Welcome to PatsFans.com

Carter and Williams

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Elijah, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +104 / 9 / -3

#11 Jersey

Who knows anything about our 6th and 7th rounders, Markell Carter and Malcolm Williams? Are they any good? Any potential to make the 53?

2. Picone's Patriots

Picone's Patriots Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i like carter, obviously he played against medicore oponents as he played at a division 2 school but in his highlight video he dominated those teams. Im rooting for him to make the team but obviously training camp and pre-season will show if he has what it takes or not.

3. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 26 / -4

I will go out on a limb. Neither has any chance of making a 53 man roster.

4. Dufflebagz

Dufflebagz 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Carter has a slight chance to make the team.......Williams will have to be the best STer on the team if he wants to make the team.

5. patsox23

patsox23 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

Loved Carter's post-draft P.C. Smart as hell, well-spoken. So if we need, ya know, someone at the mic for a team function, at least we know we're covered there.

6. Brettlax3434

Brettlax3434 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think we can say that at this point. I am sure BB will give Williams every chance to compete for a CB job. Butler has done nothing to justify his early selection. Arrington did a good job for us last season but I wouldn't guarentee his roster spot either.

7. Dufflebagz

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He didn't even play CB/S at TCU, that's his listed position but he never got on the field.

8. Brettlax3434

Brettlax3434 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought he played the slot?

9. Dufflebagz

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

From what I've heard he was a top CB when he was at a Junior College but when he got to TCU he only played ST. If he got on the field as a CB or S I don't think he recorded any stats.

10. sg14

sg14 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agreed on the press conf,, very well spoken

I think both of these guys fit the "pick the best athelete type", ala Dane Fletcher. I say that having never seen them, but isn't that the Pats MO??

And would not bet against these guys given the front office track record.

I don't understand who the Pats draft, but every year there are training camp surprises from lower rounds.

11. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 28 / -48

#50 Jersey

Williams had 14 solo tackles and 7 assisted tackles in 25 games at TCU. Not that tackles mean a lot.

I believe he was primarily a special teams demon. We'll just have to wait and see.

As for Carter, he's a project. He doesn't seem to have a lot of explosion (1.71 10 yard split) but he has good strength based on his vertical (35 1/2") and his Broad Jump (10'01). He also seems to be the prototypical size (6'4 3/9) and weight (252) that we fans have bandied around for the past 6-8 years. One bonus for his is that he's got 34-in. long arms.. So, while he may get cut, I would expect him to be brought back to the practice squad.

12. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +391 / 28 / -48

#50 Jersey

Arrington is a special teams ACE as well as being somewhat capable as a spot starter at CB. He's 3rd on the depth chart at CB. He's not going anywhere.

People who have to worry about their jobs would be Lockett, Barrett, Brown, Slater, Butler and Wilhite. But in all likelihood, Butler, Slater and Wilhite will still be on the team at the end of the day.

Butler, while he took steps backward early on, did make strides toward the end of the season.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  13. Dufflebagz

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I believe that those tackles were all on ST though.

14. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +292 / 1 / -0

Both will have to make it as special teamers, and you can't rule out anybody there.

15. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

Agreed.!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. BaltimorePatsFan

BaltimorePatsFan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Carter seems to have the size/athleticism to play in the NFL, but we won't know whether he can play or not until he gets on the field.

Williams, on the other hand, sounds like he's another Matt Slater and I really don't think the Pats need another guy that can only play ST, especially after Tracy White's pretty good season.

17. Sfpat

Sfpat 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +54 / 2 / -0

#80 Jersey

As I understand, Williams originally signed with Oklahoma (and I believe was highly recruited out of HS) but for whatever reason failed to enroll. He spent two years at a JC before transferring to TCU. There appears to be raw ability that hasn't been developed.

18. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +391 / 28 / -48

#50 Jersey

Tracy White is a UFA. If he re-signs with the Pats, it will be a non-issue. I hope he does because we haven't had a player like him since Larry Izzo.

19. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +391 / 28 / -48

#50 Jersey

Yes. Williams was considered a 4-star College prospect and did sign with Oklahoma after originally committing to Texas A&M. Why he didn't go is something I haven't found out and is not listed on NFLDraftscout.com

Found part of an article on Rivals.com that makes it sound like Oklahoma dropped the ball after Williams committed to them.. but not having the whole article, it's just my speculation.

20. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 26 / -4

ST is about competition just like any other roster spot. First Tracey White could get re-signed. As someone else posted, there are lots of other players competing for special teams only spots: Brown, Lockett, Slater, Barrett and Wilhite. We may continue to keep 2-3 of these players, or not. This year, we might keep 3 QB's, 4-5 RB's plus 4 TE's, squeezing the positions available for special teams only players.

That being said, I expect us to keep two guys like White and Slater. Neither of these two seems likely to overtake all these guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.