PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel hoping to be traded sooner rather than later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cassel Hoping to Be Traded Sooner Than Later

Assuming Stafford and Sanchez don't decide to wait and throw to their own receivers at their Pro-Days...

Even better if they do ... teams will be getting nervous. Would you want to bet the house on a single pro day workout, without any direct comparisons? Neither QB played in any of the all star games with the ability to show themselves or prolonged periods of practice. Plus, as was previously mentioned, teams will have a much better job of attracting FA WR talent if they have a QB in place.

I am not sure this would make sense from a strategic viewpoint if they really want to trade him, but the Pats could also address their cap issue by signing Matt to a long term deal before the free agency signing period, could they not? They could then amortize the guaranteed portion of the deal (which would likely need to exceed the 14.65M tag cost) over the life of the deal.

I would think that any trading partner would prefer to work out their own deal for Matt, and their is also the matter of cap acceleration of the unamortized portion of guaranteed money, so I would assume that if they do sign him they don't intend to trade him.

Even better if they do ... teams will be getting nervous. Would you want to bet the house on a single pro day workout, without any direct comparisons? Neither QB played in any of the all star games with the ability to show themselves or prolonged periods of practice. Plus, as was previously mentioned, teams will have a much better job of attracting FA WR talent if they have a QB in place.
whistle.gif

What's the over/under on how long till Matt appears on a Wheaties box?

I would think nothing will happen until the combine workout days are complete. it's hard to imagine that any team would do something until all the due diligence is complete on the draft class.

It might be to our benefit if the QB class turns into a collection real dogs.

Teams are quite capable of multitasking. I think in the upcoming weeks that the Pats will field some 'feelers' from teams who are interested to know how much the compensation would cost to acquire Cassel. And meanwhile those teams will also be poring over Cassel's game film.

As far as other teams' scouting scouting goes, I'm sure they are poring over scouting reports and game film of the prospects before the combine even starts. The combine gives them the chance for the important medical checkups, interviews, and of course the measurements and drills. After all those various processes near completion, I think that the serious teams will want to move on obtaining Cassel quickly.

Obviously Cassel needs to be dealt before the draft if we're to gain any real impact this year, and hopefully before free agency opens so that the Pats pocketbooks will be full and they can pursue the free agents that they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back