Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cassel hoping to be traded sooner rather than later

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JSn, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

I have no idea what Patriots Gab is, but it cites a yahoo report containing stuff from "people in cassel's camp".

Anyway...

Cassel Hoping to Be Traded Sooner Than Later Patriots Gab

2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Re: Cassel Hoping to Be Traded Sooner Than Later

[edit] my comment's issue was answered in later posts by others so is now non-current
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +409 / 1 / -2

Not convinced of the source, but the information makes sense. If I were Cassel, I'd want something long term in case I don't gel as well with the new team next year.
  4. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 59 / -71

Disable Jersey

Here's the whole thing from Yahoo!, since it's just a small passage in a larger article Quarterbacks face an unsettled landscape - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

5. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Actually, they can. In fact, there's absolutely no reason not to.

As the thread about the legality of tag and trade indicates, the Patriots can trade Cassel and there's is absolutely nothing wrong with it in the least - so why are you suggesting there is a problem with tag and trade?
  6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No surprise here.
    Doing this sooner rather than later benefits all involved.
    This way, Cassell participates in all the off-season programs and such.
    It would be nice for him to hit the ground running next season.
    I'm really happy for him.
  7. rsd

rsd Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I would guess that Cassel won't be traded until around the Draft (maybe a few days before). If he isn't traded by then, then there may be some concern about Brady or obviously the picks they get won't be until 2010.
  8. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

I believe that any grumblings are to the effect the tag and trade violates the "spirit" of the franchise designation process under the CBA, which is designed to compensate an essential player when an agreement cannot be reached but a team is permitted to hold him for one year at substantial cost.

The thing about "spirit" arguments - they are easily countered by stating if the NFL wants to prohibit the tactic, it presumably would have put it in writing in the use of the tag and barred player transactions for those tagged. If the practice is unacceptable, make it illegal, don't frown upon it.
  9. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +680 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

I agree. It's convenient for us to use this leverage in an obvious trade situation. Though completely legal, nothing is gained for management by stirring up resentment over an issue (franchise tag) many players don't like.
  10. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I would think nothing will happen until the combine workout days are complete. it's hard to imagine that any team would do something until all the due diligence is complete on the draft class.

It might be to our benefit if the QB class turns into a collection real dogs.
  11. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

A trade can't happen until 12:01 am February 27th. Obviously a trade can be agreed upon beforehand, but it cannot be executed until then.
  12. Michigan Dave

Michigan Dave Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree. It makes perfect sense for him to hope it happens sooner rather than later so that he can get acquainted with the new offense, build rapport with his teammates, etc. That said, while I think we'll treat him fairly, I don't think anything other than the best interests of the team will be considered for when the trigger is pulled on a potential deal.
  13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

You're right, my bad.
    They already satisfied the 'good faith' requirement, and Cassel is unlikely to file a grievance... so we're in the clear it appears
  14. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +599 / 20 / -14

There is no reason to avoid being obvious, there is no restriction against tagging and trading
  15. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I acknowledged that in my last post, it appears we are in the clear.
  16. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Just like everything else, value is determined by supply and demand. The Pats can obviously only affect the supply side of the equation.

Their opening statement is that Cassel is elite and they are willing to blow up their salary cap in order to keep him on the roster for 2009. This should discourage any low-ball offers. In fact, the media reports by key sources that they anticipate the Pats are intending to hold onto Cassel also help with this situation.

If the general perception was clearly that the Pats had to deal Cassel and the deal had to be early to allow FA dealings...well the value for Cassel would be significantly less. I believe the Pats have a number in mind...something like 2nd in 2009 and conditional 2nd in 2010 which becomes a 1st with reasonable playing time. That would be starting at the Schaub number but getting additional value if Cassel doesn't get hurt or totally flop. My reasoning behind this is that I don't believe that 2009 is the year to have an additional later 1st round pick...but the depth of the 2009 class is pretty solid.

Whatever the Pats are looking for, the impression that you either pay this number (or close) or else they will keep Cassel is just good business. Tagging him early gets the process moving now. The next milestone is the combine. If the QBs there look ordinary or even flawed, the Pats position will be strengthened.
  17. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +83 / 4 / -0

Good points. I'd be against a conditional pick though. Cassel's value is quite high right now. Depending upon the team we trade him to, its unlikely he will put up the same #s he did this season. IE, if we - god forbid for poor Cassel - ship him to Detroit...I'd rather force teams into paying a premium, if we can avoid it, I'd hope we'd avoid conditional picks.
  18. CanadianPat'sFan

CanadianPat'sFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is what happened when Matt Schaub was traded in March a couple of years ago. If a team is going to make a play for Cassel you would think they would want their new Franchise QB early in order to get him as ready as they can before the season starts.
  19. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,044 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Assuming the Pats do intend to trade him (and yes, I assume that), the beautiful thing is that it's in everyone's best interest to get it done ASAP. Cassel wants to get settled and learning his new offense. The new team wants certainty about their QB situation...and to get him settled and learning his new offense. And the Pats want their salary cap back before free agency in in their rear-view mirror.

When all parties' interests coincide, deals usually get done.
  20. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +483 / 7 / -5

To play Devil's advocate here--don't the Patriots have two rather mutually exclusive goals here? (A) Have as good a backup QB as possible, (B) have as small a cap hit for Cassel as possible?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.