PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel vs. the schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, Brady's season is over and Matt Cassel is now the #1 quarterback. Since this happened, we've seen thread after thread bemoaning this fact or asserting that Cassel will be up to the task. I thought it was time to apply the new QB to the schedule, and just get back to football. So, assuming the worst, let's call Matt Cassel the equivalent of a Tavaris Jackson or whomever you consider to be at the bottom of the NFL QB barrel, and let's have a breakdown of your thoughts on wins and losses:

@ Jets
Dolphins
Bye
@49ers
@Chargers
Broncos
Rams
@Colts
Bills
Jets
@Dolphins
Steelers
@Seahawks
@Raiders
Cardinals
@Bills

Last edited:
10 and 6. I can't be bothered to break down my W/L's (basically, I assume losses against the powerhouses and wins against the mediocre especially at home) but that reminder of the schedule makes me feel more positive than I did before.

Last edited:
11-5 and I had guessed we would be 13-3 with Brady.

We still make the playoffs and we still win the division.

Mangini has a huge problem this week ... he has little to nothing to prepare his team defensively ... that will play to our favor.

@ Jets - win
Dolphins - win
Bye - loss
@49ers - win
@Chargers - win
Broncos - win
Rams - win
@Colts - win
Bills - win
Jets - win
@Dolphins - win
Steelers - win
@Seahawks - win
@Raiders - win
Cardinals - win
@Bills - win

I had to lower my expectations. :(

@ Jets - win
Dolphins - win
Bye - loss
@49ers - win
@Chargers - win
Broncos - win
Rams - win
@Colts - win
Bills - win
Jets - win
@Dolphins - win
Steelers - win
@Seahawks - win
@Raiders - win
Cardinals - win
@Bills - win

I had to lower my expectations. :(

Well, the bye is a tough matchup...

@ Jets L
Dolphins W
Bye
@49ers W
@Chargers L
Broncos L
Rams W
@Colts L
Bills W
Jets W
@Dolphins W
Steelers L
@Seahawks L
@Raiders W
Cardinals W
@Bills W

I'd say that's a conservative/pessimistic/realistic guess and it still sees us going 10-6. Playoffs here we come.

Iam also thinking 11-5,

@ Jets - win-->new QB for jets
Dolphins - win-->new QB for dolphins
Bye -
@49ers - win
@Chargers - loss--> same QB, running game.
Broncos - loss ---> improved cutler, defense
Rams - win
@Colts - loss--> the colts smell blood and will come out for this game
Bills - loss--> defense and special teams,
Jets - win
@Dolphins - win
Steelers - loss--> defense, same QB cheeseburger
@Seahawks - win
@Raiders - win
Cardinals - win
@Bills - win --> by now Cassel should be in a groove and ready for the playoffs.

Last edited:
I guess you could call me a chicken little but I say about 9-7 at best right now,maybe getting into the playoffs as a last wild card team.

Buffalo is poised to win this division as Trent Edwards looks like a pretty good QB this year based on last week against a very solid Seahawks defense.

I think NE will be in a close race with the Jets for the 2nd spot but NE gets the nod by a game or tie breaker

I guess you could call me a chicken little but I say about 9-7 at best right now,maybe getting into the playoffs as a last wild card team.

Buffalo is poised to win this division as Trent Edwards looks like a pretty good QB this year based on last week against a very solid Seahawks defense.

I think NE will be in a close race with the Jets for the 2nd spot but NE gets the nod by a game or tie breaker

Ok.... let me be at least moderately negative, but not "Chicken Little":

Split with Jets
Split with Bills
Sweep Dolphins

That's 4 wins right there, plus the one they've already got.....

Wins against:

Raiders
Rams
49ers

That puts them at 8 wins. So, in order to get to 9 wins, they'd need only 1 win against:

Cardinals
Seahawks
Broncos
Chargers
Colts
Steelers

11-5 and I had guessed we would be 13-3 with Brady.

We still make the playoffs and we still win the division.

Mangini has a huge problem this week ... he has little to nothing to prepare his team defensively ... that will play to our favor.

since when has mangini preparing his team done anything for them in the past?

Ok.... let me be at least moderately negative, but not "Chicken Little":

Split with Jets
Split with Bills
Sweep Dolphins

That's 4 wins right there, plus the one they've already got.....

Wins against:

Raiders
Rams
49ers

That puts them at 8 wins. So, in order to get to 9 wins, they'd need only 1 win against:

Cardinals
Seahawks
Broncos
Chargers
Colts
Steelers

I think this team will be hard pressed against better defenses and believe it or not the Raiders have a decent defense so I expect a loss there

I agree with the split on the Jets and Bills but am not so sure with the Dolphins since Parcells is handling the team and knows Belichick pretty good you might say and besides Pennington has done well vs NE- I think it could be a split there as well - 3-3 in the East is what I assume here

I'll probably get bashed for this and hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll be lucky if we get to .500. I just don't have the confidence that Cassel can win the close games like Brady could, and I think we're going to have a lot of close games.

I think this team will be hard pressed against better defenses and believe it or not the Raiders have a decent defense so I expect a loss there

I agree with the split on the Jets and Bills but am not so sure with the Dolphins since Parcells is handling the team and knows Belichick pretty good you might say and besides Pennington has done well vs NE- I think it could be a split there as well - 3-3 in the East is what I assume here

Ok, have you seen any of the Raiders game tonight? 3rd quarter, Broncos are up 27-0, and that's without Marshall playing due to suspension.

Last edited:
Ok, have you seen any of the Raiders game tonight? 3rd quarter, Broncos are up 27-0, and that's without Marshall playing due to suspension.

Right now the Raiders D looks so awful I think Appalachian State could give them a run for their money. :eek:

Bump for those who missed this last night

DeAngelo Hall was Eddie Royal's beeatch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes