PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel throws 4 TD's while mourning. Why didnt he get the coverage Favre did?

Status
Not open for further replies.
===============================================
Why, because you are talking about Brett favre and Cassel. Everybody knows who Brett Favre is.
Great game by Matt, but he doesn't have Brett Favre's massive ego.

Why would that bother any one.

Fixed your post for you. :D

I really didn't take the premise of this diary seriously because of course Cassel does not have the resume of a Favre. Remember the Sean Taylor-Marquise Hill coverage? Stars get more of it.

But then I read Eric Karabell's article on Cassel's fantasy numbers on ESPN, and he said this:

It wasn't quite like the memorable Brett Favre Monday night game a few years back, when the future Hall of Fame quarterback overcame the personal tragedy of losing his father to toss four touchdown passes against the Raiders, but what Matt Cassel did was nearly as impressive.

Six days after Cassel's father Greg passed away, the New England Patriots quarterback, who wasn't a sure thing to play, duplicated Favre's four-touchdown effort and led his team to 35 first-half points en route to a 49-26 statement win.

I wish Karabell could explain the difference and then I'd know why one performance was more impressive than the other. It would simply be sufficient to say, Favre is a NFL icon. Period. Stop. No need to compare them and say one man's comeback after losing his father was more impressive than the other's.

I'd bet Matt's first season starting is more successful than Brett Fart's ever was.

(Welcome to the Board!)

I'm not sure that this says anything about the future, but Matt is definitely in good company when it comes to his first season...so far.

Favre started 13 games in 1992, the Pack's record in those games was 8--5 (.615). He threw for 3,227 yards, 18 TD's and 13 INT's, completing 302 of 471 Pass Attempts (64.1%). His Pass Rating was 85.3. He was sacked 34 times for a total loss of 208 yards. He ran for 198 yards and fumbled 12 times. He scored 1 TD. The Pack's offense was ranked 17th in terms of Points Scored and 15th in terms of Total Yards. The Pack did not go to the Playoffs.

So far, in 2008, Cassel has started or played nearly all of 14 games. The Pats record in those games is 9--5 (.643). He has thrown for 3,270 yards, 18 TD's and 11 INT's, completing 301 of 472 Pass Attempts (63.8%). His Pass Rating is 87.1. He has been sacked 44 times for a total loss of 202 yards. He has run for 232 yards and fumbled 6 times. He has scored 2 TD's. The Pat's offense is ranked 7th in terms of Points Scored and 6th in terms of Total Yards. The Pats are in contention for a Playoff spot, but have not yet won one.

Brady started 14 games in 2001, the Pat's record in those games was 11--3 (.786). He threw for 2,483 yards, 18 TD's and 12 INT's, completing 264 of 413 Pass Attempts (63.9%). His Pass Rating was 86.5. He was sacked 41 times for a total loss of 216 yards. He ran for 43 yards and fumbled 12 times. He scored 0 TD's. The Pats went to the Playoffs and won the SB. The Pat's offense was ranked 6th in terms of Points Scored and 19th in terms of Total Yards.

But then I read Eric Karabell's article on Cassel's fantasy numbers on ESPN, and he said this:

I wish Karabell could explain the difference and then I'd know why one performance was more impressive than the other. It would simply be sufficient to say, Favre is a NFL icon. Period. Stop. No need to compare them and say one man's comeback after losing his father was more impressive than the other's.

Good point. Agree completely. Does Eric Karabell have a feedback email?

(Welcome to the Board!)

I'm not sure that this says anything about the future, but Matt is definitely in good company when it comes to his first season...so far.

Favre started 13 games in 1992, the Pack's record in those games was 8--5 (.615). He threw for 3,227 yards, 18 TD's and 13 INT's, completing 302 of 471 Pass Attempts (64.1%). His Pass Rating was 85.3. He was sacked 34 times for a total loss of 208 yards. He ran for 198 yards and fumbled 12 times. He scored 1 TD. The Pack's offense was ranked 17th in terms of Points Scored and 15th in terms of Total Yards. The Pack did not go to the Playoffs.

So far, in 2008, Cassel has started or played nearly all of 14 games. The Pats record in those games is 9--5 (.643). He has thrown for 3,270 yards, 18 TD's and 11 INT's, completing 301 of 472 Pass Attempts (63.8%). His Pass Rating is 87.1. He has been sacked 44 times for a total loss of 202 yards. He has run for 232 yards and fumbled 6 times. He has scored 2 TD's. The Pat's offense is ranked 7th in terms of Points Scored and 6th in terms of Total Yards. The Pats are in contention for a Playoff spot, but have not yet won one.

Brady started 14 games in 2001, the Pat's record in those games was 11--3 (.786). He threw for 2,483 yards, 18 TD's and 12 INT's, completing 264 of 413 Pass Attempts (63.9%). His Pass Rating was 86.5. He was sacked 41 times for a total loss of 216 yards. He ran for 43 yards and fumbled 12 times. He scored 0 TD's. The Pats went to the Playoffs and won the SB. The Pat's offense was ranked 6th in terms of Points Scored and 19th in terms of Total Yards.

nice stats! Cassel and Favre's opening season stats are uncannily similar :eek:

Fair or not, Favre's performance was magnified due to the fact that it was a Monday night game in the national spotlight.

Let's face facts - if it had been Brady's dad and not Cassel's it would have been a major storyline covered massively by ESPN, SI, etc., and it would have been hailed as just as an amazing performace as Favre's. The fact is that Cassel isn't a star yet, so who cares.

The comparisons to the Sean Taylor/Marquise Hill thing from last year is right on. The sports media is nothing but paparazzi, so if you aren't a star, you aren't a story.

Did everyone forget the Kicker of the Bears whose 2 month old son died in his crib earlier in the season and then he played in their next game just a few days later and kicked the game winning field goal for Da Bears?

NOW THAT BEATS FAVRE AND CASSEL'S STORIES!

Just an FYI - It was not Robbie Gould, the kicker for the Bears, whose 2 month old son died. It was Matt Bryant's of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The reason that Bryant kicked that weekend was because the Bucs had petitioned the league and attempted to get a special salary cap dispensation so they could bring in another kicker while Bryant was grieving. The NFL say sorry, can't do it. So, the Bucs asked Matt if he would be willing to go. He put his grief aside and played that weekend.

Its not a competition to see who over-came the most. This was brought up to show the media's inordinate love for Brett Favre and how they are jerks to other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes