PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Pats remain interested in Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't the Falcons have a shot at a Super Bowl.

Technically everybody has a shot. Atlanta's just not the first team that comes to mind. In that vein,KC has a shot too but apparently Gonzales doesn't see it tht way,given his statement.

Last edited:
:sleeping::yawn2: yawnnn..... I'm going to take a nap. Wake me when he gets here.

Well at least Carrucci hasn't shown righteous indignation like Curran did when people started to question his story. Curran had far more egg on his face because he went on WEEI and attacked Adam Schefter, Peter King, Shara Springer, and Charlie Casserly for not having as good or detailed information as him and that he was right and they were wrong. Carrucci at least had more dignity with this story.

I like Curran too, but he did act childish while defending his story. Carrucci from what I have seen hasn't.
I agree with everything you wrote.

Also, couldn't Carolina just drop the tag and make him a FA, on condition that the Pats send whatever picks they deem appropriate compensation. Kraft and the Panthers owner are very good friends, and I think there's enough good faith between the two organizations that the Panthers wouldn't have to worry about the Pats holding up their end of the deal upon the tag being rescinded (not sure if this is allowed though, but just a thought)

Yes, but I don't know how you just give a team draft picks. Since Peppers isn't under contract, you can't make a trade. Although I have never seen this happen, I've heard that the commissioner can take the franchise tag off of any player he feels a team has no intention of keeping. Let's say that Peppers isn't traded on draft day. If the Panthers are telling the truth that they don't have any cap, their going to have to start cutting players or take the tag off of Peppers. There is a deadline where a team has to either sign a player long term, one year tender or take the tag off. The only way Carolina can keep him is if they sign him to a long term deal. I don't get why people are saying Carolina will expect the kitchen sink for Peppers because most people know they have no intention of keeping him. I wouldn't be surprised to see a garage sale for Peppers on draft day. Teams are going to start low balling the Panthers with a 3rd round pick. In the end, the Panthers will learn the best they can get is one of the Patriots 2nd round picks.

Last edited:
I believe that the Pats are interested in Peppers, and am hopeful that a deal gets done. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Athletes like Peppers are rare, and BB has stated before that he thinks very highly of him, and his ability to play OLB.

Really? I hadn't seen that, but I agree that if he went out of his way to say that then it probably means something.

You didn't answer the question. Don't assume that journalists are figures of authority who have it all figured out; they're oftentimes not and they usually don't.

IMO, the only way Peppers comes on board is if he agrees to a major, major paycut. I don't care what James Harrison is making, he's the reigning DPOY. Peppers is switching positions. If he wants to be paid like Harrison, then he won't be a Patriot, and I'm fine with that. I'm not totally sold on him anyways. There's no precedent for guys that size playing OLB and doing what he'd have to do, and he's entering the second half of his career. I'd rather the Pats try to get some young, cost-controlled guys in there, and use whatever money they save to try to lock up Wilfork and, if possible, Seymour.

Answer what question? Im not assuming journalists are figures of authority thats ridiculous im just saying theres a good chance vic knows the cap situation and what it would take to pull it off, he wouldnt be stating over and over again the Pats remain interested in peppers if he didnt think it was possible all the way around, which includes the cap space needed to be cleared, comp for carolina and a contract for pep.

Answer what question? Im not assuming journalists are figures of authority thats ridiculous im just saying theres a good chance vic knows the cap situation and what it would take to pull it off, he wouldnt be stating over and over again the Pats remain interested in peppers if he didnt think it was possible all the way around, which includes the cap space needed to be cleared, comp for carolina and a contract for pep.

I think that the question to you was, who on the current roster would you cut to make room for him? We would have to do some serious cutbacks all across the board, and restructure a bunch of contracts to make it happen.

I think Peppers should wait it out, and play in Carolina this year. Then get traded during next years uncapped season. Just my humble opinion.

I think Peppers should wait it out, and play in Carolina this year. Then get traded during next years uncapped season. Just my humble opinion.
But I want him and I want him NOW! :p

If it's going to happen, it'll happen draft day one would suspect.

I think that the question to you was, who on the current roster would you cut to make room for him? We would have to do some serious cutbacks all across the board, and restructure a bunch of contracts to make it happen.

if that's the question then I'm not sure who'd they cut or restructure, but the fact is if bb wants him bad enough they can make it happen it is a long shot but not impossible.

if that's the question then I'm not sure who'd they cut or restructure, but the fact is if bb wants him bad enough they can make it happen it is a long shot but not impossible.

Right, then can make it happen by cutting someone. Cutting Kevin Faulk, Jarvis Green, and Pierre Woods, for example, would free up $6M in cap room. Hence why Peppers, under the 1-year franchise tag, absolutely will not be coming to the Patriots. Even if he did agree to a contract extension, how much would he want? $8-9M per year? You can't evaluate bringing Peppers on board without accounting for who we'd have to jettison to get him.

Right, then can make it happen by cutting someone. Cutting Kevin Faulk, Jarvis Green, and Pierre Woods, for example, would free up $6M in cap room. Hence why Peppers, under the 1-year franchise tag, absolutely will not be coming to the Patriots. Even if he did agree to a contract extension, how much would he want? $8-9M per year? You can't evaluate bringing Peppers on board without accounting for who we'd have to jettison to get him.

So even if we work out a contract with pep we still would need to clear almost 17 mil in cap space just cause hes under the franchise tag right?

So even if we work out a contract with pep we still would need to clear almost 17 mil in cap space just cause hes under the franchise tag right?

No, I don't think so. We'd have to clear enough to match the cap impact of what we pay him.

No, I don't think so. We'd have to clear enough to match the cap impact of what we pay him.

Ok so we wont have to free up the 16.7 mil which represents his tag, but we would have to free up whatever amount the first year of his new contract with us is right?

Really? I hadn't seen that, but I agree that if he went out of his way to say that then it probably means something.

Someone posted it on the board before, and I don't have the quote. In a past game against Carolina, BB gave a glowing review of Peppers (similar to how he did to Randy), and on WEEI a few weeks ago, he said that Peppers could play many positions, including OLB, without a problem.

Yes, but I don't know how you just give a team draft picks. Since Peppers isn't under contract, you can't make a trade. Although I have never seen this happen, I've heard that the commissioner can take the franchise tag off of any player he feels a team has no intention of keeping. Let's say that Peppers isn't traded on draft day. If the Panthers are telling the truth that they don't have any cap, their going to have to start cutting players or take the tag off of Peppers. There is a deadline where a team has to either sign a player long term, one year tender or take the tag off. The only way Carolina can keep him is if they sign him to a long term deal. I don't get why people are saying Carolina will expect the kitchen sink for Peppers because most people know they have no intention of keeping him. I wouldn't be surprised to see a garage sale for Peppers on draft day. Teams are going to start low balling the Panthers with a 3rd round pick. In the end, the Panthers will learn the best they can get is one of the Patriots 2nd round picks.

The Panthers have never said they don't have any cap. I believe as of last week they had considerably more cap space than we do including Peppers cap. They have always contended they franchised him with the intention of keeping him. They've been trying to sign him to an extention for 2 years. Last year they tagged Gross for the same reason and this year they got him signed just before the deadline for FA which is what enabled them to place the tag on Peppers.

Here is what the Panthers GM had to say to the mediots (and fans) who just refuse to listen (AGAIN) about Peppers yesterday:

"CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney remains confident defensive end Julius Peppers will return to the team next season, even as he’s made public his wishes to play elsewhere.

In a pre-draft interview with reporters Thursday, Hurney said there were no new developments in the stalemate with their four-time Pro Bowl pick.

If a trade is not worked out, Hurney said he doesn’t believe Peppers would hold out of training camp.

"We’ve known Julius for seven years, and it has been a good seven years," Hurney said. "I think he knows how we feel, and we feel like he’s been happy here. And again, nothing has changed. We franchised him, and when we did we knew there was a period for the process to take place. When that process goes through then he’s going to be back."

Under the non-exclusive franchise tag... only agent Carl Carey can negotiate with other teams...Hurney said he hasn’t been approached by Carey with a trade offer.

"When we franchised Julius we did so with the intention of having him back," Hurney said, "and that’s where it stands."

Ok so we wont have to free up the 16.7 mil which represents his tag, but we would have to free up whatever amount the first year of his new contract with us is right?

Sorry, Patjew:

Quarterback Tom Brady has yet to publicly comment on the Patriots' acquisition of receiver Randy Moss, but his actions speak volumes.

As part of the whirlwind process that brought Moss to New England, Brady provided a key assist.

Because the Patriots had to acquire the original terms of Moss's contract as part of the trade with the Raiders, the team needed to clear salary cap space to absorb the $9.75 million figure that Moss was scheduled to earn.

Enter Brady, who agreed to restructure his present contract that runs through 2010 to create the space.

That allowed the Patriots to finalize the trade for Moss, who then tore up his old contract and signed a one-year, $3 million deal that could be worth up to $5 million in incentives.

I am not big Peppers fan, so just asking :

Would the Patriots trade Seymour for Peppers ?

I am thinking that
- Seymour is on the last of year of his current contract and who likely want Albert Haynesworth type contract next year. So if Patriots could get Peppers for the similar money that they are currently paying Seymour then I think it would be win-win situation.
- BB didn't want to use Seymour on third downs last season and probably feels that Seymour is regressing. They may be able to draft DL to fill in for Seymour on two downs.

Seymour is in no position to ask for Haynesworth money.

Ah so.

Seems strange, though. Is there a way around this?

He's citing something different. Peppers isn't under contract. So if they can get the team to take less compensation, they will and he'll sign a new deal. They could also agree to a deal and he signs it with the Panthers who THEN trade it Peppers.

There's also the completion bonus to consider.

And most of, Peppers KNOWS he will never get more one-shot money than he could get from Carolina. He's not primarily motivated by money.

If he comes here, the deal will not be as stunning as everyone expects and we'll compose a hundred threads wondering what took so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back