PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carolina Panther's Steve Smith can be had for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm well aware of your position on this.. I just wanted to feel smart and important this morning/evening ;).

rofl.gif

You must have missed the PFK thread where I got gang tackled. You could just go there and call me a name, and people will be singing your praises.

BTW, I hope your offseason is going well for you. Interesting times down under as well as here.

Last edited:
yes, smith is good for 4 more years< a rookie is no certainty to work out.

rofl.gif

You must have missed the PFK thread where I got gang tackled. You could just go there and call me a name, and people will be singing your praises.

BTW, I hope your offseason is going well for you. Interesting times down under as well as here.
Might have to have a re-read through that. I went off pfk for a little after his emotional tirade against the Pats post-draft and have flippantly been going through his work. I then relaxed my stance after embarrassing myself post Vancouver loss two where I felt like Thomas came a little far off his line and cost them the game forgetting he was the basic reason the Bruins had played an awesome finals series.

To be fair, this lockout is annoying but for some strange sense the CBA seems like it's going to get done. The cutting point for me is September. Until then, it's nice to at least get back to discussing the Pats opposed to the run around of fill in topics.

If Steve Smith were a bit younger, had a clean bill of health, proved he is a continued leader and the Pats had an entire off season to work with him, I'd be all for supporting his acquisition. As mentioned, he strikes me as one of the rock star receivers that is long in the tooth and has struggled against injuries. At the cost of a third round pick, I don't see too much upside.

If Steve Smith were a bit younger, had a clean bill of health, proved he is a continued leader and the Pats had an entire off season to work with him, I'd be all for supporting his acquisition. As mentioned, he strikes me as one of the rock star receivers that is long in the tooth and has struggled against injuries. At the cost of a third round pick, I don't see too much upside.

You have some good points, no doubt. Then again, if he could push us over the edge in terms of the WR core by offering experience and being able to run deeper routes, a third doesn't seem like too much. Maybe a 4th could get it done?

Personally, I think I am against it. I still think we may have someone in either Tate or Price--but that isn't exactly written in stone either though.

I'm good with either choice, but I don't see Smith at the top of the team's radar.

Lance Moore, Santana Moss, Malcolm Floyd, James Jones--how about Steve Breaston as a possible lesser-name WR who is young and provides speed and upside? I know he did have a knee injury, but I am sure they'd do their due stealthly checking up on him.

Found this list of FA wideouts, FWIW--

2011 NFL Free Agents: WR

Yeah, no thanks!

Too old, and his drop in production might not just have been because of s**t quarterbacks!

we have a better chance w/ Ocho Cinco:rofl:

we do NOT need old talent who gets cut?

Hells yes get Smith in here for a 3rd. For those who say that the Pats need a downfield threat like a Sidney Rice... Just an FYI, Smith has averaged in his career (minus the year he played only one game) 2 yards per reception more than Rice.

Yeah I know, I would love to have Rice too but I think the reality of it is that the Pats are in a better position to get Smith. Smith has had his share of problems and I do think that his drop in production has to be attributed to shyte QB's. He is one of the toughest WR's out there and he fights for the ball whenever it is around him.

SS is a flat out baller that makes plays on the field and I am sure that if the Pats brought him in he would be under the same type of 'character' deal that Moss and Dillon were under. I think SS is a fierce competitor who wants to win badly, his career is coming to a close, and IMO if he has the chance to be on a winner he will tow the line to get a ring.

He's a leader and a playmaker on the field and if people think that there aren't 'bad character' guys on the Pats right now I think that you are wearing your Pats shades too tight. He'd come in an instantly be one of if not the best WR on the team.

Hells yes get Smith in here for a 3rd. For those who say that the Pats need a downfield threat like a Sidney Rice... Just an FYI, Smith has averaged in his career (minus the year he played only one game) 2 yards per reception more than Rice.

Yeah I know, I would love to have Rice too but I think the reality of it is that the Pats are in a better position to get Smith. Smith has had his share of problems and I do think that his drop in production has to be attributed to shyte QB's. He is one of the toughest WR's out there and he fights for the ball whenever it is around him.

SS is a flat out baller that makes plays on the field and I am sure that if the Pats brought him in he would be under the same type of 'character' deal that Moss and Dillon were under. I think SS is a fierce competitor who wants to win badly, his career is coming to a close, and IMO if he has the chance to be on a winner he will tow the line to get a ring.

He's a leader and a playmaker on the field and if people think that there aren't 'bad character' guys on the Pats right now I think that you are wearing your Pats shades too tight. He'd come in an instantly be one of if not the best WR on the team.
Out of curiosity if you throw a jump ball to a 5'9 receiver or a 6'4 receiver against a 5'11 corner who would you back in to win the contest?

Problem is, when he gets mad, which is often, he has a tendency to break people's jaws. Which could be disruptive and also lead another player to be out for a while recovering. Suppose he disagrees with brady on who was at fault on a blown pass and busts his jaw? Then what do we do? You have to think about the whole package, not just "he was a neat WR a few years ago".

I still can't get that image of Smith on the sidelines with Mohammad from SB 38 out of my mind. He is a punk, very good WR, in his day, but he is old, hurt, slower, and still a punk, no thanks. Didn't he once break beat a teamate pretty bad in training camp?

Last edited:
Steve Smith's character issues worry me. He's a talented WR but he's also about to start to decline if he hasn't already. Rather go after Sidney Rice or Vincent Jackson in free agency. All you give up is cash, no picks.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity if you throw a jump ball to a 5'9 receiver or a 6'4 receiver against a 5'11 corner who would you back in to win the contest?

Obviously the 6'4 receiver. Unless the 5'9 guy is Steve Smith.

I loved the way Smith used to attack the ball in the air. There was nothing like it, he had such a gift. No one was tougher or meaner. The Steve Smith of 2008 could definitely help this team, and he was one of my favorite players to watch. But that was a long time ago in football years.

He obviously has a bad attitude, but shows as much want-to on the field as anybody. I don't think there's all that much his skillset can add to this team, but if we wound up getting him for a fourth or lower, I could see myself getting excited about it. I'd rather see us devote our resources elsewhere, though.

no..enough with the small WRs..get someone in here who can go up and grab one in the endzone

I would give up a 3rd for smith in a heartbeat, as long as the contract works out right. A Pro Bowl quality WR who can stretch the field for that price is well worth it. I do agree however that they need to make sure he would fit in with the Patriots but don't see his age as any issue because they would only be looking at him for the next couple of years. If he wants a long term big contract i would pass.

Deoin Branch - 5'9/195
Julian Edelman - 5'10/198
Taylor Price - 6'0/205
Brandon Tate - 6'1/195
Wes Welker - 5'9/185

Steve Smith - 5'9/185
Sidney Rice - 6'4/202

Unless the Pats plan on sending the TE's on go routes every snap there's no reliable/obvious deep or vertical receiving threat for Brady to hoist one down field. I'm rather high on the collection of tight ends and their particular skill sets given their big play potential. That written, I'd prefer a more complete roster that covers all aspects of offensive players rather than precision passing and the dink and dunk offense types the Pats currently possess. Regular season success is nice but it's been a while since the Pats drank from the cup of post-season achievement.

Rice provides that dynamic downfield threat that none of the Patriots receivers have shown an aptitude for and frankly, the Vikings as an organization looks ready to blow up.

Who was our deep threats on those super bowl teams again. My memory says David Patten and Dieon Branch. Not exactly huge physical recievers. The difference between those offenses and the one the past few years has been the running game. Say what you will about Antwan Smith but come playoff times he would miraculously turn into a different rb. You don't need an amazing wr when safety's bite on the play action. Our play action has been a joke the last few years.

Fortunately I think that's all about to change.:cool:

Lance Moore, Santana Moss, Malcolm Floyd, James Jones--how about Steve Breaston as a possible lesser-name WR who is young and provides speed and upside? I know he did have a knee injury, but I am sure they'd do their due stealthly checking up on him.

Found this list of FA wideouts, FWIW--

2011 NFL Free Agents: WR

Lance Moore is a guy I could see us having interest in. Relatively young at 27, solid production for the last few years, looks to be a Pats type wr (quick, solid routes) and comes from a well run Saints organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back