PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carriker and a Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
By all accounts, Willis was playing college ball in the 235 range. He put on 7 lbs to get to the 242 range for the Combine. Now, you guys are talking about him putting on another 10 lbs. So, he'd be playing 15-20 lbs heavier than he's ever played at before.

One thing you guys either don't understand or are over-looking is that just because one player is 6'2 and 270 doesn't mean another player can put on that type of weight. It all depends on your bone structure. If Willis doesn't have the bone mass to support the weight, he won't be able to put it on. It doesn't matter if he's the same height as A.D. it just won't happen.

I see there being 2 different positions for ILB for the Patriots. You have the WILB, who is filled by Tedy Bruschi and you have the Run Stuffer, SILB, that was filled by Ted Johnson and then Junior Seau. For the WILB, I think that the Pats are looking for someone in the 6'-6'2 range who weights between 240-255 lbs. Someone who is quick, strong, and has the abilty to play zone coverage. For the SILB position, filled by Johnson, I think that the Pats look for someone who is primarly a run stuffer, but has adequate skills to cover a TE if needed.

When I say he has the frame for it I am not just talking about height I am talking about his current build, and body structure, overall.

Last edited:
I see there being 2 different positions for ILB for the Patriots. You have the WILB, who is filled by Tedy Bruschi and you have the Run Stuffer, SILB, that was filled by Ted Johnson and then Junior Seau. For the WILB, I think that the Pats are looking for someone in the 6'-6'2 range who weights between 240-255 lbs. Someone who is quick, strong, and has the abilty to play zone coverage. For the SILB position, filled by Johnson, I think that the Pats look for someone who is primarly a run stuffer, but has adequate skills to cover a TE if needed.

I agree, players like Willis, Pos., Beason should be able to play the WILB position. In year 1 they sit behind Bruschi and then take over. Bruschi should stay at WILB, he was really exposed at SILB last year.

The SILB is the biggest hole in the roster, any ideas of who would fill this role? Draft, FA or other

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes