PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carroll getting the opportunity to Pump and Jack Up the Bolts???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
From Profootball talk, they are predicting that Pete Carroll is heir apparent to Marty.. Carroll just had won the recruiting sweepstakes.. better do it soon there is a lot to do, assemble a staff, prepare for the draft etc.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Early speculation in some league circles is that the Chargers already have a wink-nod deal in place with USC coach Pete Carroll to succeed Marty Schottenheimer.

Consider the evidence.

After it was announced that Schottenheimer would return to the Chargers, John Czarnecki of FOXSports.com reported that the Chargers would have cut Schottenheimer loose if they could have lined up the guy that they wanted to take his place. Czar didn't name the mystery candidate, but our guess was/is that it is/was Carroll.

Four weeks later, Carroll was able to lock up another class of recruits, who signed their letters of intent on February 7.

Also, remember how Steve Sarkisian abruptly pulled out of the running to coach the Raiders? He said at the time that he wants to be a head coach at the college level, prompting speculation that he'd been given a wink-nod of his own that, if/when Carroll leaves, Sark gets the Trojans' gig.

I love Profootballtalk, but there are some negatives to this story.

First, it presumes that the firing of Marty was pre-planned. If so, would they have gone ahead with appointing co-ordinators? And would Spanos have put out such a weird statement? As I read the statement, Spanos simply lost patience with the inability of Smith and Marty to co-operate. It didn't sound well thought through.

And, secondly, it leaves Smith (and the new co-ordinators) in place. Hasn't Carroll made it clear that he regards his failure to have control over personnel as the reason things didn't work out in New England? Why should he go back to a Bobby Grier-type situation? (Admittedly, Smith has made better picks, but he seems to be even more difficult to work with).

i just hope they dont get daniels in their sights. we have taken enough hits. the last 4 years.:bricks:

If and when (likely when) Pete makes the mistake of leaving USC for the NFL it will be for an owner who is going to give him complete control of football operations. That isn't going to happen in San Diego where the GM just won a bloody 3 year long power struggle with the coach.

ROFL they can have McDaniels!

you dont think daniels is worth keeping? i would like to see bb have some time to make his coaches all one again. let the vultures pick the colts and chargers apart!!!:rocker:

If Petey leaves USC, he is a mo-ron.

The timing does seem somewhat odd.

Pete and Marty are good friends and Pete is so set at USC that I find it hard to believe this will happen.

One of the names I heard that made me laugh out loud was Jim Hazlett. Please let that be true.

I think the coaching well is dried up. They'd have to get a complete steal to find anyone near Marty's level of success. Oh yea, they also have to fill some coordinator jobs too.

If and when (likely when) Pete makes the mistake of leaving USC for the NFL it will be for an owner who is going to give him complete control of football operations. That isn't going to happen in San Diego where the GM just won a bloody 3 year long power struggle with the coach.

Exactly....if he ever leaves (which would be stupid, but predictable) he wants control of personal. he's already failed in the NFL not having control, no use wasting his last chance without it!

I hope it happens. That'll be one less conference rival to worry about next season.

yeah, but maybe spanos is sick and tired of smith too, and the other shoe will drop when/if he hires pete

Dale Arnold brought up an interesting option, Bill Parcells.

Only he really isn't. Bill resigned/retired and is therefore still under contract to the Cowboys. If anyone wanted him, and the circus that follows him - and I'm sure AJ certainly doesn't after just jettisoning Marty after a protracted and contentious battle - they would have to pay draft compensation to Jerry Jones. Same as if anyone wanted Cowher.

I read an article about a year ago that said some in the GM community were getting sick and tired of all the buzz surrounding HC's. They wanted to return to an atmosphere where the GM calls the shots and are recognized as the genius who builds the roster and selects the staff (HC). AJ may be one of those guys.

Nobody ever mentions Mularkey any more, but a young retread like him or a guy like Chow who oddly hasn't gotten much consideration this season given all the changes, would probably be more to AJ's liking. Or perhaps one of the college coaches other than Pete who as first timers would be amenable to working with AJ rather than independent of him or sparring with him.

No way Bill would jump back into the fray this soon, let alone without his own support staff and a good deal of if not complete control.

I love Profootballtalk, but there are some negatives to this story.

First, it presumes that the firing of Marty was pre-planned. If so, would they have gone ahead with appointing co-ordinators? And would Spanos have put out such a weird statement? As I read the statement, Spanos simply lost patience with the inability of Smith and Marty to co-operate. It didn't sound well thought through.

And, secondly, it leaves Smith (and the new co-ordinators) in place. Hasn't Carroll made it clear that he regards his failure to have control over personnel as the reason things didn't work out in New England? Why should he go back to a Bobby Grier-type situation? (Admittedly, Smith has made better picks, but he seems to be even more difficult to work with).

The wheels might be coming off the USC Truck if the NCAA penalizes them for Reggie Bush.

Beyond that the only way firing Marty makes sense is if they already have someone signed, sealed and delivered - otherwise its a completely bonehead move.

Whether its Carroll or not who knows but there's obviously good reasons to make that guess. Aside from not having any assistants (and one assumes Carroll would bring his with him) the team obviously has talent, making it as good a landing spot as any for Caroll or another established coach - again, assuming they can get the assistants they want.

Some people are just meant for the collegiate level (hello Rick Pitino). Carroll is one of those people.

Consider the source, people.

NFW - draft picks involved plus contention with the GM.
Does Dale know ANYTHING about football???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes