Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cash for Clunkers..On second thought the Globe thinks it wasn't such a hot idea...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patsfanin Philly, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

‘Clunkers,’ a classic government folly - The Boston Globe

>>>>IN THE market for a used car? Good luck finding a bargain: The price of “pre-owned’’ vehicles has climbed considerably over the past year. According to Edmunds.com, a website for car buyers, a three-year-old automobile today will set you back, on average, close to $20,000 — a spike of more than 10 percent since last summer.<<<<<

>>>>But an even bigger part of the answer is that the supply of used cars is artificially low, because your Uncle Sam decided last year to destroy hundreds of thousands of perfectly good automobiles as part of its hare-brained Car Allowance Rebate System — or, as most of us called it, Cash for Clunkers. >>>>>>

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Re: Cash for Clunkers..On second thought the Globe thinks it wasn't such a hot idea..

I have some Latin-American friends who have made thousands over the years buying cars at auctions here and sending them to Guatemala, Salvador. and the Dominican Republic. I'm going to call them and ask how things are going now to get some info from the street.

Most of all this story is further proof that DC is far removed from the average American. They look at too many partisan reports when simply talking to the average American could tell them much more. All of those destroyed cars could have raised much money for charity. They could have sold them at auction to raise a few bucks, invigorate the used parts industry ... and all the rest.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

Re: Cash for Clunkers..On second thought the Globe thinks it wasn't such a hot idea..

A horrid program that exemplifies government waste, and gross mismanagement. November, November, November...

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Law of unintended consequences 'surprises' libs again poor and lower middle class hit again by elitist.

5. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Barack Hussein Obama is the worst president ever.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

You are wrong Ronald Reagan was the worse ever, despite what you are told what to believe...

*Largest Tax Increase Ever
    *Amnesty to Illegals, many scholars argue that that set the precedent to believe that if they came they would get amnesty
    *Not retaliating against Hesbollah after they attacked and killed 200+ marines in Lebanon, many believe that that emboldened them and gave them credibility, he did absolutely nothing.
    *Negotiating with the Iranians in June before he was elected, that alone was an impeachable offense..
    *The Iran, Contra affair.. enough said..

If Reagan was alive in this day and age of the internet he would have been impeached, but he was a great actor..

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

you would not understand what "elitist" meant if it hit you in the face.. you throw around terms you read on Red State or Conservative News and just follow along.. if you want to understand Elite, go to the source.. start with C. Wright Mills, "Power Elite" and then you can graduate to 1st grade...

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

That's not the Globe. That's their far right columnist Jeff Jacoby, who basically walks the right wing party line to the letter. He's not someone who thinks outside the box. At any rate, there have been as many studies showing the cash for clunkers program was a success as it was not. I would not trust Jacoby on this issue any more than you would trust Barney Frank.

9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

In my lifetime can I say Jimmy Carter and someone will say ... correct?

10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I was going to say something along those lines without searching for the facts. I got the impression that he did little to no research so I was suspect. But I was angry that they just crushed the cars ... never is it a good idea for the government to do things like that. They are not supposed to manipulate an industry ... not supposed to anyways.

11. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

My problem with the problem was twofold.
    First, it took low cost cars out of circulation forcing those at the lowest rungs of society and those who can least afford it to pay more for used cars because of the dearth of supply caused by the government intentionally destroying perfectly good cars.
    Secondly, at a time when people should have been encouraged to pay down debt, the gov't was encouraging them to go out and buy cars and take on more debt. Who benefited? the well to do. A friend of mine who bought a car said that the car dealers had never seen so many people with 800+ credit ratings. these people were getting tax breaks and were the ones who least needed it. All it did was shift demand from later in the year to earlier so that car dealers were dead later on at a huge cost to the taxpayers.
    If a Republican President had proposed it, the argument would have been
    this is just to help the rich. Guess what, regardless of whether it was proposed by a "D" or an "R" it was a counterproductive program...

PS- I haven't lived in Boston for 25 years, so my knowledge of current Globe columnists is de minimus. I linked to as site that said Globe + editorial, so while it was written in the Globe, it may be a minority opinion there....

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

New car sales are down, I wonder, are people walking or biking or I dunno, buying used cars instead? Its called supply and demand and happens during all recessions.

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

The point is that cash for clunkers resulted in the destruction of the used cars that were traded in under the program, supply and demand..... this lowered the pool (SUPPLY) of available used cars driving up the price for the poor seeking to obtain transportation (DEMAND).

14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

They are riding bikes in downtown Cambridge ... :p

Seriously ... I remember a glut of used cars a few years after leasing became popular. Could it be that some people have trouble with financing a new car?
    Borrowing money is harder than ever.

15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

It was a terrible program then, and it remains a terrible program now.

16. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Bingo!
    The cash for junkers program hasn't had anywhere the impact of available used cars as the other reason. That is, people are not buying new cars.
    Personally, I love my Toyota Prius that was a cash for clunker. My contributions to terrorism has been dramatically decreased. My Blazer that I "traded" in, would not be on the road today in either case.

17. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So what you're saying is that during a recession people don't stop buying new cars they just keep doing it? Nobody ever stops and says 'maybe a used car might be for me?'

I guess in that fantasy world of yours nobody ever has to deal with less money, but I know in my world people are definitely trying to cut costs by buying a used car instead of a new one. Hence the increase in demand.

This is pretty simple sh!t to me; but hell a pretty well-known neocon has told you how to think, so I guess you're done.

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

You are really missing the point,

more people are looking for used cars,

cash for clunkers reduced the number of used cars (used cars were destroyed after trade in ),

more people looking for used cars, reduced supply of used cars.

Poor people who need used cars to buy are hosed due to the increase in cost for used cars.....

19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

Take a closer look, he got his legs cut off from underneath him by the great communicator... the list of impeachable offenses for Reagan grows more and more when his actions are revealed...

20. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

No I get the point completely. You're wrong but you still won't shut the hell up. You're so wrong in fact you can't even find any of your typical bullshot links to throw up. Every time there's a recession used car prices go up Cash for clunkers is a drop in that ocean.