PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Maroney may outshine Bush by seasons end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker

Rookie
Reaction score
very supportive article by Vic Carucci in his Tuesday Huddle. I dont think it has been posted but it is good to see our guy getting some heads turned now. heres the link:

http://nfl.com/news/story/9703210

"After watching him tear through the Cincinnati Bengals defense as if it weren't there, a pretty strong argument could be made for him to be the league's best offensive rookie, if not its best rookie, period".

"His balance and body control are as good as you'll find with any running back, established or otherwise, in the NFL".

I got in an arguement with Browns fans yesterday by simply stating that Maroney is the best pick of the first round as of now (combining ability and draft position). I should give them this link but I think I lost interest at some point.

Although I did like this quote from one of the Browns' fans :

"This kid runs like a throwback, think Earl Campbell and Jim Brown highlights. He's got speed, power and vision. This comparison is obviously hyperbole at this point, but he looks amazing. He's is definitely the next star at RB.

I'd take him over any of the other young guns right now, with the possible exception of Reggie Bush because he's a rare talent in his own right. Maroney looks like everything Stephen Jackson, Cedric Benson and Ronnie Brown are supposed to be."

Parker said:
very supportive article by Vic Carucci in his Tuesday Huddle. I dont think it has been posted but it is good to see our guy getting some heads turned now. heres the link:

http://nfl.com/news/story/9703210

"After watching him tear through the Cincinnati Bengals defense as if it weren't there, a pretty strong argument could be made for him to be the league's best offensive rookie, if not its best rookie, period".

"His balance and body control are as good as you'll find with any running back, established or otherwise, in the NFL".

By sesasons end? Hasn't he, um, outshined him to this point already?

I don't really care if he "out shines" Bush or any one else.

Just as long as he keeps playing the way he's playing, and even improves, that's all I care about.

PATSNUTme said:

Just as long as he keeps playing the way he's playing, and even improves, that's all I care about.

Word up, G.

Brownfan80 said:
By sesasons end? Hasn't he, um, outshined him to this point already?

good point. and I could really give two ****s if he outshines anyone either. but for anyone who saw draft day, Bush seemed to be the only RB even worthy of discussion. I just love that people are finally realizing what an amazing talent Maroney really is. I saw him play many games at Minnesota and I almost fell off my chair when we picked him. I am pumped he is in a Pats jersey and Denver didnt snag him up at 13 or whatever.

Last edited:
Parker said:
I am pumped he is in a Pats jersey and Denver didnt snag him up at 13 or whatever.
For the love of God, don't even mention Maroney and the Broncos or Colts - could you imagine him in those offenses ? :eek:

I think it's always fun to see the guy you drafted at 21 outshine everybody else in the first round, including the first RB taken who was supposed to be a once in a lifetime talent.

PATSNUTme said:

Me too. I haven't been this happy about our running back situation since Curtis.

But don't write off Bush just because we're thrilled with Maroney. That guy is a highlight film waiting to happen every time he touches the ball. He is destined to be a star. Let Bush get all the highlight reels while Maroney quietly goes about the business of picking up consistent chunks of real estate when the game is on the line.

I guess I'm just saying enjoy them both for the different talents they bring to the table.

I knew these comparisons were about to happem. Bush and Maroney are 2 different players, playing different roles. I think both will be huge stars. Bush is not having a bad rookie year, he has made an impact, he will be a superstar. I think Maroney will be great in his own right, and be a better fit for the Pats.

People like the comparison for obvious reasons, with Dillon and Duce playing the workhose role, and Bush and Maroney being the change of pace back. But the Pats do not use Maroney in that role, Faulk is still the 3rd down change of pace type back. Maroney is doing an even split as the workhorse back with dillon.

Just promise me one thing, make sure the kid doesn't play in any beach football games durng Pro Bowl weekend.

Anyone who thinks he isnt going to be a better pro AND admit he is already outplaying Bush obviously hasnt been paying attention. Bush will never be a 25 carry guy whre maroney will. Bush = 3rd down back :(

zippo59 said:
I think it's always fun to see the guy you drafted at 21 outshine everybody else in the first round, including the first RB taken who was supposed to be a once in a lifetime talent.

This is what I was going to say. We got someone who is being compared extremely favorably with the guy everyone thinks is the true overall #1 pick. I mean, with our success, we should not have been in this position at all. They really knocked one out of the park with Maroney.

Peter Pat said:
Just promise me one thing, make sure the kid doesn't play in any beach football games durng Pro Bowl weekend.

I saw somewhere yesterday about robert edwards having 9 touchdowns his rookie year. really depressed me, he was shaping into one of my favorite Pats before that accident. hopefully Maroney is here to stay.

Parker said:
I saw somewhere yesterday about robert edwards having 9 touchdowns his rookie year. really depressed me, he was shaping into one of my favorite Pats before that accident. hopefully Maroney is here to stay.

Edwards was nowhere near the back that Maroney is. He was slow and lacked the natural instincts that Maroney has. Maroney is faster, stronger, and has better moves. Believe me, if you were liking Edwards that much, you're really going to love Maroney.

Bush - 147 yards rushing, 3.3 avg. O TD's

Maroneny - 294 yards rushing, 4.9 avg., 3 TD's.

I think the outshining has already begun.

Peter Pat said:
I knew these comparisons were about to happem. Bush and Maroney are 2 different players, playing different roles. I think both will be huge stars. Bush is not having a bad rookie year, he has made an impact, he will be a superstar. I think Maroney will be great in his own right, and be a better fit for the Pats.

People like the comparison for obvious reasons, with Dillon and Duce playing the workhose role, and Bush and Maroney being the change of pace back. But the Pats do not use Maroney in that role, Faulk is still the 3rd down change of pace type back. Maroney is doing an even split as the workhorse back with dillon.

Or beach volleyball for that matter.

In fact, I don't even want him vacationing on a beach.

Steer clear of the sand Laurence!

Last edited:
Oswlek said:
Or beach volleyball for that matter.

In fact, I don't even want him vacationing on a beach.

Steer clear of the sand Laurence!

Put him in stasis after the super bowl, I'm all about that.

You guys had to remind me about Edwards... when Kraft kept him on board for three seasons while he tried to get back, I kept waiting and waiting... and thinking what a class act Kraft was. He at least got on the field again, and got that game bowl playing for Miami... that was great to see. But that was a tragedy... right when we lose Curtis, and it looks like we have the issue covered, BAM! (no pun intended.)

PFnV

Willie55 said:
Bush - 147 yards rushing, 3.3 avg. O TD's

Maroneny - 294 yards rushing, 4.9 avg., 3 TD's.

I think the outshining has already begun.

To be fair, Bush has a amassed a significant amount at receiving.

But still I agree that Maroney has outshined by running the ball which is what they are. Running Backs.

363839 said:
To be fair, Bush has a amassed a significant amount at receiving.

But still I agree that Maroney has outshined by running the ball which is what they are. Running Backs.

But Maroney still leads Bush in yards per reception.

Something else that not many people want to talk about around the league yet is that we also have the best WR in the draft too.

Wait till we have a healthy CJ and Maroney out there. I promise you, Chad Jackson is going to be every bit as good as advertised.

We have only had a preview of what he is going to be doing for us soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes