PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carlos Dunlap

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Brit who doesn't watch college football, I can't really offer my own opinions on players - all I can do is read what others say, both forum posters on here and 'professional' evaluators on other sites.

I read these two forceful comdemnations of Carlos Dunlop - can anyone who has seen him regularly comment?

I read that. No heart means undraftable. Forget him is my opinion.

You shouldn't have to "light a fire" under someone's bum to get them to play.

Here's a brand new draft profile on Carlos Dunlap from The Huddle Report:

Carlos Dunlap DE Florida

TALENT BOARD
- Round 1

STRENGTHS

Carlos is the quintessential size-speed ratio defensive end that the NFL loves. He has excellent strength and is great defending against the run. Carlos is very smart and understands his role in the defensive scheme that his college team runs. He understands situational football and looks to be very coachable. He shows leadership skills through his play on the field and is willing to do the grunt work that allows other teammates to make plays. Carlos has speed like a linebacker to chase plays down from behind. I believe that Carlos, after he works out, will show athletic skills better than some of the linebackers in this draft. Carlos has those long legs and arms that could make him a pass rushing nightmare at the next level. He has excellent upper body strength and when moved inside on some pass rushing downs, handles a double team as good as any defensive tackle at the college level. He looks on film to be a strong teammate and gives good effort on every play. This kid has top ten talent to be a complete strong side defensive end who is as good against the run as he will be as a pass rusher. It's just that simple.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

We all know about Carlos being suspended for a game this season. All I can say is this kid (in his play on the field) shows no questionable character issues. If there are no other problems that surface, I suggest that drafting Carlos would not be any more of a chance than most other players in this draft. We all know that in most cases, where there is smoke, there is fire. However, let's not forget...smoke can be smothered and extinguished before the fire can get started if someone is quick to act. Maybe that is what happened in this case. Carlos does need to develop better pass rushing techniques to free himself up. He lacks a quick twitch burst off the line, but uses his strength and long strides to compensate and get into the backfield and impact. He will need to learn to use his hands better when rushing the passer, but this should not be a problem.

BOTTOM LINE

I am a big character issue person when it comes to profiling players. I look for traces on the field of possible character issues by including in my profiles a player's lack of effort on every down, a noticeable lack of improvement from year to year in techniques and whether or not a player continues to give effort when their team is under adverse situations. I look to see if a player has graduated early because, to me, that shows a possible good work ethic. That's not all I use to help me give you a profile of a player. I look the body language of a player and interaction with coaches and teammates on the sidelines and how a player reacts to hard coaching after a bad play. Using these things to help me profile a player is not fool-proof by any means. That being said, I just don't see character issues in this kid's play on the field and can only come to the conclusion that off the field, he may have problems that will have to be evaluated and left to the personal evaluation of others. I trust what I see on the field and I just think this kid is going to be a big time impact player as a strong side defensive end in a 4-3 defense or a 3-4 defensive lineman. As soon as he learns to use his hands better when he rushes the passer, he is going to be a nightmare to handle. With the information I have, I would have no concerns in drafting this kid at any point of the first round of this draft. I call him Carlos (Smoke) Dunlap because where there is smoke, there's fire and on the field, this kid is smoking most opponents with his speed and skill!

Drew Boylhart 1/10

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ppSD/protected/2010DRAFT/PlayerProfiles/Carlos.Dunlap.htm

I don't think Dunlap projects well to 3-4 DE, but I think as a strongside 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB/elephant in the Willie McGinest role he's as good a prospect as there has been in a long, long, time.

I don't think Dunlap projects well to 3-4 DE, but I think as a strongside 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB/elephant in the Willie McGinest role he's as good a prospect as there has been in a long, long, time.

I agree 100%. I wonder why the reviewer did not mention Carlos disappearing for long stretches of the game.

I just don't think Dunlap can play outside linebacker. All this talk of his speed and agility is bewildering to me. I just don't see it. He looks slow and lumbersome on film for a supposed athletic freak. He gives up on plays and doesn't chase down ball carriers/runners. Compare the way he plays with some of the plays Mike Wright made this year. Wright is a non stop hustle player, catching and tackling runners 10 yards downfield because he doesn't give up. I don't want any part of Dunlap.

I just don't think Dunlap can play outside linebacker. All this talk of his speed and agility is bewildering to me. I just don't see it. He looks slow and lumbersome on film for a supposed athletic freak. He gives up on plays and doesn't chase down ball carriers/runners. Compare the way he plays with some of the plays Mike Wright made this year. Wright is a non stop hustle player, catching and tackling runners 10 yards downfield because he doesn't give up. I don't want any part of Dunlap.

I have to say, I haven't seen that in the games that I've watched Dunlap, and I've specifically looked for it given his reputation. Maybe I've just missed those games, but I was surprised given his reputation how Dunlap consistent gave effort on every play, chansed down ball carriers from across the field, and by the fluidity and agility showed for a guy his size. Again, maybe we saw different film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back