PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carfardo's Sunday column...why does he do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailgater

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I understand Borges bile, but what has BB ever done to Cafardo? Is it because of Drew, Ty & Lawyer?

"Jets players have been commenting on how organized and dynamic Mangini is with his teaching. He's not the motivator Herm Edwards is, but Mangini took a lot from Crennel's practice and camp routine".

"Mangini likes the idea of moving his defensive linemen around, much the way he did in New England".

I guess the Patriots will now collapse with only Belichick left, losing a genius like Mangini.

There are some in the media with egos so big that it is more about them then what they are suppose to be doing..like reporting about the team. And since the have a GRUDGE against the team..because they have to actually work to get information and stories, they choose to quietly trash the team they are covering..in larger and smaller ways. They basically do NOT GET IT!! Typical Cafardo garbage!!! A few years ago, he was a better reporter..now..following in Borges's putrid steps.

Meanwhile, in the same issue of the Boston Globe/Red Sox Investment Club, Dan Shaughnessy maintains that Boston is still a "baseball town", and portrays the typical Pats fan as a 30-50 year old male with a beer gut.

Hey, I resemble that remark! :D

I hate being a stereotype...:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I sort of thought Mangini sucked hard as our coordinator last year - at least for the first half of the season. It'd be easy to blame everything on a Starks & the bad secondary, but Mangina's scheme calling was horribly weak. It wasn't until we played aggressively that things started to come together.

Obviously personell helps, gaining Bruschi and Hobbs, moving Vrabel inside and losing Beisel and Brown, but the fact was, Mangini had our D playing afraid most of the year. When he finally let them loose and stopped worrying about the secondary, we suddenly had one of the best Ds in the league.

tailgater said:
I understand Borges bile, but what has BB ever done to Cafardo? Is it because of Drew, Ty & Lawyer?

"Jets players have been commenting on how organized and dynamic Mangini is with his teaching. He's not the motivator Herm Edwards is, but Mangini took a lot from Crennel's practice and camp routine".

"Mangini likes the idea of moving his defensive linemen around, much the way he did in New England".

I guess the Patriots will now collapse with only Belichick left, losing a genius like Mangini.

I've always felt like Carfardo was a Mangini jock sniff anyway. He's been trumpeting his arrival NY as if someone took some of Lombardi's DNA, let it ferment in a petri dish and bam! instant HOF coach.

Last edited:
It's funny because the reports from NE were that Mangini was anything but dynamic - to the point that he didn't have control of the defensive room and needed Belichick to help with that. I doubt he's suddenly a dynamic, charismatic leader of the whole team.

Nick is essentially a baseball guy, an aging version of the curly haired cherub toting Felgers water at the Herald, who was tapped as Wrong Borges backup after Will retired and in transition when Holley and Smith hit the fast track off of Morrisey Blvd. and before Jerome was flown in from Houston.

Nick is a schmuck and a sucker for a sob story. He resents the way certain people get treated by this organization (including the media in general and his cubicle mate Borges in particular). He has no access in Foxboro so he cultivated access by championing the downtrodden like Drew, Ty, Poston...if you have left this organization, battled it valiently within the division or butted heads with it on any level, Nick's software automatically adds your home, office and cell phone numbers to his rolodex and you become one of his valued sources. The fact that you no longer have anything to so with the (multi-championship) team his town is left to grapple with matters naught - because what Nick wants from you is any information or impressions you can share with a sympathetic guy like you who was also just trying to do his job and who is now determined to get the word out that this dynastic juggernaut (along with some big jerks in the NFL and NFLPA) pays little attention to the most important aspect of sports - hugging it's players, their agents, former staff employees, incompetent ownerships and the media.

When I read Nick's Sunday Notes column, even moreso than when Borges pens it, I keep the kleenex box handy to dab the tears generated after I stick hot pokers in my eyes as pennance for even bothering to read this tripe.

Or this little tidbit :

"Mangini likes the idea of moving his defensive linemen around, much the way he did in New England."

It's a little misleading to give Mangini credit for something that's happened for years when he was DC for just one year.

Last edited:
Did anyone read Cafardos book about the 2001 season? It made me really question the guys talent as a writer. It read like something a 6th grader would write. Of course, it wasnt as bad a Pete Sheppard essay, but it was close.

my lasting impression of Eric Mangini will always be Belichick yelling at him after the Eagles scored that last TD in SB 39. haha

Most sports writers by nature are wanna-be's. They never made the team in high school but didn't mind buddying up to the star quarterback as sycophants in order to have some the limelight rub off on them. They themselves were unnoticeable otherwise.

Guys like Borges, Felger and Cafardo, now having achieved the status as the GRAND POO BA"S of sycophancy, are a little upset.

With the Pats, they don't have access to players as they feel they should. They can't buddy up to them. They can't latch onto them like Remora on a shark and feedoff of their scraps of noteriety. The won't become godparents to their kids as they had always dreamed. They won't be able to get some career-making tidbit of inside info that will have their peers both fawning over their accomplishment and secretly despising them for getting the access that they all so desire.

Belichick recognized a long time ago that eliminating distraction and keeping all strategic team info locked up tight were small but very important keys to success. Rest assured that his players appreciate not only that attention to detail and planning, but also that they are not subjected to having their personal spaces invaded by these leeches.

Also, I concur with a previous post that a big part of this is a "Boston Globe Thing".

To me there is no bigger conflict of interest in having a pro sports team owned by a newspaper.

With the football and baseball seasons inter-twining for 3 to 4 months (including training camp), the Globe has a vested interest in concentrating on their investment. Not just by increased coverage of the Red Sox, but trying to diminish and damage the image of the Patriots.

One more thing I want to get off my chest.

Boston has not ALWAYS been a baseball town. During the late 50's and early 60's, as well as not so far back as the early 90's, the smallest ballpark in baseball was not sold out every game. Not even close.

The phenomenon was never the loyalty of Red Sox Nation, but rather the fight to overcome the inadequacy and low esteem generated by the one-sided NY-Boston baseball rivalry.

At least with the Pats, we as fans can look and say our team has few peers.

PromisedLand said:
Meanwhile, in the same issue of the Boston Globe/Red Sox Investment Club, Dan Shaughnessy maintains that Boston is still a "baseball town", and portrays the typical Pats fan as a 30-50 year old male with a beer gut.

I was offended by that at first, but then I remembered that I am 27! :D

mgcolby said:
I was offended by that at first, but then I remembered that I am 27! :D

38 years-old with a 40 inch waist created by the folks at Anheuser-Busch.

Guilty as charged.

Then there is his repeated use of 'comebacking'.
Am I missing something? When did that become a word?

MOlewisrocks:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Funny how all the Pats players seemed to think that Mangini was getting in way over his head by going to Jets, with Willie saying so pretty much straight out to the media.

Funny how all the Pats players seemed to think that Dean Pees is going to be a more aggressive, effective coach to work with.

Funny how Nick Carfado has discovered the great secret to all our success, Eric Mangini.......

Before that it was Drew Bledsoe......

I must continue to repeat the mantra of many posters

"All players or coaches who chose to leave are washed up, and nowhere near the contributer to the patriots that we thought they were before they left. They all will fail because they no longer have talent; it is the rest of the patriots that made them great"

Having said that, I don't think that Eric Mangini is ready to be head coach. He was just learning to be a defensive coordinator" I do think he did a fine job last year, for a first year coordinator.

mgteich said:
"All players or coaches who chose to leave are washed up, and nowhere near the contributer to the patriots that we thought they were before they left. They all will fail because they no longer have talent; it is the rest of the patriots that made them great"
Personally I get tired of hearing people say this. We have all made our feelings known that we would like players like Vinatraitor and Givens back. And we miss Crennel and Weis. But it is what it is and by all accounts, Mangini struggled to take command of the defense last year.

mgteich said:

All? Jeez, man, find a post with just one who said that.

Most of the disagreement is not so much what they did, but what they are capapble of in the future. I have not seen one single poster, for example, claim that WMG was not a great contributor, or that the rest of the Patriots made him great.

THe only disagreement I have seen regarding Willie is if he is worth the $8 mil he would have made this coming year. Same with other great players who left. Woody? He was super. Was he worth the money Detroit gave him. In my mind, no. So I guess that means that I think all players and coaches who left NE never did anything for us, eh?

I do not recall you ever posting that Mangini would be a first-rate DC, or that he was a genius last year. SO why are you so down because some people think the Pats will survive without him.

It is one thing to say the Pats will be fine without Mangini. THat is what most posters are saying. It is quite another to say what you did in the post above.

I for one appreciate your input when you choose to provide it. You have a great insight into players, teams, and stategies. You are, however, totally off the mark when you make up crap about what everyone else is thinking.

mgteich said:

Having said that, I don't think that Eric Mangini is ready to be head coach. He was just learning to be a defensive coordinator" I do think he did a fine job last year, for a first year coordinator.

"For a first year coordinator" is a pretty important note. Who cares if a guy did a good job for a "first year" guy - they either did a good job or not. Belichick certainly doesn't care how long they've been doing the job. And the fact is, I think Mangini did a poor job, and apparently a lot of players on the team were upset with how passive he had them playing for the first half of the season (from Felger, take with grain of salt).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back