PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL network : Peppers close to going to NE for #34 !

The answer to this and the cap question could be one and the same. Maybe the only thing keeping this from happening is Peppers working out a long term deal with NE, or NE making the necessary cap moves to clear enough space.

They'd probably trade Green for a pick. That might be enough to make it work.

Was a #2 for C. Dillon (which was basically one good year) worth it ? Yes, they did resign him for more, but it was only in that first year he was super valuable. I'd say YES, it was worth it - because he brought the goods in they won the SB.

I'd say it was worth it, but you can't continually make moves like that. I think they intended on having him for more than one year, and unfortunately it didn't happen. If you keep trading away picks for one year helpers, eventually you're going to be left decimated.

Not saying it doesn't happen where you take a risk and only end up getting 1 year, but you can't plan with that being the strategy.

I'd say it was worth it, but you can't continually make moves like that. I think they intended on having him for more than one year, and unfortunately it didn't happen. If you keep trading away picks for one year helpers, eventually you're going to be left decimated.

Not saying it doesn't happen where you take a risk and only end up getting 1 year, but you can't plan with that being the strategy.

Ok, but playing devil's advocate : isn't the fact they have quite a few 2nd rounders even more likely one would move ? I would have guessed a trade for a pick in '11... but this would be another option. Can't the Pats get players with the other 2 second rounders and sign them long-term for the future ?

You forgot Wheatley and Sanders... you know you like that.

Merriweather as well. Bodden and Springs ain't too bad either.

...furthermore : is Peppers a "risk" ?

This could be the start of somthing good.Peppers is the man! Could care less about 19-0 though, its all about showing up in big games.

2009 is payback!

Ok, but playing devil's advocate : isn't the fact they have quite a few 2nd rounders even more likely one would move ? I would have guessed a trade for a pick in '11... but this would be another option. Can't the Pats get players with the other 2 second rounders and sign them long-term for the future ?

Oh absolutely sure. I just think #34, which is almost a first rounder, is put to better use trying to nab a long term acquisition.

I am drooling over the prospect of Peppers though...

I don't know. Everything was provided by an "NFL Source" who also seemed to know the Patriots draft strategy. Some seems a bit off here.

But hey, I also thought they would get be trading for Randy Moss.

Oh absolutely sure. I just think #34, which is almost a first rounder, is put to better use trying to nab a long term acquisition.

Don't get obsessed with #34... it's Vrabel & Cassel for Peppers, really.

...furthermore : is Peppers a "risk" ?

He's a risk primarily because you'd only be getting one year out of him, but on top of that, as has been pointed out, he has never been proven to be an effective 3-4 OLB. I think there's a good chance he will be, but you never know, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be a strong 3-4 DE if the first experiment failed.

He's a risk primarily because you'd only be getting one year out of him, but on top of that, as has been pointed out, he has never been proven to be an effective 3-4 OLB. I think there's a good chance he will be, but you never know, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be a strong 3-4 DE if the first experiment failed.

He wouldn't be a patch on Sey as at DE in a 3-4.

Don't get obsessed with #34... it's Vrabel & Cassel for Peppers, really.

Put like that, it sounds a lot better because we didn't need Cassel. But now that we have the 34, it is the 34 for Peppers, and I'm saying it's not quite so black and white.

If it's the 34 for 3+ years of Peppers, then sign me up.

If it's the 34 for 1 year and then Peppers getting 100 million in an uncapped FA year, I don't see as much of an upside.

Why is everyone suggesting that Peppers won't be a long term acquisition??? If they can get him at slightly below market rates a la Adalius, they could lock him up for the next 3-5 years. This will likely require cutting the fat where possible and/or restructuring, but Peppers would go a long away to solving our 3d down defensive woes.

Why is everyone suggesting that Peppers won't be a long term acquisition??? If they can get him at slightly below market rates a la Adalius, they could lock him up for the next 3-5 years. This will likely require cutting the fat where possible and/or restructuring, but Peppers would go a long away to solving our 3d down defensive woes.

My comments were in response to someone saying it would be easier to fit under the cap if it was a one year "prove it" deal like Bodden signed. More money obviously than Bodden, but still, one year with the intention of cashing in on the uncapped year.

My contention is, one year of a player is not worth the 34 overall.

re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 (merged 3x)

Carucci is on WEEI talking about it right now...

Last edited:

$16.7M

That's how much Pepper's franchise tag is for.

He's too damn expensive.

It is inconceivable to me that BB would be prepared to pay anywhere near that much.

Even if this move depends on Peppers signing a long term deal, it seems insane.

There are just two scenarios in which this makes any sense for us:

1. Peppers is coming to NE to sign a short term deal and a HUGE discount so he can pick up a ring and play for the best.

2. Kraft is banking on an uncapped 2010 and has decided to piss off his fellow owners by blowing straight through the would-be salary cap. In this case, we sign Peppers to a deal structured just like the Haynesworth deal with a vast bonus coming due during 2010. That would mean that the two strongest teams (financially) have already committed to doing nasty evil things to the salary cap in 2010, and the CBA negotiation could get a LOT more interesting with rich owner/ poor owner disputes taking center stage.

In either case, Peppers has to sign BEFORE the trde is completed. $16.7M is just batty. And here I was just saying that at $9M Seymour wouldn't be cheap (he'd still be worth it). $16.7M (plus #34) might cause my head to explode.

Put like that, it sounds a lot better because we didn't need Cassel. But now that we have the 34, it is the 34 for Peppers, and I'm saying it's not quite so black and white.

If it's the 34 for 3+ years of Peppers, then sign me up.

If it's the 34 for 1 year and then Peppers getting 100 million in an uncapped FA year, I don't see as much of an upside.

I know what you're saying... but just for a second, look at it like this.

Do you think a healthy Peppers - plus an upgraded secondary, plus a healthy Brady, plus Moss, Galloway, Welker etc. etc. etc. gives us a pretty damn incredible shot at a dominant season and Super Bowl victory?

If your answer is yes, ask yourself, would you trade Cassel and Vrabel straight up for a 2009 Lombardi Trophy, worrying about 2010 in 2010?

I would.

Last edited:

yup, i'd be surprised if bill traded away the pick for ONLY the one year commitment, if those goes down it only makes sense that the pats have something extended in place prior

re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 (merged 3x)

I would like him on the team, but i dont want them to break the bank for the guy which they will have to do in order to get him. So ill pass

Last edited:

Long term contract = not $16.7M. He'd still be expensive but pass rushers are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes