PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel 15/22 160 yards 0 TD 0 INT

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. His first start since the Nixon administration.
2. Against the NYJ, in Jets land, no less.
3. Didn't do anything egregious - as opposed to some first ballot HOF to be, I might add.
4. Nothing stellar in his performance, but give a couple of more starts and I think he'll be just fine.

Cassel did fine and made no mistakes. He's gonna have to look deep a little more, though, and he has to hit Moss on that deep ball 99 times out of 100. A high school QB could have made that pass.

1. His first start since the Nixon administration.
2. Against the NYJ, in Jets land, no less.
3. Didn't do anything egregious - as opposed to some first ballot HOF to be, I might add.
4. Nothing stellar in his performance, but give a couple of more starts and I think he'll be just fine.

I know what you're saying, but I think "no INT's and no fumbles" is a pretty good stat, combined with routine connections and nice clean hand-off's.
The stuff no-one notices goes unnoticed only when it's well executed.

Cassel did fine and made no mistakes. He's gonna have to look deep a little more, though, and he has to hit Moss on that deep ball 99 times out of 100. A high school QB could have made that pass.

I thought Cassel made two bad throws. This was one. Horrible throw. The other was at 16-10 on 3rd down to Welker in the right corner of the end zone. Pace was pretty close to tipping that to himself for an INT.

But other than that I thought he was great, relative to what he was asked to do. They'll open it up as he gets a little more comfortable. He hit the one last week to Moss so we know he can do it.

I was impressed that he didn't force anything when he was under duress, and he was under duress probably a little too much today. I thought Cassel on a grading scale gets an easy A.

I'd give Cassel a solid B for his performance today. He didn't make any serious mistakes, and he came out with the win, which is the important thing. It looks like the Pats have enough talent around him that a game manager type QB might be enough for what they need.

The only throw, I remembered that he really missed was when Moss got wide open streaking down the sideline. If he delivers that ball early and on target instead of late and slightly behind, Moss is scoring 6 right then and there. This might just be a timing issue that can be fixed with practice as the QB and receiver get more used to each other. Oh and he needs to improve his efficiency in the red zone.

Other than that, not too much to complain about. I was scared when Cassel got hurt and thought we'd have to see KO in the 2nd day of the season! I was like, how many QBs can we lose??

Last edited:
The best players should play, Oconnel is better than Cassel, i dont care if he has taret syndrome and cant read english as long as he throws TDs, runs the ball, and puts points on the board.

:confused: :bricks:

This offense was built to take advantage of Brady's accuracy, poise and ability to find space in the pocket. No backup will be able to replicate that. Using a rookie, however talented, would increase the risk of turnovers and blown plays which would be far more serious than Cassel's failings. I have never been a fan of Cassel but he has done everything asked of him and has impressed me with his calmness and ability to avoid turnovers. If BB decides midway through the season than O'Connell is ready to start then I'll be happy but no-one ever expected him to be an immediate starter when we drafted him - he is a talented project who needs coaching. What happens if you play him and he throws 3 INTs? It would ruin both his and MC's confidence.

The organisation (IE: BB) took a decision not to employ a high price backup QB. Presumably that allowed them to spend more on another part of the team but the risk was always that if Brady went down the offense would become limited. BB took that chance and is proving that he can win anyway.

I thought Cassel made two bad throws. This was one. Horrible throw. The other was at 16-10 on 3rd down to Welker in the right corner of the end zone. Pace was pretty close to tipping that to himself for an INT.
I believe the play you are talking about was to David Thomas, and I really didn't think that was a bad pass at all. Pace got up ridiculously high to just barely tip that pass and it was headed right into Thomas' arms for a TD. He couldn't really go with a lob, soft touch pass either as it would've given the DB time to catch up with Thomas.

I initially thought it was a bad and forced pass but after seeing the replay, it wasn't, it was just an incredibly athletic play by Pace to save a touchdown.

The Moss pass, on the other hand, was just brutal. That's a play that needs to be a touchdown. He waited to long to throw it and allowed pressure to get to him which forced an underthrow. He should've thrown it when Moss put his hand him and let him run under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes