PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carolina might be a possible trade partner

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I believe that the Pats have Dorsey and Ellis rated highly for the physical attributes, I won't pretend to know where they have them rated on the intangibles. What I do have to wonder is where both of these VERY SHORT D-linemen would fit in the Pats scheme. They aren't tall enough for DE and they aren't heavy enough for NT.

Currently on our roster is DL Smith (6'1" maybe) and he has actually looked BETTER at DE than at NT for us.

A short DE can make it on our defense if they are quick, strong in the upper body and play with good leverage. Where a shorter player would struggle is if they have short arms, because if an OT gets his hands on a shorter defender it is usually a win for the OT, unless the defender is quick, strong in the upper body and plays with exceptional leverage.

Quick, strong in the upper body and plays with exceptional leverage is a description of Ellis, more or less. Even Dorsey to a lesser extent.

If Ryan is there at #7, I think we'll trade down to #8. While Baltimore also needs a LT I think they would trade up for Ryan, worried someone else will trade with us. It wouldn't be a great deal like when the Browns gave up a #2 to move up one spot a couple of years ago but I could see a flip flop of #1s and #2s or something like that.

First I like that trade, as far as getting into the second round with multiple picks, but that takes us completely out of the first round, and I dont think BB is going to do that.

He traded last years picks to get more picks this year. And CLEARLY the draft is ALOT deeper in 08 than it was in 07. I think BB Saw this draft coming. And did what he did because he likes what is available here.

NOW...

Theres sooo many possible trade partners!

Lets Realistically Say Ryan and Ellis are available at 7, and Baltimore(8) wants Ryan, Cincy(9) Wants Ellis?...whats to say we dont play teams against eachother. We are on the clock at 7...We call Carolina, they offer to swap firsts and cough up a third. We call baltimore and tell em...Carolina is gonna take matt...

So we move to 8th, and Ellis is on the Board. The saints Call..they want ellis...heres a third rounder with a pick swap in the first...We Call cincy...ect...

It sounds flawless on paper...but i believe BB will trade down until hes sitting somewhere in the 15 - 25 Range, and he will have picked up a couple mid 2 - mid 3rd round picks in the process....

There is some GREAT value there...

I would love to see those first two trades, and move to Cincy's pick. Pick Rivers and gains some additional picks as well, for this deep draft.

Currently on our roster is DL Smith (6'1" maybe) and he has actually looked BETTER at DE than at NT for us.

A short DE can make it on our defense if they are quick, strong in the upper body and play with good leverage. Where a shorter player would struggle is if they have short arms, because if an OT gets his hands on a shorter defender it is usually a win for the OT, unless the defender is quick, strong in the upper body and plays with exceptional leverage.

Quick, strong in the upper body and plays with exceptional leverage is a description of Ellis, more or less. Even Dorsey to a lesser extent.

Just as an FYI. I checked with Frank Cooney from NFLDraftScout.com. He has access to the combine data and LeKevin Smith is NOT 6'1. He is 6'2 7/8" tall. That is what Smith measured at the 2006 Combine. So, the Pats website is incorrect as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back