PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Casey Hampton & Co. feels Pittsburgh was 'cheated' for team of the decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he wasnt drafted until 2004...right?

Wasn't Kordell QB in 2001 and 2003?

Ben's rookie year was 2004. The immortal Tommy Maddox was the Qb in 2003.

Slash was Qb in 2001.

Except its not, you know, in the decade. Kind of silly if the deciding game didn't even happen in the decade. By your standard, the Ravens won the last superbowl of the 90s, even though it wasn't played until 2001.

The Super Bowl is played off the of the season.

Commence this forum's 89th "when does a decade begin and end" debate in 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

Can't say I am surprised by this story. Jealous ones still envy, I suppose. :rolleyes:

It's 2011. For football purposes the decade ended with last year's Super Bowl. Any other position is idiotic.

If you want to be the team of the decade, you have to beat the team of the decade.

Steelers have a 2-6 record against the Pats over the past 10 years. One of those wins was against Matt Cassell. 2 of those losses were at their place in the AFCCG.

It's awful that we lost to the Jets because every Steelers fan was terrified to see New England in the AFCCG again.

It's awful that we lost to the Jets because every Steelers fan was terrified to see New England in the AFCCG again.

Yep, a random stranger Steeler fan even told me that yesterday. "Hey buddy, I see you're a Patriots fan. We took care of those bigmouths for you! I was glad they won though, because you guys would have stomped us again." *sigh*

It's kind of like 96, when we ended up playing a Jags team in the AFCCG that beat the Broncos, instead of us having to go to Denver and get trounced again.

In the immortal words of the Common Man in Bolt's "A Man for All Seasons:"

"I wish we could all have good luck, all the time! I wish we had wings! I wish rain water was beer! But it isn't...And what with not having wings but walking - on two flat feet; and good luck and bad luck just being exactly even stevens; and rain being water- don't you complicate" things by doing woulda, shoulda, coulda.
:)

Last edited:
If you want to be the team of the decade, you have to beat the team of the decade.

Steelers have a 2-6 record against the Pats over the past 10 years. One of those wins was against Matt Cassell. 2 of those losses were at their place in the AFCCG.

Love the title. Pittsburgh feels cheated. Yeah, just like most of the teams who just played them. Except by the zebras.

Same thing in 05. If we beat Denver, the Steelers come to Foxboro. I still can't believe that Steeler team beat Indy in Indy.

A decade is considered

I understand the technical definition of a decade but that isn't relevant here. We are talking common usage. Nobody discusses the best team of the 198th decade. They talk about the best team of the 70s, 80s, 90s etc. Its like being asked if you graduated high school in the 80s and saying yes when you actually graduated in 91. Technically, your graduating year began in 90, which technically was the last year in the 198th decade, so you technically are right. But it still sounds silly.

Its 2011 now. Steelers have only won two superbowls in the list of years above. In the same respect, if they had won the 2001 superbowl for the 2000 season, it would have made sense to include it.

Steelers have the only legit claim. It is perhaps fair to say they are the currently most successful team,
but the dominance does not resemble the Patriot Reign.

(I mention Holly's book, after listening to the bitter radio D-List
backbenchers filling in for the good man grouse about
BB's unwillingness to stick needles in his (or anyone else's) eyes in an interview.
I was reminded that it is a good day to turn off the radio and re-read
the fine book.
Or the one on Tedy. Or To sit staring at the clouds. Anything but listen.)
(Well, it gave me time to write this. lucky you!)

Relevant to the coming Big Game™ From the Steeler perspective,
hearing everyone agree about the Pats has to hurt, and motivate.
It has been a very successful franchise, a lot of pride,
they show up to play.

It will be interesting to see how Ben does, if the Steel can be victorious with another
single digit passer rating.
Maybe he will shoot for a negative number this time? (/Snark)

The boy does make plays though, but the success reaffirms the old adage about
D winning championships, most often.
Something else to do?
I have been digging up copies of old games online, one I really enjoyed was the
1974 AFC Championship between the Steelers and Raiders, with ads.
(Search Key is TYT)

A review:
NBC, Curt Gowdy, Dandy Don, and Al DeRogatis who didn't get a chance
to say much, but when he did it was often what would happen next.

Al called an INT by Raiders Ken Stabler, explaining why it would happen.
Then after the INT, Gowdy and Dandy Don fought for the airspace,
neither noting that Al had nailed it.
Make that Conspicuous Avoidance.

Promos for Columbo (on after the game), AMOCO doing a series on their
efforts to get us off foreign oil, one about the new discovery of "Shale oil"
out west where they dramatically set a "rock" on fire.
The ads are utterly humorless, serious, deep voiced, cheese.

Two I actually remembered.
Line of cars in a snowy icy place, which one will start? (Sears Die hard)
Curt Flood dressed in 70's gaudy, at his Florist shop, promoting yellow pages.
Fingers, walking.

The Player ads are comical in that cringingly uncomfortable way,
I had forgotten how stiff, unnatural they were.

Promos for Super Bowl IX.
Extended coverage started at 1:30 for the 3:00 game.
I was surprised to note that Hall of Famer, Icon, Curt Gowdy
talks too much.
There is never a moment of silence.

Dandy Don? I never realized how much he mumbled
as he trailed off at the end of his sentences.
At times it reminded me of the Utterly incomprehensible
King of the Hill cartoon character.
I went back over one thing a few times, never
did figure out what he was saying.

At one point the shot pans to the Box with Pittsburgh's owner Art Rooney.
Gowdy: "there everyone's lovable loser, 43 years of
futility, pathetic laughingstock of the league,
Art Rooney, in the cap and glasses".
There were five guys in the box with cap and glasses.
(I may have slightly embellished the quote)

Dandy Don would pipe in as soon as Gowdy stopped talking,
until Gowdy cut him off again.
Later in the game, Don criticized Al for not saying enough.
Started singing, criticized Al for not backing him up.
One good line? "In person people, he is really funny".

Most obvious missed line, Don set up Al for a killer with:
"He is covering him like a rug".
The time to utter the phrase "Now leave Cosell out of this, Don"
remained the only silence of the day.

One intensely Non Modern PC moment occurred when the camera focused
in on an obviously gay male Raider fan, dressed in silver lame' formfitting jumpsuit,
metallic silver wig, opera gloves merrily waving giant silver Pom Poms.

He was dancing in front of the seats on the aisle, in that somehow
distinctive, clearly declarative manner.
Meredith said, "What is that?" What is That? WHAT...
louder each time, Gowdy said nothing, then Don said..
I'll tell you what that is...
I'll tell you what that is...(more King of the Hill undecipherable mumbling...)
Gowdy cut him off.

Perhaps Gowdy was wiser than I gave credit?
More terrified, too.

John Stallworth, Lynn Swann and Jack Ham were all rookies.
49 year old George Blanda kicked field goals for Oakland.

Another Dandy Don Precious Moment comes to mind.
Steelers are going to win.
Bradshaw is on a knee at the sideline, camera in his face.
Don says, "There he is, Posing For the Camera".
Al counters, this time, not waiting for an opening:
No, I think it is something more profound.
As if on cue, Bradshaw closed his eyes, dipped his head down,
appearing to be in a moment of meditation.

Later, during the celebratory sideline shtick, the camera was
more severely in Bradshaw's face, 2 feet away, with no audio feed.
Bradshaw leaned forward, looked directly into the camera
to clearly and slowly mouth the words:
Hi Mom.
Won me over again.
Genuine good old boy, in contrast to Don's
caricature.

Pitt basically punched them out in a classic fistfight, literally.
They physically imposed their will, winning it with their D and O lines.

Bradshaw comically fumbled, intercepted and
snapped off enough stunningly beautiful passes to win.
Bailed out at a critical moments by heads up hustle by his team-mates, who
repeatedly demonstrated an affection for him, and came to play.

Interesting point, not one guy carried off,
or injured on the field, (that I recall).
(Edited out by the Network?)

later.

Last edited:
In the immortal words of the Common Man in Bolt's "A Man for All Seasons:"

"I wish we could all have good luck, all the time! I wish we had wings! I wish rain water was beer! But it isn't...And what with not having wings but walking - on two flat feet; and good luck and bad luck just being exactly even stevens; and rain being water- don't you complicate" things by doing woulda, shoulda, coulda.
:)

I know, and I agree.

But the Steelers can't possibly cry about not being the team of the decade when they lost so many times to us.

Or maybe the Steelers should be the team of the decade. After all, they exemplified best what the decade was about: getting their butts handed to them by the Patriots.

Last edited:
It's 2011. For football purposes the decade ended with last year's Super Bowl. Any other position is idiotic.

The upcoming Super Bowl is the final one of the decade. Any other position is idiotic.

Tough to reconcile the two positions....

yet another moron athlete who buys into the same crap that other teams' fans believe. Note to Hampton: you're leadership has done VERY similar things to this 'cheating'.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the decade of the 90's consisted of the years 1990-1999...you know, the years that have a 9 in the tens place. Therefore, the next decade consisted of the next ten years...you know, the length of a decade. The 2000-2009 seasons composed the decade in which the Pats dominated, so that includes the Superbowls that were played in early 2001-early 2010.

Another way to put it is that the decade changes when the digit in the tens spot changes. Or, in the case of centuries, when the digit in the hundreds place changes.

Yet another way to put it is to ask the question, "If you believe the decade ended in 2010, what will you call the next decade that consists of the years 2011-2020? The "Twenty-tens?" Even though the last year is "Twenty-twenty?" I guess the "Roaring 20's" ended in 1930, too.

This isn't hard.

I understand that there was no year 0, but common sense has to prevail sometimes.

On another note, is every Steeler just pretending that their own coach never admitted they did the exact same kind of "cheating?"

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the decade of the 90's consisted of the years 1990-1999...you know, the years that have a 9 in the tens place. Therefore, the next decade consisted of the next ten years...you know, the length of a decade. The 2000-2009 seasons composed the decade in which the Pats dominated, so that includes the Superbowls that were played in early 2001-early 2010.

Another way to put it is that the decade changes when the digit in the tens spot changes. Or, in the case of centuries, when the digit in the hundreds place changes.

Yet another way to put it is to ask the question, "If you believe the decade ended in 2010, what will you call the next decade that consists of the years 2011-2020? The "Twenty-tens?" Even though the last year is "Twenty-twenty?" I guess the "Roaring 20's" ended in 1930, too.

This isn't hard.

I understand that there was no year 0, but common sense has to prevail sometimes.

On another note, is every Steeler just pretending that their own coach never admitted they did the exact same kind of "cheating?"
Ive never understood how the 80s could not include 1980 yet include 1990.
"The decade of the 90s" is a term used to describe a 10 year period where all of the years started with 199. Not to describe the 199th 10 year period subsequent to the birth of Christ.

Pats:
10 out of last 11 years have had a 10 win or more season.
3 out of 4 SBs
Went too 4 out of 6
BEAT the Steelers twice in THEIR stadium for a chance to go to the SB
Own multiple winning streak records within the Decade

If the Steelers win, they will Tie New England for SB wins this decade, however, The pats went through the Steelers twice on their championships, Steelers have proven only to be able to get to the big game when New England is forced out.

Head to Head is even way unbalanced, and these team meet just about every year.

It's close IF They win, but the reality is, the Pats have dominated this Decade in wins, quality wins, records, historical records, just about everything.

We didn't have the best offense of this decade, but of all time. We didn't have a QB who threw the most TD in a season this decade, but of ALL TIME. The Pats have 2 consecutive win streak records this decade... 2!!!!

They will not Tie N.E. for Super Bowl wins this decade ( 2000-2009 is ten years 2010 starts a new decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back