PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caserio on Wes (Other Free Agents) uses 13th (FA date) as deadline not 5th (tag date)

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Am I reading to much into his using the 13th as a deadline and not the 5th?

Caserio on Welker negotiation - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

"We're going through the process. We've had conversations with our free agents at different points, whether it was in the fall. We'll continue that dialogue," Caserio said. "We have until March 13 until free agency begins. So we'll do our due diligence, we'll go through the process and see where we end up."

Probably since he was talking about all of them and there are 17 is it? I'd imagine on Welker where they are at come the 5th will determine their approach to the tag. If they are are closing in on a deal they probably won't tag him. If they remain fairly apart, they will. We don't know beyond media speculation what Wes is thinking or what they are. And what they are thinking may be effected by some of the retirement decisions they are waiting on and where they are with several of the other impending FA's.

Wes isn't thinking much as he's down in Costa Rica with his fiancé and the Brady Bunch. If he goes all prankster and puts sand in Gisele's bikini bottoms he'll go elsewhere in FA.

Wes isn't thinking much as he's down in Costa Rica with his fiancé and the Brady Bunch. If he goes all prankster and puts sand in Gisele's bikini bottoms he'll go elsewhere in FA.

Something tells me she perpetually has sand in her bikini bottom.

Say what you will about Gisele, Tommy Boy is better off married to her than my wife. The *****ing about the last SB (2006 Colts AFCCG, 2007, and the Jets playoff win against the Pats) has yet to stop.

Last edited:
Am I reading to much into his using the 13th as a deadline and not the 5th?

Caserio on Welker negotiation - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Rapoport expanded on the subject today; mostly speculation but for what it's worth here's his column.

BostonHerald.com - Looking at why Patriots personnel guru Nick Caserio used a different Wes Welker deadline…

I’m told that there really is no progress to report, with the Patriots moving very slowly. Not a total surprise, but just slightly curious. They really are, as Caserio said, taking stock of their options first. If Welker did hit the free agent market, I have a funny feeling the market would be far stronger than a lot of us imagine. I bet a few teams are already kicking the idea around.

Anyway, Caserio addressed all this yesterday… but the thing that got me was that he used a different deadline. He didn’t say Welker’s issue needed to be addressed by March 5, he used the March 13 deadline for free agency. Why?
Essentially, he bypassed the franchise tag. Does that mean it won’t be used on him? That’s what I was thinking, and that could result in Welker testing what should be a very active market. I mentioned that’s what I was thinking to someone who should know yesterday, but was told, “Don’t think too much.” That left me thinking more.

Perhaps Caserio just didn’t want to tip his hand. But it seemed odd..

BostonHerald.com - Weighing the futures of Andre Carter and Mike Wright, the Patriots timetable... and other tidbits

Nick Caserio, Patriots personnel guru, wasn’t lying when he said the Patriots would wait a while. One agent told me the team will convene on Feb. 29 and then address their offseason issues, such as free agents. With an extra week this year between the Combine and free agency, there is a general pause button.

Last edited:
I think the best comment he got was don't think too much...

That said, Benny's reps haven't so much as had a discussion...

The tag still gives him a chance to gauge his market and them to gauge his resolve because teams can talk contract parameters with him, just can't sign him to one without paying the tag price or approaching the Pats about some other trade terms.

Now Benny on the other hand appears destined to have to test his market. As I would imagine they will allow most of their FA to with the possible exception of Connolly or Koppen (one of whom they may want to know they have pre draft and even pre FA). they seem most interested in Carter, but his signing will have to wait simply by virtue of his injury.

The tag still gives him a chance to gauge his market and them to gauge his resolve because teams can talk contract parameters with him, just can't sign him to one without paying the tag price or approaching the Pats about some other trade terms.

Now Benny on the other hand appears destined to have to test his market. As I would imagine they will allow most of their FA to with the possible exception of Connolly or Koppen (one of whom they may want to know they have pre draft and even pre FA). they seem most interested in Carter, but his signing will have to wait simply by virtue of his injury.

I find the RB position in general to be very intriguing. As I think there are 4 guys that we are all interested in and like to certain degrees but nothing really spectacular.

BJGE - has been great for us and has a nose for the end zone and grip on the ball like no other. I think by himself we would all love him back but at what price and his is really the only spot to improve on as it is the only open spot.

Woodhead - He is our third down back and he is a pretty damn good one. I guess we could find someone better but not sure we really are looking to as he fills the role fine and is under contract.

Ridley - Right now based on spurts of good play I think most people are high on him and hope he takes the next step next year. Nothing spectacular yet but he deserves time to develope.

Vareen - no real reasons to be high on him but lets give him the benifit of the doubt regarding his injuries and hope that he learned something this year and can take into next.

I think if there is a 5th RB it would be someone geared toward FB.

So now you have to ask yourself are you OK with Woodhead, Riddley, Vareen, and some lesser known option either cheap vet or low rd/UDFA rookie?

I guess another way to phrase it is how good do you think either or both Vareen and Riddley will be?

I think Woodhead and BJGE as proven to be pretty darn good but not spectacular, the youth of Vareen and Riddley leave you hoping spectacular can be reached.

But because it is just potential you are left with the one last important question, how do you improve this area? ok 2 and at what cost?

I find the RB position in general to be very intriguing. As I think there are 4 guys that we are all interested in and like to certain degrees but nothing really spectacular. BJGE - has been great for us and has a nose for the end zone and grip on the ball like no other. I think by himself we would all love him back but at what price and his is really the only spot to improve on as it is the only open spot. Woodhead - He is our third down back and he is a pretty damn good one. I guess we could find someone better but not sure we really are looking to as he fills the role fine and is under contract. Ridley - Right now based on spurts of good play I think most people are high on him and hope he takes the next step next year. Nothing spectacular yet but he deserves time to develope. Vareen - no real reasons to be high on him but lets give him the benifit of the doubt regarding his injuries and hope that he learned something this year and can take into next. I think if there is a 5th RB it would be someone geared toward FB. So now you have to ask yourself are you OK with Woodhead, Riddley, Vareen, and some lesser known option either cheap vet or low rd/UDFA rookie? I guess another way to phrase it is how good do you think either or both Vareen and Riddley will be? I think Woodhead and BJGE as proven to be pretty darn good but not spectacular, the youth of Vareen and Riddley leave you hoping spectacular can be reached. But because it is just potential you are left with the one last important question, how do you improve this area? ok 2 and at what cost?
In my mind, Benny is what he is, and while he has his moments and strong points, I'd prefer a proven move the pile type of short yardage back. Trouble is Bill has swung and missed a lot on that player due to the nature of the postion and the way veterans wear out. He seems more inclined to swing for the fences in the draft and go for the player who can have impact in space - provided he can get there. That's who Maroney was supposed to be, only absent Dillon as a viable thunder to his lightening he got hurt trying to be the square peg forced into the round hole (or lack thereof given our inconsistent run blocking) and never panned out. I'm genuinely concerned about Riddley and Vareen, one may have had his confidence shattered and the other may not be sufficiently motivated to develop. RB's are usually the easiest position on offense to ingegrate, although on this team the blocking demands make it less easy. Won't really know how they're doing until TC and pre season. Benny made over $2M last season, so I don't have an issue with paying a better option twice that, if one is available. Benny also was plagued with turf toe last season and while that impacted his ability it is also cause for concern since it's a malady that often dogs runners once they've developed it. Remember, the team won't even get eyes on these guys this season until mid April when the off season conditioning program starts and they won't have any OTA's until mid May. Some decisions may have to be made in a vacuum or based on what they last saw from these guys in very limited reps in January and February when in the final analysis neither one of them could get on the field.

In my mind, Benny is what he is, and while he has his moments and strong points, I'd prefer a proven move the pile type of short yardage back. Trouble is Bill has swung and missed a lot on that player due to the nature of the postion and the way veterans wear out. He seems more inclined to swing for the fences in the draft and go for the player who can have impact in space - provided he can get there. That's who Maroney was supposed to be, only absent Dillon as a viable thunder to his lightening he got hurt trying to be the square peg forced into the round hole (or lack thereof given our inconsistent run blocking) and never panned out. I'm genuinely concerned about Riddley and Vareen, one may have had his confidence shattered and the other may not be sufficiently motivated to develop. RB's are usually the easiest position on offense to ingegrate, although on this team the blocking demands make it less easy. Won't really know how they're doing until TC and pre season. Benny made over $2M last season, so I don't have an issue with paying a better option twice that, if one is available. Benny also was plagued with turf toe last season and while that impacted his ability it is also cause for concern since it's a malady that often dogs runners once they've developed it. Remember, the team won't even get eyes on these guys this season until mid April when the off season conditioning program starts and they won't have any OTA's until mid May. Some decisions may have to be made in a vacuum or based on what they last saw from these guys in very limited reps in January and February when in the final analysis neither one of them could get on the field.

A bigger question might be this team's overall commitment to the running game, which I think needs to be re-emphasized to take pressure off an aging Brady. Benny's chief attribute is ball security. As a ground-gainer he's just average and not really a featured-type guy you can regularly depend on to put pressure on a defense. I was hoping Ridley -- who has some explosiveness -- might become that guy this past season until BB put the brakes on him. Vereen also has potential to be a breakaway-type change-up sort of back but he needs to be healthy enough to see the field. I hope he gets some meaningful reps this coming preseason.

My hope is that Ridley and Vereen show enough to enter the mix as featured backs with Benny assuming a Sammy Morris-type role. Vereen also, hopefully, can develop to spell Woodhead on third down when needed. We need the running game to start chewing up chunks of yards and become a legitimate threat, as when Dillon's presence demanded to be accounted for by opposing defenses.

I dont want to shell out 4 Mil for a RB. No reason not think that Vareen wont contribute next year with a healthy hammy and Riddley should just get more comfortable especially if there is no BJGE to take Reps.

Until there is a recommitment to the running game I do not think it is fair to expect the output of a 4mil plus RB. I am OK with bringing back BJGE (not at 4 Mil) and I am OK with another cheap vet player but unless BB has given up on Riddley and Vareen I just dont see it as prudent to invest any real $ at the position spend it on D, Interior OL, or a WR.

A bigger question might be this team's overall commitment to the running game, which I think needs to be re-emphasized to take pressure off an aging Brady. Benny's chief attribute is ball security. As a ground-gainer he's just average and not really a featured-type guy you can regularly depend on to put pressure on a defense. I was hoping Ridley -- who has some explosiveness -- might become that guy this past season until BB put the brakes on him. Vereen also has potential to be a breakaway-type change-up sort of back but he needs to be healthy enough to see the field. I hope he gets some meaningful reps this coming preseason.

My hope is that Ridley and Vereen show enough to enter the mix as featured backs with Benny assuming a Sammy Morris-type role. Vereen also, hopefully, can develop to spell Woodhead on third down when needed. We need the running game to start chewing up chunks of yards and become a legitimate threat, as when Dillon's presence demanded to be accounted for by opposing defenses.

Your last sentence was spot on.

I do not see any of the current group able to provide the relief the passing game sorely needs. Perhaps 2nd year ridley with a shot of confidence or perhaps vereen is able to bring it as hoped.

Otherwise, we need to upgrade that position and it should be a priority.

Your last sentence was spot on.

I do not see any of the current group able to provide the relief the passing game sorely needs. Perhaps 2nd year ridley with a shot of confidence or perhaps vereen is able to bring it as hoped.

Otherwise, we need to upgrade that position and it should be a priority.

Two things for sure: a steady diet of BJGE won't get it done. And expecting Brady to continue carrying this offense as he has is unfair to everyone.

Two things for sure: a steady diet of BJGE won't get it done. And expecting Brady to continue carrying this offense as he has is unfair to everyone.

Exactly..........without the balence that a bonafide running game brings, we will remain one dimensional and vulnerable to the teams (giants, ravens, sometimes jets, etc) that can get in brady's face and disprupt timing along with the overall passing attack.

Screen passes and draws can be quite effective as well.

I find the RB position in general to be very intriguing. As I think there are 4 guys that we are all interested in and like to certain degrees but nothing really spectacular.

BJGE - has been great for us and has a nose for the end zone and grip on the ball like no other. I think by himself we would all love him back but at what price and his is really the only spot to improve on as it is the only open spot.

Woodhead - He is our third down back and he is a pretty damn good one. I guess we could find someone better but not sure we really are looking to as he fills the role fine and is under contract.

Ridley - Right now based on spurts of good play I think most people are high on him and hope he takes the next step next year. Nothing spectacular yet but he deserves time to develope.

Vareen - no real reasons to be high on him but lets give him the benifit of the doubt regarding his injuries and hope that he learned something this year and can take into next.

I think if there is a 5th RB it would be someone geared toward FB.

So now you have to ask yourself are you OK with Woodhead, Riddley, Vareen, and some lesser known option either cheap vet or low rd/UDFA rookie?

I guess another way to phrase it is how good do you think either or both Vareen and Riddley will be?

I think Woodhead and BJGE as proven to be pretty darn good but not spectacular, the youth of Vareen and Riddley leave you hoping spectacular can be reached.

But because it is just potential you are left with the one last important question, how do you improve this area? ok 2 and at what cost?

I think our running back situation is damn near dismal. I suppose there are teams with a worse situation but ours is close to bottom. What have we got that you cannot replace easily? 'Fumbles' Ridley, 'Noshow' Vareen, 'MightyMouse Woodhead, and 'Allstate' BJGE? That is pretty mediocre if you take a long hard look at it objectively.

I think our running back situation is damn near dismal. I suppose there are teams with a worse situation but ours is close to bottom. What have we got that you cannot replace easily? 'Fumbles' Ridley, 'Noshow' Vareen, 'MightyMouse Woodhead, and 'Allstate' BJGE? That is pretty mediocre if you take a long hard look at it objectively.

I am not going to argue its in great shape but its only in dismal shape if you have given up on the two rookies before they get a sophmore year.

I think you give these two kids another year to prove themselves and compliment that with under contract Woodhead and either BJGE or another cheap vet and I only want BJGE back if its cheap. I don't want to waste money here I want to rely on the investment from last years draft and use the money on D, interior oline, and WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes