PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel & Vrabel at Chiefs camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueBeliever

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
(Mods - feel free to move, but I started this thread here since these guys are former Pats.)

Well this was my adventure Saturday. I had never been to River Falls, though I did consider going to the UW there because they have a well-known journalism school there. So me and my bud get there and half the license plates are from states other than Wisconsin - there were people from Missouri (natch), Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, even South Dakota, all driving to this dinky little town in Wisconsin to see the Chiefs open their camp.

I took this sign personally:

DSCN0310.jpg

Matt and his chief competition (pardon the pun) for the starting job, Brodie Croyle:

DSCN0092-2.jpg

I swear I have a picture of Brady where he is positioned exactly like this:

DSCN0278.jpg

A little closer:

DSCN0093.jpg

Sans helmet:

DSCN0299.jpg

Vrabel hustles in a drill (picture is blurry as he was WAY across the field):

DSCN0215-1-1.jpg

A better shot, closer. Here he was blocking a field goal/extra point:

DSCN0245.jpg

Looks like he's fittin' in with his new family:

DSCN0231.jpg

"What the hle is a guy in a Pats jersey doing here?":

DSCN0233.jpg

Continued in the next post...

Saw a few of these:

DSCN0314.jpg

A nacho cheese head?:

DSCN0260.jpg

Found a couple of my brothers! These were the only other people there wearing Pats stuff. This fellow is from Salem, Mass. and moved to River Falls a few years ago (silly me, I never even asked his name, though his son's name is Quinn):

DSCN0309.jpg

Bet Matt would love to see a Welker jersey on his new team. (Quinn is standing next to his mom, who was hoping to get a glimpse of Matt w/o his helmet ;) ):

DSCN0312.jpg

My friend David and Larry Johnson, both Penn State alums:

DSCN0326.jpg

Unfortunately, neither Matt nor Mike came anywhere near the area for signing autographs. :( I took along a photo of Mike catching a TD in Super Bowl XXXIX for him to sign, and a generic Pats hat for Matt to sign (I was going to take my SB XXXIX champs hat, but I double-checked and saw that we didn't actually draft him until AFTER that game.) Had I known Larry Johnson was going to be available, I would've brought something with a Chiefs logo on it for him to sign.

Also unfortunately, I found out yesterday that this will be the last year the Chiefs hold camp in River Falls. Starting next year they'll be at a school in Missouri, so this was the first and last camp of theirs I'll go to. :(

Cool pics! I really hope that Cassel does well with the Chiefs.

Appreciate the coverage. Keep 'em coming!

Vrabes looks weird in that get-up.lol

Honestly, it just pains me to see Vrabel in another teams uniform!!

Great pics though!! :)

Vrabel50Fan - that picture on the right side of your signature is the one I was hoping to have Mike sign (albeit from a different angle.)

It was also a bit jarring to see Cassel wearing a different number, but I believe Len Dawson wore 16 for KC so they probably have retired it.

Cool stuff. Hope the Chiefs have a really good year and win the West.

Cool stuff. Hope the Chiefs have a really good year and win the West.

I was talking to the other Pats fan there about this; he feels the Chiefs are going to have a terrible season even with their new additions. He did say, however, that they will benefit from a lousy division; he thinks the Broncos are going to implode because McDaniels isn't ready to be a head coach, and the Raiders, well, are the Raiders. San Diego - who knows?

Read some camp coverage this morning and Cassel is impressing. The new number is what you get when you add 1 plus 6. Dawson is their color commentator and given the contract he took that opportunity to ask Cassel what he'd pay to get his old number back (it is retired). Always quick on his feet like his mentor, Matt said it was retired for a reason and he was good to go.

The have a tough road to hoe. The good news is LJ is standing out in camp in pads. Dorsey on the other hand hasn't been cleared to participate yet apparently due to weight gain and lack of condition...

They are expecting it to be a process in KC and while the team can't admit that the fans seem to be coming to terms with it. More important to halt the backslide and establish that you have your franchise QB in place for a long term rebuild than to win a few more games this season or that. They've only won 6 games in the last two seasons. If they can win 6 or more this season it will be a sign of progress. If Cassel projects as the real deal, and IMO he will, then you begin to expand and develop your offense while building a fundamentally solid defense that can defend a lead. Pioli knows the drill.

They will benefit from facing Oakland and could split with Denver and SD. Tough to have to face Pittsburgh and Baltimore (opener on the road) as well as the NFCE through mid season. They have Cleveland and Buffalo late at home and Matt could pull them through those and finish strong. 6-8 wins would be tremendous. More would be insane progress. SD is such a jeckyl and hyde team who knows what 9 wins could earn you in the AFCW.

I know we all want these two to do well in KC, but if they were to knock us out of the playoffs, would we feel the same way? Just a thought...

Anyway, great pictures...

Thanks for the report, appreciate seeing the photos as well!

Very cool -- and thank you. The picture of Vrabel in a Chiefs jersey brought tears to me eyes, but that's just me.

The new number is what you get when you add 1 plus 6.

Yeah, I knew that... wanted to see if anyone else knew. :verycool:

And you're right on with all the other stuff you said. The fans there yesterday were proud and optimistic but they also seemed to recognize their team isn't one step away from hoisting the trophy, ya know?

And like you said, in their division 9-7 is entirely possible. SD is my pick for the division title, but with a few good breaks KC could come in second. Cassel had some bad games last year, and I don't know enough about KC's O-line to say how well they'll protect him, but overall he's got a good head on his shoulders.

Very cool pictures and descriptions, we'll miss your Vrable! (same Matty). I think the Chiefs have a legit shot to win the division in the years to come, as for this year the Chargers are still too strong. Once this division had little to no interest to me but with the former staff and players I think it will be hard not to pay attention.

Looks like he's fittin' in with his new family:

DSCN0231.jpg
Zach Thomas says he and Mike Vrabel have formed an unlikely bond | Red Zone
Zach Thomas says he and Mike Vrabel have formed an unlikely bond

“I’ve always hated that guy,” Thomas said with a laugh. “He was in New England, and I was in Miami every year. I always thought he was a real jerk. But I’ll tell you what: I really like playing beside him. Being veterans, our communication clicks.”
I'll give folks one guess who the mighty midget walking alongside Vrabes is...

our communication clicks.”

heh..yeah, so does their knee cartilege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back