PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carlos Rogers Worth 3rd maybe 4th rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

He's an interesting player, and I believe BB liked him a lot coming out of college but he rose spectacularly in the postseason and went #9 to the Redskins. He's been a reasonable pro from what I've been able to see.

Depends a bit on what's available in FA, but I'd definitely be interested, especially for a 4th. Maybe a 4th and a conditional 2010 pick (7th -> 4th depending no performance). A 3rd would be more questionable, as there will be first day talent available in the 3rd round this year due to the depth in this draft.

We may be able to sign Dunta Robinson, Jabari Greer, Kelvin Hayden or Bryant McFadden as UFAs without having to give up anything. Richard Marshall is an RFA this year and a UFA next year, and with Carolina having signed Gamble to a big contract he may be available. So there are a lot of options. But I'd definitely give it a look.

i just hope we dont see another duane starks....

We may be able to sign Dunta Robinson, Jabari Greer, Kelvin Hayden or Bryant McFadden as UFAs without having to give up anything. Richard Marshall is an RFA this year and a UFA next year, and with Carolina having signed Gamble to a big contract he may be available. So there are a lot of options. But I'd definitely give it a look.

Robinson, when healthy has impressed me. He covers very well and is not afraid to support against the run.

I'd be all for a Rogers trade under the right circumstances. He has only one year left on his rookie deal, so I wouldn't give up a 3rd without getting him to agree to an extension first. Would I give up a late 4th for one year (albeit an extra motivated contract year) of Carlos Rogers? I lean towards no, but I certainly would give up a 5th.

Rogers is scheduled to make $602,500 next season, so the Patriots could attempt to sign him to a contract extension. Maybe he can be signed much cheaper than a Robinson or Hayden because he's still got that one year left on his rookie deal. Would he give up free agency to get a signing bonus and a deal averaging 4-5 million a year in order to avoid playing for "just" $602,500 next year? That is where the value comes from when making a deal for an RFA or a player in the last year of his contract. Usually you are getting that player for below free agent market value. I'd give up a 3rd round pick if the Patriots could sign Rogers to a below market value for a good CB.

If the Patriots were able to get Rogers for a 3rd, they could then start Rogers/Hobbs and Wheatley/Wilhite could attempt to knock Hobbs down to nickel back duty.

Chris McAllister is expected to be cut by the Ravens, he's definately worth a look. The Ravens think they already have his replacment in a young, cheaper Frank Walker. McAllister would step right in if healthy and challenge Ellis and eventually replace him in 010, while Wheats grabs the other island and Wilhite the nickel. Plus coming off an injury, his price tag might not be all that high.

Last edited:
I love how folks are looking to spend money like congressmen on "names" while the Pats are expected to be tighter against the Salary Cap than most teams at the start of Free Agency. The two rookie CBs flashed enough promise this season to think they could one day be at least as good as Hobbs (you Hobbs haters can spank yourselves silly, but he's not going back to nickel this season). NE needs another corner, and while I expect them to bring in a couple low cost, end of their career guys to add some veteran knowledge in Training Camp, the cheapest and most effective long term answer is the draft. On the flip side CB has to compete with S, ILB, and reserve NT, reserve interior OL, and reserve DE with those Day One picks.

I love how folks are looking to spend money like congressmen on "names" while the Pats are expected to be tighter against the Salary Cap than most teams at the start of Free Agency. The two rookie CBs flashed enough promise this season to think they could one day be at least as good as Hobbs (you Hobbs haters can spank yourselves silly, but he's not going back to nickel this season). NE needs another corner, and while I expect them to bring in a couple low cost, end of their career guys to add some veteran knowledge in Training Camp, the cheapest and most effective long term answer is the draft. On the flip side CB has to compete with S, ILB, and reserve NT, reserve interior OL, and reserve DE with those Day One picks.

I don't think Jabari Greer, Kelvin Hayden or Bryant McFadden are "names" to get big money in FA. I think they are viable mid-range CB options who would fit into the Pats' system, be a big upgrade from Deltha O'Neal, provide additional veteran leadership at CB given the young blood we have, and provide security if Hobbs leaves after 2009. Signing a veteran would also still allow us to sign a day 2 CB as insurance against Hobbs leaving and as an upgrade from our current 5th CB slot, without competing against our other day 1 needs.

Not saying it's going to happen, just that it's a reasonable consideration.

I'm personally NOT in favor of running after every flashy big name/possibly over the hill CB option. I don't see McAllister being a good option for us.

I don't think Jabari Greer, Kelvin Hayden or Bryant McFadden are "names" to get big money in FA. I think they are viable mid-range CB options who would fit into the Pats' system, be a big upgrade from Deltha O'Neal, provide additional veteran leadership at CB given the young blood we have, and provide security if Hobbs leaves after 2009. Signing a veteran would also still allow us to sign a day 2 CB as insurance against Hobbs leaving and as an upgrade from our current 5th CB slot, without competing against our other day 1 needs.

Not saying it's going to happen, just that it's a reasonable consideration.

I'm personally NOT in favor of running after every flashy big name/possibly over the hill CB option. I don't see McAllister being a good option for us.
Greer is the only one of that bunch whom I like for NE and in a CB needy league he's still going to garner more interest than NE can afford to compete with. O'Neal served his purpose, if Wheatley hadn't been hurt Delta wouldn't even have exceeded his shelf life, he's not a concern for me because he's not likely to be coming back.

I think at the Redskins are trying to get rid of Rogers for a reason. Why pay a draft pick to take on some other team's castoff? I'd rather pay the money for a free agent. The only CB I could see giving up a draft pick for would be Asomugha.

Your money concerns are valid but I think there is room for one or two names though I am not sure Rogers who is under contract would fall into the money concerns aspect of your argument. IMO the deal with the secondary is that we have a lot of young talent back there in Wheatly, Whilhite, Merriweather, and Hobbs so I think a Vet or two (perferably one Vet CB and one Safety) would be more important to the secondary. A name like Asmougha is pie in the sky and likely Dunta Robinson is too but past the top 2 or 3 guys on the market we definitely have enough cash to get them. Don't forget that persumably will be tight with cap space but that factors in Cassel who at some point likely would come off the books so while it can't be used right away it is there and you could consider that the money to sign the Rooks or you could save that as the cap room to lock up some of our own guys.

As far as Rodgers one would have to be real concerned about those Knees (or is one in Knee in particular).

Last edited:

The posters who disagree with you are forgetting what has happened

the past few years. The Pats have signed discarded defensive backs

to one year contracts at minimum salary. Randall Gay's salary of 3-4

milion per year was too rich for them. The last time they took a shot at

a decent cornerback was Deshea Townsend a couple of years ago.

I think the Pats thought they had an agreement with him but Deshea

used them to get a better contract from Pittsburg his old team.

Lito from phily is probably going to be available for a 3rd or 4th rounder, id go with Lito personally.

Lito from phily is probably going to be available for a 3rd or 4th rounder, id go with Lito personally.

Lito would be a nice alternative we have plenty of picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes