Cassel better learn to move in the pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
OK great win today
Defense was awesome

Cassel under pressure in the center of the pocket seems like he has heavy feet and he gets sacked very easily. Does not seem to be all that poised and he goes down easily.

Some of those sacks were on him

I felt like most of the time he did the right thing by taking the sack.

He'd drop back, and the pocket was collapsing around him. Instead of attempting a rushed pass or trying to run, he just ate it and didn't make a mistake.

I thought he played well.

He'd drop back, and the pocket was collapsing around him. Instead of attempting a rushed pass or trying to run, he just ate it and didn't make a mistake.

Agreed. Take the sack and avoid being the 'hero' by trying to force something that isn't there and throwing an INT.

Jenkins overpowered the middle of the Pats line on a few of those plays. I actually thought it could be a point of concern for the team going forward, however, I do not think there are many players in the league who can do what Jenkins can do. Also, given his past history, I don't think Jenkins can stay healthy for the year.

OK great win today
Defense was awesome

Cassel under pressure in the center of the pocket seems like he has heavy feet and he gets sacked very easily. Does not seem to be all that poised and he goes down easily.

after uve seen brady manhandle the pocket recently, yea, Cassel did terrible

I am an anti-Cassel believer at least for now but that does not mean the kid is to blame for the sacks he had,He was under pressure as soon as the ball was snapped in some situations,Want to blame someone for him not being able to move in the pocket? then blame the guys who made that very pocket shrink too fast - and thats the OL

I don't recall people blaming Brady for not moving around in the pocket when he was getting beat down 5 times in SB 42 so I don't think its fair to say this either.

It wasn't like Cassel held the ball for 4 or 5 seconds,at times he did not have that long - Had he held it for 4 or 5 seconds then blame him for not throwing it away or not moving around the pocket but this was not the case on some of those sacks today by the Jets

Yeah I agree. Many inexperienced QBs try to force a throw rather than take the sack. Cassel seemed to not to fall into the trap. Many times when you force a throw when you are under pressure, you turn over the ball. I'd rather see Cassel take the sack. Cassel needs to not make costly mistakes.

Yeah I agree. Many inexperienced QBs try to force a throw rather than take the sack. Cassel seemed to not to fall into the trap. Many times when you force a throw when you are under pressure, you turn over the ball. I'd rather see Cassel take the sack. Cassel needs to not make costly mistakes.

There is only a few teams that would teach,train and warn a rookie like Cassel to NOT throw under pressure in his first game and him to actually not do it when under duress in actual game play - NE is one of those teams that teaches fundamentals well for the first timers

Belichick is one of those head coaches that probably made Cassel grab a piece of chalk and write on the locker room blackboard a thousands times the following sentence....

"I WILL NOT THROW A PASS WILD UNDER PRESSURE"
"I WILL NOT THROW A PASS WILD UNDER PRESSURE"
"I WILL NOT THROW A PASS WILD UNDER PRESSURE".......

Lets see him do it consistently though

OK great win today
Defense was awesome

Way off. How about praising the kid for winning his 1st start and doing it on the road. How about all the good decisions he made? How about the throw he made on 3rd and 2 to Sammy Morris with Calvin Pace in his face (roughing the passer was called) aftet the Jets scored to make it 16-10? How does that fit into your comment that Cassel "Does not seem to be all that poised and he goes down easily." Seemed poised to me today. Every QB gets sacked and no one is perfect, he will improve as he gains more experience on the field. This is a nitpicky topic that borders on ridiculous. Great win by the team after the league MVP and team leader goes down last week.

I seriously don't know WTF some of you expect for a guy making his first career start. :eek:

Matt Cassel passed his first test against an improved Jets team on the road.
As the little green jewel says about our avatars :"Matt Cassel is on a distinguished path."

Way off. How about praising the kid for winning his 1st start and doing it on the road. How about all the good decisions he made? How about the throw he made on 3rd and 2 to Sammy Morris with Calvin Pace in his face (roughing the passer was called) aftet the Jets scored to make it 16-10? How does that fit into your comment that Cassel "Does not seem to be all that poised and he goes down easily." Seemed poised to me today. Every QB gets sacked and no one is perfect, he will improve as he gains more experience on the field. This is a nitpicky topic that borders on ridiculous. Great win by the team after the league MVP and team leader goes down last week.

Agree 100%, A couple times he tried to squirm his way out but there was no where to go so he protected the ball. I think as he gains experience he starts making more plays, like the potential Td pass to Thomas, Brady throws that ball before Thomas is even open, Cassel will learn to in the future.
Also, great read on Moss improvising and going downfield, he just didnt get enough on the ball and Randy still makes that catch 98 out of 100 times, All in all good first game starting. In encouraged.

Cassel don't need no stinking movement. Seriously! First pro/college start, No interceptions/No Turnovers, and he was able to move the chains relatively consistently. Give the guy a mountain of credit! He had to fill Tom Brady's shoes (which nobody can), had enormous media attention, yet he played just as we needed him to: No dumb throws, move the chains, keep cool. The Patriots won't win every game with Cassel's play today. Brady could take the offense on his shoulders and outscore the opponent when needed. But if Cassel can give consistent performances equal to today, the Patriots will be in a position to have a real shot at winning most every game. And that is what I am realistically hoping for.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes