possible way then he re-covered

personally i prefere wait the end of pre-season before judge him

italianpatthepatriot said:
Cassel started the game in the worst possible way then he re-covered

personally i prefere wait the end of pre-season before judge him

This team has bigger problems than Cassell, but trading him next winter would be fine by me.

Jacky Roberts said:

I disagree completely !! This kid has thrown the ball 20+ only twice in a game as a pro, and last night was the second time. After a slow start, I thought he played very well. He was something like 3-10 (.300 pct), and then went 10-16 (.625 pct), with one of those incompleteions a drop. I too was disappointed in his play early, but then he really started to come on. I disagree that he doesn't have a big arm, he showed a very strong arm on some of his passes, including one pass where **** Enberg commented how one of his passes went 60+ yards in the air, and though off target, it wasn't short, he overthrew it.

He definately has the talent, and actually has some escapability, and made a nice 15 yard run. I think the only thing this kid lacks is experience. He will learn to feel the pass rush, he will get better at his consistency, and his reads will be better, but this all comes with experience. I've seen more from Cassel in his 2 games than I did from Davey and any other Pats backup in the last few years. Let's not forget, he barely lost the starting QB competition to Matt Linehart at USC (and backed up Carson Palmer), he obviously has some talent.

I strongly disagree with your comments, I saw a lot to be excited about. Hell, as a rookie QB, he outperformed a lot of highly drafted QB's, including the #1 overall pick, Alex Smith (who had a nice game last night BTW). Not bad for an unknown 7th rounder.

I really would feel more comfortable having a veteran in here as the #3 QB, sort of like when a young Tom Brady had Damon Huard as a backup in 2001.

scott99 said:
I disagree completely !! This kid has thrown the ball 20+ only twice in a game as a pro, and last night was the second time. After a slow start, I thought he played very well. He was something like 3-10 (.300 pct), and then went 10-16 (.625 pct), with one of those incompleteions a drop. I too was disappointed in his play early, but then he really started to come on. I disagree that he doesn't have a big arm, he showed a very strong arm on some of his passes, including one pass where **** Enberg commented how one of his passes went 60+ yards in the air, and though off target, it wasn't short, he overthrew it.

He definately has the talent, and actually has some escapability, and made a nice 15 yard run. I think the only thing this kid lacks is experience. He will learn to feel the pass rush, he will get better at his consistency, and his reads will be better, but this all comes with experience. I've seen more from Cassel in his 2 games than I did from Davey and any other Pats backup in the last few years. Let's not forget, he barely lost the starting QB competition to Matt Linehart at USC (and backed up Carson Palmer), he obviously has some talent.

I strongly disagree with your comments, I saw a lot to be excited about. Hell, as a rookie QB, he outperformed a lot of highly drafted QB's, including the #1 overall pick, Alex Smith (who had a nice game last night BTW). Not bad for an unknown 7th rounder.

I really would feel more comfortable having a veteran in here as the #3 QB, sort of like when a young Tom Brady had Damon Huard as a backup in 2001.

I wish I could agree with you. I dont see how anyone (outside of the Cassell family) could say they've seen this kid's talent. He hasnt started since high school and through his Pats career so far, I haven't seen it either. Bottom line is if Brady goes down, no QB in the league will be able to fill his shoes, so it really doesn't matter anyhow.

Jacky Roberts said:
I wish I could agree with you. I dont see how anyone (outside of the Cassell family) could say they've seen this kid's talent. He hasnt started since high school and through his Pats career so far, I haven't seen it either. Bottom line is if Brady goes down, no QB in the league will be able to fill his shoes, so it really doesn't matter anyhow.

One thing we do agree on is that we both wish there was a veteran QB on the roster.

scott99 said:
One thing we do agree on is that we both wish there was a veteran QB on the roster.

I've been saying it all along. However, this guy threw 33 passes in college. TOTAL.

I like him for a project, but the people who said don't get a vet backup to help were basing opinions on something besides logic.

He'll benefit tremendously from practice and playing time over the years.

Cassel is not the real deal.
The comment about how he outplayed guys like Smith last year is crazy. Cassel played in one game that was meaningless against a team that was out of it in the end. That was it...nothing more, nothing less.

Of course, he has something, or he wouldn't be in the NFL, but he is going to be a career clipboard holder #3 and never amount to more! End of story!

I'm higher on Cassell than the rest of you. He can take a hit, something he does too much of right now. he's got a live arm. He's impressed both Brady and Belichick. He's already shown more than Rohan Davey did in 3+ years after starting at LSU. I think he's a diamond in the rough, but he's too raw right now. I'd rather take a flier with him at #2 than a brittle, stiff of a veteran who we know chokes in the clutch and has zero poise when it counts, like Fiedler, whom several people were lusting over. I saw Cassell play well against Miami last year and display an accurate gun on several passes. He also has a nice rapport with TEs in general, Watson in particular and Mills and Thomas last night. I feel that much of the trouble with Cassell was early jitters and terrible receivers. When his juices got flowing he played decently. Also, having Brandon Gorin playing left tackle, trying to block J. abraham one on one is flat out ridiculous. No QB is going to survive that for long. It's amazing how many people trust BB's judgment when it comes to Branch and doubt him when it comes to Cassell. Explain that logic. I trust BB and Brady on this one. If they see something, it's there. It's just too early now for us to see it. Give him a couple more games.

PonyExpress said:
I'm higher on Cassell than the rest of you. He can take a hit, something he does too much of right now. he's got a live arm. He's impressed both Brady and Belichick. He's already shown more than Rohan Davey did in 3+ years after starting at LSU. I think he's a diamond in the rough, but he's too raw right now. I'd rather take a flier with him at #2 than a brittle, stiff of a veteran who we know chokes in the clutch and has zero poise when it counts, like Fiedler, whom several people were lusting over. I saw Cassell play well against Miami last year and display an accurate gun on several passes. He also has a nice rapport with TEs in general, Watson in particular and Mills and Thomas last night. I feel that much of the trouble with Cassell was early jitters and terrible receivers. When his juices got flowing he played decently. Also, having Brandon Gorin playing left tackle, trying to block J. abraham one on one is flat out ridiculous. No QB is going to survive that for long. It's amazing how many people trust BB's judgment when it comes to Branch and doubt him when it comes to Cassell. Explain that logic. I trust BB and Brady on this one. If they see something, it's there. It's just too early now for us to see it. Give him a couple more games.

:agree:

Cassel is a work in progress, but as long as he keeps improving, and we saw just that last season as BB noted more than once, he will be a fine backup here for another year or two and then a nice trading chip. Schaub has a lot more experience courtesy of the fragile scrambler, yet he made one very poor decision last night while facing virtually no pressure. Cassel was getting knocked around out of the gate. It took him a while to find his footing, but once he did he was fine. I'd rather have an inexperienced kid with lots of talent and poise being groomed by this QB and staff backing up Tommy than some experienced JAG with a little name recognition but the kind of physical or judgement issues that landed them in position to be nothing beyond a backup.

I've seen several posters here today knock Matt's performance in the second half as being against scrubs while heaping praise on the guys he was leading at the time for their individual performances against the very same scrubs.

Cassel was flustered by gametime pressure as should be expected for a guy who has not played much contact football. Precisely why BB left him in to play the entire game. He also seemed inaccurate and stared down his intended receiver. Obviously Schaub is far better at this stage. Schaub is better than a good number of NFL starters including Vick.

Let Matt spend the summer playing several quarters before we decide to attempt to 'trade' what some value as a worthless backup. BB gave Rohan lots more time to disprove himself. Nothing Cassel has done (Miami, ATL)makes him look as bad as Rohan consistently looked.

I'm with Scott99. I like Cassel. After his shaky start last night, I think he did quite well. In my opinion, he has a great deal of talent--all he needs is some games under his belt. And I don't want to use up a roster spot with a third QB, a veteran, who wouldn't be very good and who would prevent Cassel from getting the playing time he needs to become a first-rate QB. If Brady goes down, I want Cassel in there. I know he might lose a few games, but I think he'll end up a winner.

It is WAY to early to tell one way or the other. I think the best thing in the world right now would be to bring in a veteran back-up just for camp, with a little roster bonus for his trouble, and let Cassel play extensively in all the preseason games to check him out further. Put the veteran on the shadow roster.

Cassel made some good decisions at the start to pass to open WRs, but he was a little inaccurate, causing some incompletions. Big deal, he can tighten up his game. The stripped ball was because he didn't step forward, again, that is just pocket awareness, which he can learn from. Running on 3rd downs was dumb, but with the WRs being well covered, you would have to double check the game film to see if anybody was open at all. It may have been his best option as a game manager not to risk an INT.

Bottom Line is we need to let this guy play before we decide whether he is back-up quality. We don't need another franchise here, just a BACK-UP!

Jacky Roberts said:

Matt Schaub could START for half the teams in the league. As a matter of fact he should be starting for the Falcons but Vick's contract wont allow that.

I am in the Matt Cassel camp. After a rough start last night, I liked what he did. In the beginning he did hold the ball too long, but seemed to get better as the game went along. His passes also had better accuracy the further into the game we went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back