PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel hoping to be traded sooner rather than later

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I have no idea what Patriots Gab is, but it cites a yahoo report containing stuff from "people in cassel's camp".

Anyway...

Cassel Hoping to Be Traded Sooner Than Later Patriots Gab

Pats QB Matt Cassel already has had the franchise tag placed on him for 2009, but Yahoo Sports reports that the QB wants to be traded sooner rather than later. Here is the report:

New England is doing everything it can to make people believe that it’s going to keep Matt Cassel after declaring him a franchise player this week. However, the folks in Cassel’s camp are hopeful to get him traded before the draft so that he can get a long-term contract rather than simply play on a one-year deal for $14.5 million. Expect Patriots coach Bill Belichick to drive a hard bargain, but he easily should have at least a couple of suitors with Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, Tampa Bay, San Francisco and Kansas City all having unsettled quarterback situations.

Re: Cassel Hoping to Be Traded Sooner Than Later

[edit] my comment's issue was answered in later posts by others so is now non-current

Last edited:

Not convinced of the source, but the information makes sense. If I were Cassel, I'd want something long term in case I don't gel as well with the new team next year.

Here's the whole thing from Yahoo!, since it's just a small passage in a larger article Quarterbacks face an unsettled landscape - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

8. Who wants Matt Cassel? New England is doing everything it can to make people believe that it’s going to keep Cassel after declaring him a franchise player this week. However, the folks in Cassel’s camp are hopeful to get him traded before the draft so that he can get a long-term contract rather than simply play on a one-year deal for $14.5 million. Expect Patriots coach Bill Belichick to drive a hard bargain, but he easily should have at least a couple of suitors with Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, Tampa Bay, San Francisco and Kansas City all having unsettled quarterback situations.

Last edited:

The Patriots can't be so obvious about tag and trade, as the article suggests

Actually, they can. In fact, there's absolutely no reason not to.

As the thread about the legality of tag and trade indicates, the Patriots can trade Cassel and there's is absolutely nothing wrong with it in the least - so why are you suggesting there is a problem with tag and trade?

No surprise here.
Doing this sooner rather than later benefits all involved.
This way, Cassell participates in all the off-season programs and such.
It would be nice for him to hit the ground running next season.
I'm really happy for him.

I would guess that Cassel won't be traded until around the Draft (maybe a few days before). If he isn't traded by then, then there may be some concern about Brady or obviously the picks they get won't be until 2010.

I believe that any grumblings are to the effect the tag and trade violates the "spirit" of the franchise designation process under the CBA, which is designed to compensate an essential player when an agreement cannot be reached but a team is permitted to hold him for one year at substantial cost.

The thing about "spirit" arguments - they are easily countered by stating if the NFL wants to prohibit the tactic, it presumably would have put it in writing in the use of the tag and barred player transactions for those tagged. If the practice is unacceptable, make it illegal, don't frown upon it.

I believe that any grumblings are to the effect the tag and trade violates the "spirit" of the franchise designation process under the CBA, which is designed to compensate an essential player when an agreement cannot be reached but a team is permitted to hold him for one year at substantial cost.

The thing about "spirit" arguments - they are easily countered by stating if the NFL wants to prohibit the tactic, it presumably would have put it in writing in the use of the tag and barred player transactions for those tagged. If the practice is unacceptable, make it illegal, don't frown upon it.

I agree. It's convenient for us to use this leverage in an obvious trade situation. Though completely legal, nothing is gained for management by stirring up resentment over an issue (franchise tag) many players don't like.

I would think nothing will happen until the combine workout days are complete. it's hard to imagine that any team would do something until all the due diligence is complete on the draft class.

It might be to our benefit if the QB class turns into a collection real dogs.

I would think nothing will happen until the combine workout days are complete. it's hard to imagine that any team would do something until all the due diligence is complete on the draft class.

It might be to our benefit if the QB class turns into a collection real dogs.

A trade can't happen until 12:01 am February 27th. Obviously a trade can be agreed upon beforehand, but it cannot be executed until then.

No surprise here.
Doing this sooner rather than later benefits all involved.
This way, Cassell participates in all the off-season programs and such.
It would be nice for him to hit the ground running next season.
I'm really happy for him.

I agree. It makes perfect sense for him to hope it happens sooner rather than later so that he can get acquainted with the new offense, build rapport with his teammates, etc. That said, while I think we'll treat him fairly, I don't think anything other than the best interests of the team will be considered for when the trigger is pulled on a potential deal.

As the thread about the legality of tag and trade indicates, the Patriots can trade Cassel and there's is absolutely nothing wrong with it in the least

You're right, my bad.
They already satisfied the 'good faith' requirement, and Cassel is unlikely to file a grievance... so we're in the clear it appears

The Patriots can't be so obvious about tag and trade, as the article suggests

There is no reason to avoid being obvious, there is no restriction against tagging and trading

Yeah, I acknowledged that in my last post, it appears we are in the clear.

Just like everything else, value is determined by supply and demand. The Pats can obviously only affect the supply side of the equation.

Their opening statement is that Cassel is elite and they are willing to blow up their salary cap in order to keep him on the roster for 2009. This should discourage any low-ball offers. In fact, the media reports by key sources that they anticipate the Pats are intending to hold onto Cassel also help with this situation.

If the general perception was clearly that the Pats had to deal Cassel and the deal had to be early to allow FA dealings...well the value for Cassel would be significantly less. I believe the Pats have a number in mind...something like 2nd in 2009 and conditional 2nd in 2010 which becomes a 1st with reasonable playing time. That would be starting at the Schaub number but getting additional value if Cassel doesn't get hurt or totally flop. My reasoning behind this is that I don't believe that 2009 is the year to have an additional later 1st round pick...but the depth of the 2009 class is pretty solid.

Whatever the Pats are looking for, the impression that you either pay this number (or close) or else they will keep Cassel is just good business. Tagging him early gets the process moving now. The next milestone is the combine. If the QBs there look ordinary or even flawed, the Pats position will be strengthened.

Last edited:

Whatever the Pats are looking for, the impression that you either pay this number (or close) or else they will keep Cassel is just good business. Tagging him early gets the process moving now. The next milestone is the combine. If the QBs there look ordinary or even flawed, the Pats position will be strengthened.

Good points. I'd be against a conditional pick though. Cassel's value is quite high right now. Depending upon the team we trade him to, its unlikely he will put up the same #s he did this season. IE, if we - god forbid for poor Cassel - ship him to Detroit...I'd rather force teams into paying a premium, if we can avoid it, I'd hope we'd avoid conditional picks.

I agree. It makes perfect sense for him to hope it happens sooner rather than later so that he can get acquainted with the new offense, build rapport with his teammates, etc. That said, while I think we'll treat him fairly, I don't think anything other than the best interests of the team will be considered for when the trigger is pulled on a potential deal.

This is what happened when Matt Schaub was traded in March a couple of years ago. If a team is going to make a play for Cassel you would think they would want their new Franchise QB early in order to get him as ready as they can before the season starts.

Assuming the Pats do intend to trade him (and yes, I assume that), the beautiful thing is that it's in everyone's best interest to get it done ASAP. Cassel wants to get settled and learning his new offense. The new team wants certainty about their QB situation...and to get him settled and learning his new offense. And the Pats want their salary cap back before free agency in in their rear-view mirror.

When all parties' interests coincide, deals usually get done.

Assuming the Pats do intend to trade him (and yes, I assume that), the beautiful thing is that it's in everyone's best interest to get it done ASAP. Cassel wants to get settled and learning his new offense. The new team wants certainty about their QB situation...and to get him settled and learning his new offense. And the Pats want their salary cap back before free agency in in their rear-view mirror.

When all parties' interests coincide, deals usually get done.

To play Devil's advocate here--don't the Patriots have two rather mutually exclusive goals here? (A) Have as good a backup QB as possible, (B) have as small a cap hit for Cassel as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes