PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Pats remain interested in Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, Patjew:

From what I have read this is not always correct. He can be signed to a new contract by his old team and then traded, which allows the new team to pick him up at whatever the "new contract" is worth. This does take some fenageling but is possible.

Which sort of goes along with BB saying on WEEI that he wouldn't do anything until Peppers had signed his franchise with Carolina.

It is always dangerous to take one situation and apply it to all possibilities, it quite often spreads incorrect information.

He's citing something different. Peppers isn't under contract. So if they can get the team to take less compensation, they will and he'll sign a new deal. They could also agree to a deal and he signs it with the Panthers who THEN trade it Peppers.

There's also the completion bonus to consider.

And most of, Peppers KNOWS he will never get more one-shot money than he could get from Carolina. He's not primarily motivated by money.

If he comes here, the deal will not be as stunning as everyone expects and we'll compose a hundred threads wondering what took so long.

But will the bards sing tales of his heroic deeds?

He's citing something different. Peppers isn't under contract. So if they can get the team to take less compensation, they will and he'll sign a new deal. They could also agree to a deal and he signs it with the Panthers who THEN trade it Peppers.

There's also the completion bonus to consider.

And most of, Peppers KNOWS he will never get more one-shot money than he could get from Carolina. He's not primarily motivated by money.

If he comes here, the deal will not be as stunning as everyone expects and we'll compose a hundred threads wondering what took so long.

Yeah, I was wondering if they could do a sign and trade a la the NBA.

From what I have read this is not always correct. He can be signed to a new contract by his old team and then traded, which allows the new team to pick him up at whatever the "new contract" is worth. This does take some fenageling but is possible.

Which sort of goes along with BB saying on WEEI that he wouldn't do anything until Peppers had signed his franchise with Carolina.

It is always dangerous to take one situation and apply it to all possibilities, it quite often spreads incorrect information.

Here's the problem, then:

(A) Let's say Peppers is willing to play for $3M a year in New England. You need to design the contract in such a way that passes muster and keeps Carolina from turning around and just keeping him at that salary.

(B) Because of the rules regarding prorations, etc., I don't know that the Patriots would be able to give him any sort of signing bonus in a scenario where Peppers "renegotiates" with Carolina and is then traded, and I don't think Carolina is going to accept a cap hit to trade him.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it says something that no pundit who has suggested that this trade is likely to occur has actually written out a "Here's one way this could happen," or talked to any "NFL insiders" about what would need to happen to make it work.

I just saw this on rotoworld:

(Julius Peppers-DL-Panthers Apr. 17 - 11:12 am et)

The Eagles and Patriots remain "in the mix" to acquire franchise player Julius Peppers, according to the Rock Hill Herald.

Panthers GM Marty Hurney has suggested he may hang onto Peppers, but he's disgruntled and a huge salary cap burden. Talks will pick up next week.
Source: Rock Hill Herald
Related: Patriots, Eagles

Last edited:
Here's the problem, then:

(A) Let's say Peppers is willing to play for $3M a year in New England. You need to design the contract in such a way that passes muster and keeps Carolina from turning around and just keeping him at that salary.

(B) Because of the rules regarding prorations, etc., I don't know that the Patriots would be able to give him any sort of signing bonus in a scenario where Peppers "renegotiates" with Carolina and is then traded, and I don't think Carolina is going to accept a cap hit to trade him.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it says something that no pundit who has suggested that this trade is likely to occur has actually written out a "Here's one way this could happen," or talked to any "NFL insiders" about what would need to happen to make it work.

Here is how Florio says it happens:

LINK

Basically, payment of any bonus is deferred a couple days until the trade goes through, so the old team doesn't take on any acceleration of SB. The trade is already agreed upon so the team can't just not trade the player. Really, it is just the order things occur.

However, and the end of the day, the tender is not an issue, just the new contract is valid. However, that is still a pretty big obstacle to cross, considering any deal he gets will probably entail $6M-$7M in first year cap room. And he would have to sign his tender first, since Belichick has stated he isn't going to go through the agent.

Last edited:
Here is how Florio says it happens:

LINK

Not quite what I meant: I was referring to this specific case, an estimate of how much money the Patriots might pay Peppers, and where they'd get the salary cap room to do it.

"CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney remains confident defensive end Julius Peppers will return to the team next season, even as he’s made public his wishes to play elsewhere.

In a pre-draft interview with reporters Thursday, Hurney said there were no new developments in the stalemate with their four-time Pro Bowl pick.

If a trade is not worked out, Hurney said he doesn’t believe Peppers would hold out of training camp.

"We’ve known Julius for seven years, and it has been a good seven years," Hurney said. "I think he knows how we feel, and we feel like he’s been happy here. And again, nothing has changed. We franchised him, and when we did we knew there was a period for the process to take place. When that process goes through then he’s going to be back."

Under the non-exclusive franchise tag... only agent Carl Carey can negotiate with other teams...Hurney said he hasn’t been approached by Carey with a trade offer.

"When we franchised Julius we did so with the intention of having him back," Hurney said, "and that’s where it stands."

Carolina's not planning on losing JP from the sounds of it,no new developments,no trade offers have been received. In other words, all the news/hype is coming from the media based upon a statement made by Peppers. The media keeps touting high interest from the Pats and whoever else but seriously what team wouldn't have interest,he's a beast:D

We need a new player to drool over, there's absolutely nothing concrete to this saga,but for sure if I were a sportswriter I'd keep fanning the speculation fires just to get the ticks and the discussion plus as the draft gets closer I'm sure we'll see a lot more of it.

Like the Moss stories- those rumors started 2 years(+-) before we actually got him,and when we did it was during the draft. It was awesome how that got done :)

Carolina's not planning on losing JP from the sounds of it,no new developments,no trade offers have been received. In other words, all the news/hype is coming from the media based upon a statement made by Peppers. The media keeps touting high interest from the Pats and whoever else but seriously what team wouldn't have interest,he's a beast:D

We need a new player to drool over, there's absolutely nothing concrete to this saga,but for sure if I were a sportswriter I'd keep fanning the speculation fires just to get the ticks and the discussion plus as the draft gets closer I'm sure we'll see a lot more of it.

Like the Moss stories- those rumors started 2 years(+-) before we actually got him,and when we did it was during the draft. It was awesome how that got done :)

Yeah, I didn't see anything from PFT that states for one second the possibility of Carolina trading him. It actually quotes the Panthers as saying that they are "certain that he'll remain with the team, and report to camp." Also says they have received zero trade offers. I think even in the off chance that he actually leaves Carolina's 17 mill on the table, he'll then be traded to someone who is significantly under the cap. As much as I'd like to see him in a Pats uniform, I think he'll take his 17 mill, and become a free agent next yr. Especially considering that the players think they are all going to demand a huge payday and bidding war, via the possibility of no salary cap. Hate to state an obvious TO quote, but he really does have 17 million reasons to stay one more yr with Carolina, even if he wants out. All he has to do is stay one more yr, make over a million dollars per game, keep to himself, and then turn down their offer next yr--if he wants out so badly. Since his agent is heavy on the commission, I couldn't imagine him steering Peppers any other way, except maybe a huge guaranteed salary.

Yeah, I didn't see anything from PFT that states for one second the possibility of Carolina trading him. It actually quotes the Panthers as saying that they are "certain that he'll remain with the team, and report to camp." Also says they have received zero trade offers. I think even in the off chance that he actually leaves Carolina's 17 mill on the table, he'll then be traded to someone who is significantly under the cap. As much as I'd like to see him in a Pats uniform, I think he'll take his 17 mill, and become a free agent next yr. Especially considering that the players think they are all going to demand a huge payday and bidding war, via the possibility of no salary cap. Hate to state an obvious TO quote, but he really does have 17 million reasons to stay one more yr with Carolina, even if he wants out. All he has to do is stay one more yr, make over a million dollars per game, keep to himself, and then turn down their offer next yr--if he wants out so badly. Since his agent is heavy on the commission, I couldn't imagine him steering Peppers any other way, except maybe a huge guaranteed salary.

Right. He should take the franchise money and go FA next year which might be uncaped. Some GM might give him a huge guaranteed contract.

What he risks by playing franchised this year is a career ending or compromising injury that never allows the big payday.

Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - news, projections, rankings, draft guide - Rotoworld.com

The Eagles and Patriots remain "in the mix" to acquire franchise player Julius Peppers, according to the Rock Hill Herald.
Panthers GM Marty Hurney has suggested he may hang onto Peppers, but he's disgruntled and a huge salary cap burden. Talks will pick up next week.
Source: Rock Hill Herald

The eagles arent a 34 team so who knows if pep would want to go there but we can probably count out philly being players since they just reportedly traded for Jason Peters.

Right. He should take the franchise money and go FA next year which might be uncaped. Some GM might give him a huge guaranteed contract.

What he risks by playing franchised this year is a career ending or compromising injury that never allows the big payday.

I understand that there's always a risk, no matter what, but isn't the 17 mill from this yr just as good as the guaranteed money J.Harrison just got, about 20 mill? No matter what, he receives the guaranteed money from this yr.

Yes, he may get injured. It could even be as great as Brady's, S.Merriman's, or C.Palmers--but that still means he's back in a yr, with 17 mill guaranteed in his pocket. The players who have received career ending injuries are not that common, so I still feel the risk/reward ratio is on his side. It would be hard to put into numeric figures off of the top of my head, but don't you think it'd be IDK, less than 5%?

I understand that there's always a risk, no matter what, but isn't the 17 mill from this yr just as good as the guaranteed money J.Harrison just got, about 20 mill? No matter what, he receives the guaranteed money from this yr.

Yes, he may get injured. It could even be as great as Brady's, S.Merriman's, or C.Palmers--but that still means he's back in a yr, with 17 mill guaranteed in his pocket. The players who have received career ending injuries are not that common, so I still feel the risk/reward ratio is on his side. It would be hard to put into numeric figures off of the top of my head, but don't you think it'd be IDK, less than 5%?

Sure risk is low but football is a contact sport.

I simply said he risks future guaranteed money LARGER than $17M by playing as a franchised player this season. Period.

if he just wanted money, why wouldn't he have taken that jumbo deal they offered him?

if the risk is so low, why do all these guys ***** and cry when they get franchised?
they should love it.

I think bodden even had it written into his contract that he couldn't be franchised next year.

Eagle's just got Peters in a trade with the Bills. I don't see them going after
Peppers now.

Peppers now.

Philly isn't a 3-4 team, why did he have them on his 'list?' Or are people just speculating because of their 2 first rd picks, cap space, etc?

Peppers now.

I don't pretend to know what Philly is thinking, but that's a team that always has cap space. I'd think that they could trade away their remaining #1 pick and come out of the 'draft' with Peters and Peppers and whomever they take with the remaining lower round picks, and feel pretty darned good about that.

Eagles fans would become even more insufferable than usual.

I'll bet Philly trades down there other #1 pick for next year.

I'm just guessing, obviously I don't have any idea what he's thinking--but I'm wondering if he turned down the reported 20+ guaranteed money because he figures he can get that by staying the one more yr anyway? If he wants out so badly, and wants to go to a 3-4, then he still gets almost all of the guaranteed big contract money they offered him, just by playing this one yr. Then he gets it all over again next yr by moving to another team, and most likely getting a contract at least comparable to Carolina's?

I know they hate getting tagged in most cases, but he'll have gotten over 30 million in guaranteed money, just by playing this yr and last. That's incredible. If he goes to another team next yr, in an uncapped yr, then he'd be looking at least at another 20+ in guaranteed loot. That'd be over 50 million in absolute guaranteed money for the last 3 yrs of play. It may be worth the risk/reward scenario that they all have to go through and consider, but most aren't making 50 million in guaranteed money over 3 yrs, either.

The more I think about it, that would really seem like the right thing to do from his standpoint, monetary-wise. As he would have to play at least 3-4 yrs, at a minimum, to have that kind of money guaranteed. If risk to injury is what we're discussing, then it'd be the risk of one yr vs. the risk of at least 3-4 yrs. There's also other factors involved, how important money is to him, whether or not Carolina wants to dump the high salary, etc-- but from Peppers' monetary standpoint, I couldn't think of a smarter, and less risky proposition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing