PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel Would Rather Play and Lose

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're wrong. Hench took that the right way; Hobbs does appear to be getting a little nervous. And Burress did make him look stupid on that play.
Funny...this play wa mentioned when felger and Reiss talked about learning things on media day and talking to the assistants...many still believe it was all Hobb's fault on that play...NOT at all true. Which goes to say how little we all know about exactly what is going on out there on the field...and I include myself in that category of not undesrtanding as much as I would like..

I can understand people taking the position that they aren't going to believe Cassel's answer until they see direct quotes. But I can't understand people defending it as though it's a reasonable thing to say (assuming he said it).

Does anyone really need to explain why the guy can go F himself if true? It's a team game and team sport, and he basically admitted he's more concerned about individual goals than team goals.

As for Hobbs' answer, I have no problem with it and I don't think it reflects any lack of confidence. I think it reflects a guy who has had one too many questions suggesting he's too short, which is probably something he's heard all his life.

I have no real problem believing the Cassel thing, simply because Hench is a generally well-informed writer who wears his Boston bias on his sleeve. He's not going to make something up to make a player on one of his teams look stupid.

I think some of us fans almost can't comprehend that a current Patriot might be a dumbass.

Hench is a comedy writer wannabe who moonlights as a fanboy sports writer wannabe for Fox (almost enough said in and of itself) whose first love of course wear the red sox. I don't think if you asked BB or Big Vince if he's either a homer or well informed writer they'd answer in the affirmative.

I can understand people taking the position that they aren't going to believe Cassel's answer until they see direct quotes. But I can't understand people defending it as though it's a reasonable thing to say (assuming he said it).

Does anyone really need to explain why the guy can go F himself if true? It's a team game and team sport, and he basically admitted he's more concerned about individual goals than team goals.

Cause he wants to play.

Brady will never publicly admit it but, I bet every morning he wakes up and say, "thank you Mo Lewis"

Funny...this play wa mentioned when felger and Reiss talked about learning things on media day and talking to the assistants...many still believe it was all Hobb's fault on that play...NOT at all true. Which goes to say how little we all know about exactly what is going on out there on the field...and I include myself in that category of not undesrtanding as much as I would like..

It wasn't Hobbs' fault, but Burress outjumped him... which makes sense considering he has 3/4 of a foot on him.

Hench is a comedy writer wannabe who moonlights as a fanboy sports writer wannabe for Fox (almost enough said in and of itself) whose first love of course wear the red sox. I don't think if you asked BB or Big Vince if he's either a homer or well informed writer they'd answer in the affirmative.

He doesn't present himself as a "journalist" a la Easterbrook. Hench writes to entertain, and in the few years I've read his column, I don't think I've ever stopped for a second and said, "This guy has no clue what he's talking about." He's well-informed like Simmons is well-informed; that is, love them or hate them, they know enough to write well and entertain without looking like complete hacks.

Last edited:
He doesn't present himself as a "journalist" a la Easterbrook. Hench writes to entertain, and in the few years I've read his column, I don't think I've ever stopped for a second and said, "This guy has no clue what he's talking about." He's well-informed like Simmons is well-informed; that is, love them or hate them, they know enough to write well and entertain without looking like complete hacks.

And today he's decided to entertain at the expense of two nice kids who have done everything that's been asked of them as members of the best team in the history of the NFL. It's no different than what Felger does.
Tell you what, the day Hobbs doesn't bristle at his critics 'cause his checks still clear or Cassel walks in the office and tells coach he doesn't care if he ever plays as long as the team wins, is the day BB starts shopping both of them.

And BTW Kevin had and apparently still has some issues with the arrogance of our cheating HC whose antics he still maintains will marr perfection and he knows we're adirty team but he secretly admires that...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
And today he's decided to entertain at the expense of two nice kids who have done everything that's been asked of them as members of the best team in the history of the NFL. It's no different than what Felger does.
Tell you what, the day Hobbs doesn't bristle at his critics 'cause his checks still clear or Cassel walks in the office and tells coach he doesn't care if he ever plays as long as the team wins, is the day BB starts shopping both of them.

And BTW Kevin had and apparently still has some issues with the arrogance of our cheating HC whose antics he still maintains will marr perfection and he knows we're adirty team but he secretly admires that...:rolleyes:

Okay, so you admit that Hench is most likely telling the truth. That wasn't so bad, was it?

P.S. A lot of fans on this board still have issues with the camera thing. Doesn't mean they're not fans.

i'd have to hear it for myself or have matt confirm he said that. i don't believe it.

The decision belongs to the coach, and if BB put Cassell in, I'm sure Cassell, like any other QB, would rather play and lose than assume the coach was making a bad decision and decline the opportunity.

The decision belongs to the coach, and if BB put Cassell in, I'm sure Cassell, like any other QB, would rather play and lose than assume the coach was making a bad decision and decline the opportunity.

Any player who would rather play and lose is a player who doesn't accept whatever role they have been given to achieve team success, meaning there's a reason that they'll never make it on a Belichick team.

Any player who would rather play and lose is a player who doesn't accept whatever role they have been given to achieve team success, meaning there's a reason that they'll never make it on a Belichick team.

I don't think he was thinking of it that way. What if he was asked, "If you had the opportunity to play in the Superbowl, would you rather play and lose or not play at all?"

I don't think he was thinking of it that way. What if he was asked, "If you had the opportunity to play in the Superbowl, would you rather play and lose or not play at all?"

The correct answer is, "Not play at all." It's about team success. That's why the question I heard the other day is easy: whose career would you rather have, Marshall Faulk's or Kevin Faulk's?

I know my answer.

The correct answer is, "Not play at all." It's about team success. That's why the question I heard the other day is easy: whose career would you rather have, Marshall Faulk's or Kevin Faulk's?

I know my answer.

Well, I would rather be Eli Manning this weekend than Matt Cassel.

I love how this progresses--it goes from "I don't think he said it" to "Sure he said it, but that bad reporter shouldn't have taken advantage of him" to "It's understandable he'd rather play", etc. etc. etc.

And yeah--if this reporter randomly decided to just make something up, that's terrible. But come on, I doubt that happened.

Whether or not it might be a reasonable sentiment is completely beside the point. There are a lot of things that are "true." A guy might think he's better than a teammate getting more playing time, he might think his coach is a jerk, he might want to be traded. And you read players saying these kinds of things all the time....but not on the Patriots. If we're going to praise the Patriots (and we do, and should) for being team-oriented, and for not giving stupid quotes, then let's be honest about it when one of our own acts like, as another poster said, a meathead.

I saw Cassell throw that hideous pick 6 live at Dolphin Stadium and Brady had to come off the bench and lead them to a 7th TD of the day. Sorry, Matt, you stink, son, and thanks for keeping me in the Dolphin Stadium sauna for another 1/2 hour.

Hey....If he didn't throw that pick, Brady may not have broke the TD record.

Hey....If he didn't throw that pick, Brady may not have broke the TD record.

LOL, interesting. Glass half full way of looking at it.

If he made a gaffe like that, I'm surprised. I didn't like Cassell when I met him at charity event because he was if anything too smooth. (Also, true to form, he spent most of his time at a charity flag football game sitting on the bench. It's pretty obvious what his core competencies are.)

Did anyone see Cassel in that ESPN spoof about Tom Brady and his shoulder and then they show Cassell in the locker room looking dejected and then he says 'damn they promised me' and then throws down his gatoraid bottle

Maybe it was not so much a spoof for Cassel's point of view as it seemed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots