PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel agrees 6-year, 36M contract... [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cassel agrees 6yr,36 mill contract.. (Merged X2)

Peter King in his SI blog on CNN is saying that there is no deal with Cassel

I noted with some interest at the NFL meetings less than a month ago that Dunn was frustrated that the Chiefs apparently planned to allow Cassel to play the season at his one-year tender of $14.65 million. And the two sources I've spoken to say nothing has changed, that there is not a new deal with the Chiefs' quarterback of the future in place.
--Peter King

Peter King in his SI blog on CNN is saying that there is no deal with Cassel

I noted with some interest at the NFL meetings less than a month ago that Dunn was frustrated that the Chiefs apparently planned to allow Cassel to play the season at his one-year tender of $14.65 million. And the two sources I've spoken to say nothing has changed, that there is not a new deal with the Chiefs' quarterback of the future in place.
--Peter King

If true, it will just back up what I said from the second Cassel signed his tender. Cassel made a strategic error by signing it before he had a deal with another team. $14.6 million isn't that much to gamble on a Cassel for one year and I felt that a team would trade for him with no negotiations and be willing to go into the season without a new deal.

I think the smart thing for Pioli to do is roll the dice and let Cassel play out the franchise tender. If Cassel turns out to be the real deal, he is going to have to pay more in the long run. But if Cassel was just a product of Belichick, McDaniels, and the talent around him; they risked far less than $36 million guaranteed.

If true, it will just back up what I said from the second Cassel signed his tender. Cassel made a strategic error by signing it before he had a deal with another team. $14.6 million isn't that much to gamble on a Cassel for one year and I felt that a team would trade for him with no negotiations and be willing to go into the season without a new deal.

I think the smart thing for Pioli to do is roll the dice and let Cassel play out the franchise tender. If Cassel turns out to be the real deal, he is going to have to pay more in the long run. But if Cassel was just a product of Belichick, McDaniels, and the talent around him; they risked far less than $36 million guaranteed.

i.e. - if Cassel didn't misplay his hand, we might be in a similar situation as the Panthers with a $15 million backup QB and little gains in free agency.

But I suppose that doesn't mesh with the rationale of those that saw absolutely no risk in tagging Cassel.

i.e. - if Cassel didn't misplay his hand, we might be in a similar situation as the Panthers with a $15 million backup QB and little gains in free agency.

But I suppose that doesn't mesh with the rationale of those that saw absolutely no risk in tagging Cassel.

Yeah, Cassel gave up a lot of leverage signing the franchise tag. That is why most franchised players don't sign the franchise tag until the deal is done and the trade is being executed. The second you do you have no say of where you go or whether your new team will give you a new deal.

I never got the logic that people said Peppers was stupid for not signing the tender. He may not get traded, but if he did sign the tender he might be a Raider or Lion right now with no say in the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes