PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Casillas: "I've never seen anything like this defense before..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
New England Patriots new LB Jonathan Casillas: 'I've never seen anything like this defense before' | masslive.com

Sounds psyched, and why wouldn't he be? Go get 'em Jonathan!!!

I'm guessing he'll be special teams only this weekend, though. Unless there's an injury, God forbid.

"I’m playing on some sub packages, passing situations, nickel, dollar, personnel, stuff like that," he said. "Adding some depth. I think our linebackers are good. Watching Jamie and Dont’a on film big guys that can run, very physical. I’m just looking to add a little speed a little quickness to that."

"I covered about six kickoffs today, full speed, so if you want to test the hamstring out I think that’s a good way to do so, so I feel pretty good," he said.

"Everybody wants to be – maybe not wants to be the Patriots – but everybody knows what the Patriots are doing," he said. "That’s for sure. They may not want to mimic exactly. But they know what they’re doing. They know what Belichick is doing. They know that they set the standard. We set the standard."​

If you read that closely you'll take it as a negative.

Oh_man_Don%27t_hit_me_with_them_negative_waves_NEGATIVE_WAVES_Don%27t_hit_me_with_them_Kellys%27_Heroes_demotivational_poster_Donald_Sutherland.jpg

Number 2 ranked pass defense and number 25 ranked run defense? Is that what he's talking about?

I read it as the Pats defensive style and structure is unfamiliar to him, NOT that our defense is a world-beater. Didn't mean to infer anything from quoting the title of the Masslive piece... my bad if I did.

How long before Florio spins this one into a spygate comment?

What's more interesting is that Casillas implies that he will be playing inside at times, including possibly this week at Denver:

"I've never seen anything like this defense before,” he said. “And that's just me being, I'm a 4-3 guy, I'm 225 (pounds). I've always played Will outside linebacker and (the Patriots) moved me inside, doing some stuff at inside. I don't know if I'm going to stay there or that's going to be my role, but this week it is playing against Denver."

That could be quite interesting, as it would free up one of Collins or Hightower to move outside where they are more suited.

Richard Hill has suggested that Casillas could play a Roman Phifer-like inside role in base, and a WLB role in sub:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/10/2...-new-linebacker-jonathan-casillas-a-four-down

New England Patriots new LB Jonathan Casillas: 'I've never seen anything like this defense before' | masslive.com

Sounds psyched, and why wouldn't he be? Go get 'em Jonathan!!!

I'm guessing he'll be special teams only this weekend, though. Unless there's an injury, God forbid.

"I’m playing on some sub packages, passing situations, nickel, dollar, personnel, stuff like that," he said. "Adding some depth. I think our linebackers are good. Watching Jamie and Dont’a on film big guys that can run, very physical. I’m just looking to add a little speed a little quickness to that."

"I covered about six kickoffs today, full speed, so if you want to test the hamstring out I think that’s a good way to do so, so I feel pretty good," he said.

"Everybody wants to be – maybe not wants to be the Patriots – but everybody knows what the Patriots are doing," he said. "That’s for sure. They may not want to mimic exactly. But they know what they’re doing. They know what Belichick is doing. They know that they set the standard. We set the standard."​
This clip just now played on Comcast. It was said with extremes admiration and was clearly intended as a compliment.

I am guessing the message of not telling media more than you have to has not gotten to him yet. he will learn!

Repeat after us:
Denver is a really good team.
I'm just trying to get better. Learn the plays.
Whatever role they have me play, I'll play. Linebacker. Safety. Inside. Outside. Special teams.
We're just focused on Denver.

Got it?

I can see Patricia dressed like Ramsay Snow ushering two prostitutes into the locker room as the food service crew grills a sausage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back