PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Casale's 8/9 Afternoon Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm Ron Borges?

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Maybe I was wrong about Roach. Looks like he's starting to make some strides.

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=20413&pcid=44

Who’s Hot: Freddie Roach – One week after landing on the downswing, Roach is starting to make an impact. We can’t be too quick to throw a player aside just because he doesn’t look good as soon as camp starts. Roach looked lost early on but he’s starting to pick things up and is rising up the depth chart. He could be one of those Patriot-kind of players. Someone who doesn’t blaze a great 40-time but understands the game of football and makes plays on the field. He’s a punishing tackler at the point of attack, as a lot of the Patriots ball carriers are finding out and he also displayed some nice coverage skills by picking off a Todd Mortensen pass in the afternoon practice. After not getting many reps early in camp, Roach has done a complete 360. I would say no player has come as far in training camp as Roach has. He’s gone from fighting for a job on the practice squad to battling for a spot on the final roster.

Who’s Not: Wesley Britt – While Roach is moving up the depth chart, it appears Britt is heading in the opposite direction. At mini-camp and the start of training camp, Britt was seeing a lot of time at right tackle with the first-team offense but that’s changed of late. Brandon Gorin and rookie Ryan O’Callaghan have been splitting reps with the first-team, followed by Britt. It’s hard to pinpoint what coaches are thinking and how they see the team shaping up but one would have to believe that it’s not good news for a player to be getting less and less reps as camp goes on. Britt will have to play well in the upcoming preseason games because from the little I’ve seen of him, the team may have found themselves a keeper in O’Callaghan.

Play of the Practice – The Patriots didn’t do a lot in the afternoon session but Cassel fired some nice bullets out of his machine gun of an arm. On one play Keron Henry ran an out on Ellis Hobbs and Cassel fired a dart that sailed a little high. Henry extended and pulled the ball down in front of Hobbs, drawing cheers from the crowd. The only bad thing about the play is Hobbs – sporting a No. 21 DeAngelo Hall scout team jersey – is doing little in camp to remind anyone of the Falcons Pro Bowl cornerback.

go back and look it up - I told you so about Freddie 'Master' Roach...:D :D :D

Hope this is based on more than a reaction to Belichick's words of encouragement today. If Roach is indeed making dramatic (I'd settle for semi-significant) strides at LB, that would be huge. We'll see if he can keep it up or if this is just a blip.

I don't like that Hobbs tidbit though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back