PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Casey Hampton

tonyto3690

Banned
Reaction score
Guy is old and banged up but is a huge body and great run stopper. You can't play him every down by any stretch of the imagination but he can occasionally sub in for Wilfork, he can play goal line sets, and he gives you the real opportunity to run him at the nose and Wilfork at DE and run some 34 or 25.

2-5:
Chandler - Wilfork - Hampton
Hightower - Mayo - Spikes - Collins

3-4:
Wilfork - Hampton - Deaderick
Chandler - Hightower - Mayo - Collins

4-3:
Chandler - Hampton - Kelly - Ninkovich
Hightower - Spikes - Mayo

Don't see the need as Tommie Kelly and Love are adequate. I WW goes down, he'd be on the top of the list for sure.

In his prime Hampton was a force.

39636-Grumpy-Cat-say-no-UiF5.jpeg

I would rather have Love on the 53 than Hampton.

I would rather have Love on the 53 than Hampton.

Based on what?

Neither can rush the passer.
Hampton is better at stopping the run.
Hampton offers more position versatility.

Love is younger and possibly cheaper and maybe that's enough but that's about all there is. On the field Hampton would be superior.

EDIT:
Really though this was more an exercise of how to utilize our LBs and recent talk of using more 34.

You have your opinion. You think Hampton would be superior. I don't.

Love has preformed fine in his role. If Belichick wants Hampton instead, I am fine with that. However, I don't think it will happen.

Based on what?

Neither can rush the passer.
Hampton is better at stopping the run.
Hampton offers more position versatility.

Love is younger and possibly cheaper and maybe that's enough but that's about all there is. On the field Hampton would be superior.

If we get an FA Dlineman i much rather have a Abraham at DE And Vince at NT set than a Vince at DE and Casey at NT set

Is stopping the run the real issue with this defense? The oversized, brutally slow LB corp has this issue covered......at the expense of pass coverage

I wouldn't rule it out if he was affordable. Just smashing pockets.

If we get an FA Dlineman i much rather have a Abraham at DE And Vince at NT set than a Vince at DE and Casey at NT set

Abraham can not play DE in the 34.

Honestly I think this would be terrible unless Hightower can play as a 34 OLB (which some said he could coming out of college) or Collins turns out to be the next Aldon Smith. But Abraham would not be how we would make this work.

Is stopping the run the real issue with this defense? The oversized, brutally slow LB corp has this issue covered......at the expense of pass coverage

The 34 would help negate the slowness of our LBers. Spikes, Hightower and Mayo are all prototypical 34 ILB. Only Mayo is suited to play in a 43 defense.

I would hardly call Mayo & Hightower brutally slow. Spikes, yea.

The problem is that if those two are taken out, you run defense does suffer. The question is can you live with the suffering?

Thats why Collins, Adrian Wilson and Fletcher are so important if this defense wants to stop getting shredded by the RBs and TEs.

Brutally slow....:confused:

I would hardly call Mayo & Hightower brutally slow. Spikes, yea.

The problem is that if those two are taken out, you run defense does suffer. The question is can you live with the suffering?

Thats why Collins, Adrian Wilson and Fletcher are so important if this defense wants to stop getting shredded by the RBs and TEs.

Borg doesn't post for any reason other than to make snarky little remarks to aggravate people, there is literally no substance to anything he says. I seriously doubt he even watches football I just think he's one of those people who like to go online and talk crap to see if he can get a rise out of people.

Borg doesn't post for any reason other than to make snarky little remarks to aggravate people, there is literally no substance to anything he says. I seriously doubt he even watches football I just think he's one of those people who like to go online and talk crap to see if he can get a rise out of people.

He also posts to have brady2moss inflate his "likes received" count

if your signing Hampton to move back to the 3-4 who is your 3-4 DE's ? cause Wilfork Hampton and Kelly are all pretty much NT's in a 3-4 at the end of the day 3-4 or 4-3 you would still have the same players on the field they just have to do a better job at getting timely stops

We haven't had 3-4 DE's since Seymour and Warren left.

if your signing Hampton to move back to the 3-4 who is your 3-4 DE's ? cause Wilfork Hampton and Kelly are all pretty much NT's in a 3-4 at the end of the day 3-4 or 4-3 you would still have the same players on the field they just have to do a better job at getting timely stops

Wilfork was used as a de a couple years ago to great success. The problem was that teams just ran to the opposite side because our olbs (tbc, nink and to a lesser degree Cunningham were all garbage against the run.

Hampton at the nose, wilfork at rde and a platoon of deaderick an Kelly at lde. Kelly played a little 34 de his rookie year and deaderick has shown to be a passable 5tech de as long as he's the worst guy in the front 7.

We wouldn't have the same players. This would get nink of the field which is a huge bonus and spikes/Hightower would be way more effective. The problem is that it likely negates or limits chandler

Edit: for the chandler reason the only reason I think it's even remotely possible is because chandler dropped back in some zone blitz plays last year. But then again wilfork has in the past as well.

In the 43 over belichick tried to use with Shaun Ellis it's pretty much a pseudo 34 anyways.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back