PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel didn't sign a new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pioli is a Genius...

Take him, franchise him next year, and get 2 #1's after he has yet another strong top 10 QB year.

everyone will still say your wrong even tho your right

KC has so much cap room, they can let him play for the tender and prove himself next season. That cap room offsets and leverage Cassel has if he wants to play hardball. Granted, he still makes a ton of dough, but he wouldn't have the security of a long-term deal.

After the season, they have the option of not franchising him because with the CBA expiring it takes 6 years to reach UFA. Thus, they can slap the RFA tender on him, with 1st and 3rd round picks as compensation. That would carry 110% of his prior year comp (a little over $16M), but is still an option.

Doesn't Pioli's position depend on not spending to the salary cap limit to have flexibility next year? Is it wise to leave money unspent when there are plenty of personnel issues in KC now?

Doesn't Cassel's position bet the farm he will be successful in a new system, and that the system as is will support him, on peril of foregoing a substantially larger signing bonus guaranteeing his future? How did those KC QBs do as far as injuries last year, and how is the offensive line any different this year? If Cassel gets hurt, that money may be all he ever sees.

So, do one offer a long term deal and better compensation, he didn't want a long term deal or our bargaining power was much less than we thought.

Please answer in 150 words or less.:D

Doesn't Pioli's position depend on not spending to the salary cap limit to have flexibility next year? Is it wise to leave money unspent when there are plenty of personnel issues in KC now?

Doesn't Cassel's position bet the farm he will be successful in a new system, and that the system as is will support him, on peril of foregoing a substantially larger signing bonus guaranteeing his future? How did those KC QBs do as far as injuries last year, and how is the offensive line any different this year? If Cassel gets hurt, that money may be all he ever sees.

Even if it is, that's still $14.5M guaranteed, so even the worst case scenario doesn't leave him poor by a long shot. The upside is that, if he has another really good year, his guaranteed money could jump through the roof.

Comparison:

Welker for 5 years, no concerns whatsoever about "fit" = second-round
Moss for 1 year, possibility of meltdown = fourth-round

I think it might take some time for them to work out the details but Cassel will get a new deal. The Chiefs might want to see how their cap picture looks then work out the structure of Cassel's new contract based around that.

Pioli is a Genius...

Take him, franchise him next year, and get 2 #1's after he has yet another strong top 10 QB year.

You miss the point of the 2 #1s. It's a barrier to signing a franchise player. That's why alternative deals are worked out.

You miss the point of the 2 #1s. It's a barrier to signing a franchise player. That's why alternative deals are worked out.

Hahaha, yeah. Has anyone ever actually taken the 2 #1s hit? I'm pretty sure it's never happened, and probably never will.

Hahaha, yeah. Has anyone ever actually taken the 2 #1s hit? I'm pretty sure it's never happened, and probably never will.

Exactly. Years ago, I remember the calls to EEI saying how great it would be to get 2 #1's for Tebucky. I shook my head then.

Actually I heard on the radio it has happened, forget the guys name but he got hurt and didnt play much, so a big bust.

As many of us have been saying for months, as soon as the franchise is offered, Cassel would agree to sign it, set himself and his children for life. And then, he would be in the driver's seat.

Congratulations to Matt!

Last edited:
Didn't Dallas give up two number ones for Joey Galloway?

I said all along that there was a possibility that a team would trade for Cassel without a deal in place. I just figured it may be a better risk to let him play out the year under the franchise deal and give him a new deal next year if he proves that he wasn't an one year wonder. They can always franchise him.

I said all along that there was a possibility that a team would trade for Cassel without a deal in place. I just figured it may be a better risk to let him play out the year under the franchise deal and give him a new deal next year if he proves that he wasn't an one year wonder. They can always franchise him.

Yes. TB also traded two #1s for Keyshawn Johnson, though he was under contract rather than franchised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back