Cassel gets a parting gift from the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Namely, a check for $238,160:

Quarterback Matt Cassel topped the Patriots' earners in performance-based pay in 2008. Cassel, who enjoyed a remarkable rise from backup to franchise player, earned an additional $238,160 as part of the program.

The $238,160 was the 29th highest figure among NFL players.

TFB also got a check . . . for $121.

On a related note, Jay Cutler could really learn a few lessons from Mr. Cassel, if what his new HC says is true—although I do have to question the part in bold.

That may be an underrated factor in the trade that brought Cassel from New England. The Chiefs coveted Cassel for more than his on-the-field skills.

“Oh, yeah,” Haley said Tuesday during the NFL meetings. “Kurt Warner, you could not get him away from football. It was full time. (Cassel) shows a lot of those same characteristics. He’s into football. I don’t think there’s a whole bunch else to him. He’s got a chip on his shoulder. He was told he wasn’t good enough to play for a long time. That served him well last year, and hopefully it will serve him well going forward.

“He’s calling me every day for numbers to call some of the other guys on the team. We picked up Bobby Engram, and Bobby Engram is texting me wanting Cassel’s number. At the same time, a text is coming in from Cassel: ‘Can I get Engram’s number?’ So he’s doing all of those things that get you excited as a coach. You don’t have to worry about what Matt Cassel is doing most of the time. He’ll be worrying about football.”

[Everyone outside of Foxboro might have been saying it about him, but no one in Foxboro was saying that to him.]

Namely, a check for $238,160:

TFB also got a check . . . for $121.

On a related note, Jay Cutler could really learn a few lessons from Mr. Cassel, if what his new HC says is true—although I do have to question the part in bold.

[Everyone outside of Foxboro might have been saying it about him, but no one in Foxboro was saying that to him.]

Why did Brady get a check for $121 dollars?

Actually isn't the performance based pay given out by the league and not the individual teams? So technically, I think the title of this thread is wrong. He got a parting gift from the league.

Actually isn't the performance based pay given out by the league and not the individual teams? So technically, I think the title of this thread is wrong. He got a parting gift from the league.

It's mandated by the league, but the actual calculation is done on a team-by-team basis.

That's another poorly handled program. I read last week that all players get something. It's entirely based on playing time. It was initially intended to compensate overperforming players who were grossly underpaid. Players who are among the top ten at their position earnings wise should be exempted from the program... I believe Manning got a check for $4000 last week (that apparently he donates to his foundation) that some poor bastard making less than $300K who may get cut after one season probably could have used (and there are a lot of those on Indy's roster...).

I know, those poor saps who only make 300k have it rough.

300k is enough for you to live on comfortably for 50 years then?

No, but it's more than enough to get a head start on life while you get a real job.

Wish someone had given me $300k when I was 24 to start life with. Sure would have made things easier. These guys don't even have school loans to worry about, either.

No, but it's more than enough to get a head start on life while you get a real job.

Wish someone had given me $300k when I was 24 to start life with. Sure would have made things easier. These guys don't even have school loans to worry about, either.

What Mo was noting is that Peyton Manning doesn't need the $4000, but a player destined for 1-3 years at minimum salary could sure as hell use that coin. They're not all going to end up as CEOs of fortune 500 companies.

As for the "real job" thing, come on.

What Mo was noting is that Peyton Manning doesn't need the $4000, but a player destined for 1-3 years at minimum salary could sure as hell use that coin. They're not all going to end up as CEOs of fortune 500 companies.

As for the "real job" thing, come on.

Life doesn't end when they retire from the league before they even turn 30. If they can't play football any more, they can still get different employment.

Life doesn't end when they retire from the league before they even turn 30. If they can't play football any more, they can still get different employment.

I agree with you guys. I suggest we all boycott the NFL forever so our hard earned dollars aren't used to subsidize the extravagant lifestyles of these lazy bums.

So what does that have to do with them being more needy of $4,000 than Peyton Manning? Again, can you live comfortably for 50 years on just $300,000? Manning making $15 million is a bit of a different picture, don't you think?

Lots of guys with permanent disabilities and a degree (if at all) in basketweaving highly sought after...for jobs that tend to pay at least minimum wage...which is tough to support extended family on as players who grew up in poverty often attempt to...although Uncle Sam doesn't take 50% off the top of those jobs...

The toll that playing college and pro football takes on the human body is something few post football careers let alone a brief pro career can compensate you sufficiently for. And there are only so many opportunities for driven blowhards like Fred and Steve to carve post football careers out of association with the game. Most of those go to guys who already make a bundle on the field.

The average NFL career lasts 3-5 years with more than half of the participants left facing some form of permanent disability arising from some form or other of traumatic and often repetitive injury. I cannot grasp so called fans of the game who do not appreciate that or the implications for the players who collected minimum salaries in the process. The NFLPA is currently vigorously appealing a recent court decision that awarded $28M to former employees it cavalierly left behind as it persued trickle down economics on behalf of it's top tier membership over the last 30 years...

Despite the fact that many players only last 1-3 years and don't even have a degree in advanced basket weaving, they all have the ability to get a job after football.

repeat after me....."Would you like Fries with that?":D

Only $121 for TFB to "perform"?!?!

CHECK IS IN THE MAIL Tommy Baby! See you soon! :singing:

You might want to do a little research on the majority of players that leave the NFL after only a few years.

While this may be shocking to you, they don't all get the education that you might think they get from the school that they played at for 1-4 years - depending on when they declared themselves for the draft.

Sad to see that the recent inflamitory culture of wealth and success envy has struck again. NFL players make the money because they can do what 99.999% of the population cannot do and it's something that a majority of the population wants to see. In performing, they risk paralysis and quite often end up with physical handicaps throughout middle age such that they can't play hoops, ski etc. through their 40s, 50s or whatever like many of us can.

No, but I plan on having a job for more than three years. Crazy, I know.

No, not crazy, just ignorant or jealous.

Why did Brady get a check for $121 dollars?
How many grapes can one buy with $121 :confused2:

At $4.00 lb :eek: Tom can buy 30 lbs ;) of grapes for Giselle to feed to him.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes