Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cashless society by 2012, says Visa chief

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Terry Glenn is a cowgirl, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Cashless society by 2012, says Visa chief

By Tim Webb

Published: 11 March 2007

Paying for goods with notes and coins could be consigned to history within five years, according to the chief executive of Visa Europe.
    Peter Ayliffe said that, by 2012, using credit and debit cards should be cheaper and more convenient than cash.

Some retailers could soon start surcharging customers if they choose to buy products with cash, because of the greater cost of processing these payments, he warned.

Visa Europe briefed the British Retail Consortium last month on new "contactless" cards that can be waved in front of a scanner to make small payments.

However, the consortium dismissed this vision and claimed that card processing fees, which regulators are investigating, are still too high.
    One member of the consurtium said that the estimated "interchange" fee charged to retailers amounts to some 4p for each transaction.
    Nick Mourant, treasurer at Tesco, said: "There is a duopoly between Mastercard and Visa in the UK. Their setting of fees is anti-competitive."

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article2347411.ece
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I hardly ever use cash anymore. Or checks. I probably write 1 check a month and use cash maybe 2 times a week, mostly if I'm buying something small and feel stupid using my card. Other than that, it's my credit card all the time.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 11 / -27

I use my debit card for just about everything, somehow got involved with the TMX scandal last month and it was down for about 2 weeks felt naked to the world.
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's Great!
    Now the government and all the retail corporations will know where I've been, what I've bought, and when I do everything!
    I'm so happy!
    Besides, cash has never been easy to use. You have to carry it, keep track of it, and if you have no money, you can't buy anything. What a hassle!
  5. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Peter Ayliffe is either lying or is a complete moron. Considering he is the chief executive of Visa Europe, methinks he is simply lying.

Retailers prefer you to use cash because it costs less. Anyone remember the old days when gas stations would charge you a certain amount for cash and a different amount - usually 10 cents per gallon more - for credit...? Those fees and surcharges aren't going to magically disappear, despite what Ayliffe wants us to think.
  6. iguide

iguide Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yea. Let's make it easier for Big Brother to see what we all are doing. I got an idea why don't we put a little chip in the TV so they can watch us at home to. :rolleyes: (*#($&$^#%@#*$_$$*^$@%$%@#&$)+) governments & liberals. They want to run us all.;)
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Is your avatar Coki Beach, St. Thomas?
    Completely agree with you, BTW, but you have to add "Corporate CEO's", who are mostly republicans.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 11 / -27

Liberals really like the domestic spying, wiretaps and the rest of the stuff espoused by George and his crew (tongue and cheek).. come on now, thought spying on the US people was a favorite of the Right Wing.
  9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do you have any sort of legitimate reference, or are you just making sh*t up again..?
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's right sh-t-for-brains!
    Everyone knows most CEO's are liberal tree-huggers.

Go back to bed and try not to wake up so cranky this time.
    Dumbazz.
  11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Go back to bed and try not to wake up so cranky this time. Where the censorship scumbag when we need him..? Oh wait, I forgot... insults are perfectly fine - so long as they are directed at conservatives.
    Actually, an awful lot of them are. And an awful lot of them are conservatives. You are displaying a great deal of your ignorance here (as is typical from you).
    Translation: You made up a completely unsubstantiated claim, I called you out on it, and you prove how right I am by responding with nothing substantial but instead with insults and venom. :rolleyes:

Thank you for making such a fool of yourself.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

You guys really are psychotic loony left types aren't you. Carrying one credit card vs. dealing with going to the bank, having enough money, etc, it's a no brainer to me. No one is spying on my or watching what I buy. Psychos.
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

But... but... all the CEO's are eeeeeeeeeeeee-vil Republicans... they are part of the vast right-wing conspiracy... didn't you know..?!?
  14. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,108 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

The thought of a cashless society gave me the shivers. But then, one possible upside could be making it easier to institute a national sales tax to replace income tax.
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'd love it. In fact except for when I buy something at Wal Mart for $4.97, I'm already cashless. I on-line payment at the end of the month, done.

Even better - put a chip in me - check out, have the chip reader read who I am and the payment is done, no credit card even needed.

(and, no, I'm not kidding I would love that. I don't believe in government conspiracies I just like life to get easier).
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

That would be a problem because then people would realize how much their taxes would go up and that the rich pay for everything right now.
  17. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

...exactly why I put the thread here. After this the national ID card will be enforced. Next will be the fall of the dollar, and the rise of the Amero. and after that... the mark of the beast (chip).

Yes, it'll be hard on the drug dealers (small time)... but there many more cons than pros.
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

Well vendors pay 2% of the reciept when a customer uses Visa or whatever, so they obviously prefer cash. The guy in question is being totally biased in his speculation. Cash will forever rule the roost. I prefer it. When the bank cahrges me 75 cents to use my check card, why would I for go cash? If credit wasn't as expensive as it is to use, then maybe, but it is far too costly for permanent use.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

Yes they are, and yes they are scumbags too. :rocker:
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

Clipper Chip project anyone?