PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cardinals shopping WR Michael Floyd for a pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you say Amendola is a starter on this Team? I like Danny as much as anyone, but if LaFell and JE were healthy last year, Danny would not have starts on his stat sheet in 2015.Is that a fair statement?
DW Toys
No. Of the 3 games that all 3 of those guys were active (NYJ, MIA, WAS), DA started all 3 while LaFell started only 1 of the 3. That's if we're considering 'starts' a meaningful stat in the NFL offensive players for anything other than QBs, which it's not. Michael Williams 'started' 9 games. He sucks.

Fair retort but honestly answer this. The last quarter of the AFC Championship game, do you want Keeshan Martin.....that is Keeshan Matin on that last ditch drive for cryin out tears!!! and a very ineffective LaFell who demanded single coverage...... or Floyd? Answer honestly. Floyd and Gronk with JE underneath would maybe have been the difference.
We will never know if Floyd was even brought up. Maybe the Cards do see someone they want to move up for like a rumored QB (see Jimmy G we sought here) like a Cook, Prescott or Hackenburhg to back up Palmer as suggested and they need a #2 to get there. So now the curtain is pulled back on Floyd.
DW Toys
Well I'd rather have Floyd, I said I think he's good but he's already the 10th highest cap # for a WR and I don't think that his salary works at this point. Plus they'd have to pay him a likely monstrous amount of money to lower the cap - compare Floyd to Sanu and what kind of money do you think Floyd is looking for? I think he's good, but no I don't think they should trade for him and then pay him like he's Julio Jones or Dez Bryant.

The 2nd rd cap slot # at NE's first pick is $727k, not sure where your $3m is coming from.

This makes me wonder why we didnt approach this when we traded Jones.

Id much rather trade for Jamal Charles
However Floyd can ball but I wouldnt want a 1 year rental.
However I dont trust us to draft a receiver better than Floyd.

Just because Amendola's skill-set overlaps with Edelman's doesn't make him a backup. The two share far too many reps together to make such a claim. If you want to say he's replaceable? Ok, sure. But that's not a backup.
I really like what we have. I really like Martin as a 3rd or 4th option, I think he's gonna have a good year if he stays healthy. And you have to give Hogan time to get in sync w/Brady, so he may not be up to speed until the 2nd half of the season (especially if Brady misses the first 4 games). I think if anything, the Pats draft a project receiver. Can't see them using large cap space on a receiver via trade.

Maybe if they didn't just sign Hogan.

Also, not sure I understand where you're getting this "Tom doesn't have impact players now" notion. Tom is throwing to the greatest TE of all time, another top 5 TE, one of the best all-around WR in the league, and a solid supporting cast in Amendola/Hogan/Lewis.

There are just too many other areas to commit $$ when the receiving core is already set.

Hit that receiving corps with a couple of injuries like in 2012, 2013, and 2015. Not so set anymore. Edelman, Amendola, and Gronk have all had injury histories and Edelman is coming off of a really tricky foot injury. I wouldn't say the receiving corps is already set. Especially since I think this will be Dobson's swan song. That said, the move doesn't necessarily have to be for Floyd. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats invested a draft pick in the position.

You're playing both sides here. Are you advocating an extension for Floyd or not? If he's a one year rental, then that sounds like awful value for a second round pick. If he's getting an extension, then Cannon's $3.4 million is pretty close to irrelevant when we're talking about how to pay for (hypothetically) a $40 million extension.
Sciz, You are right. Sign and extend please.
DW Toys

However I dont trust us to draft a receiver better than Floyd.[/QUOTE]BINGO.....WE HAVE BINGO!!! Is there anybody on this forum that thinks that the Pats can Draft a WR?
Nyet!
Floyd and a resign for 4 which might be the TB swan song.
DW Toys

Same here, when i was driving home from work listening to sports hub and said breaking news and said chandler was traded to arz first guy i thought was we got floyd. Both have 1 year left on deals

Watch out for draft day trade with charles could def happen, not saying with us but he could be traded

Cousins,
I am depressed about this Brady crap and yes the under/over on how much he wins in a defamation suit will hit the roof. I want to see the blood of the other 31 to pay for this. How? Impact players right now never mind this development bull doodoo! for a player ripening few years from now. Tom does not have those. Push the chips into the center of the table.

I hope Bill picks up on this. The Cards are rumored to be shopping WR Michael Floyd for a pick. Have #61 back Bruce and let's get this done. Whether it is Tom or Jimmy G, Michael Floyd makes the Pats better.......NOW......, not three years from now which is about the term a Draft pick blossoms.

Knowing we are going to search for a WR in this Draft and knowing the Pats are maybe one of the worse Teams in the NFL to Draft WRS, is there seriously anybody on this forum who would not do this? We know Bill is more adept at trading for a WR. He is 27 years old and had 5 100 yard games last year.

Could Michael Floyd be trade bait for a draft day move?

DW Toys

I'm on board Toys...Offense been looking for a WR of Floyd's caliber for quite sometime...I say why not.

Floyd and a resign for 4 which might be the TB swan song.
DW Toys
And how much do you think that would be? Floyd agrees to team-friendly deal for a new team to play with Tom Brady thereby forgoing his opportunity (in all likelihood his ONLY opportunity) to hit UFA in a market that just went through the roof for inferior players?

Again, I like the player, this is a type of scenario under which I would be ok with them outright cutting Amendola (not sure if Amendola + Cannon is enough of an offset off the top of my head) if that was the sticking point needed to make the room, but I don't see the logic behind Floyd agreeing to a deal right off the bat given his situation. That's besides there being some other holes to fill on the team that the 2nd rd pick would be very useful for.

You're playing both sides here. Are you advocating an extension for Floyd or not? If he's a one year rental, then that sounds like awful value for a second round pick. If he's getting an extension, then Cannon's $3.4 million is pretty close to irrelevant when we're talking about how to pay for (hypothetically) a $40 million extension.

I think the Patriots have done quite well with one year Rentals and would be SHOCKED if the Patriots didn't pursue Floyd. Very rarely does a Rookie WR come in an set the World on Fire and that's definitely not happening in this Offense. I cannot see us going wrong with Floyd considering our horrific percentage at developing young WR's.

Careful. Floyd is 6'3" tall, has speed, and is not a slot WR. This might scare a lot of patsfans who only believe Brady's "system" can succeed with short slot Wrs

Hit that receiving corps with a couple of injuries like in 2012, 2013, and 2015. Not so set anymore. Edelman, Amendola, and Gronk have all had injury histories and Edelman is coming off of a really tricky foot injury. I wouldn't say the receiving corps is already set. Especially since I think this will be Dobson's swan song. That said, the move doesn't necessarily have to be for Floyd. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats invested a draft pick in the position.

I hear you, but I think BB has done enough to mitigate the exposure if some of the key guys go down (Bennett fills in for Gronk; Amendola fills in for Edelman; Hogan fills in for the ghost Dobson; White fills in for Lewis). Also, it's very unlikely we see the absurd amount of injuries from last year going forward. In 2012 and 2013 it was really just Gronk with no competent backups. Since then, I think BB has constructed a solid mitigation plan. I would welcome a WR pick; I just don't think we need to go out and spend $6+M on one.

Also, I purposely used "core" instead of "corps" given that the core offensive contributors/receivers are mostly from non-WR ;)

Careful. Floyd is 6'3" tall, has speed, and is not a slot WR. This might scare a lot of patsfans who only believe Brady's "system" can succeed with short slot Wrs

I don't think any pats fan has ever really said that. I think most people understand that this offense is run mostly through short to intermediate routes (i.e. Large TEs and quick WRs are the focal points) so they don't see the need in investing big $ in a "deep threat."

I hear you, but I think BB has done enough to mitigate the exposure if some of the key guys go down (Bennett fills in for Gronk; Amendola fills in for Edelman; Hogan fills in for the ghost Dobson; White fills in for Lewis). Also, it's very unlikely we see the absurd amount of injuries from last year going forward. In 2012 and 2013 it was really just Gronk with no competent backups. Since then, I think BB has constructed a solid mitigation plan. I would welcome a WR pick; I just don't think we need to go out and spend $6+M on one.

Also, I purposely used "core" instead of "corps" given that the core offensive contributors/receivers are mostly from non-WR ;)

The problem for Amendola filling in for Edelman is that both guys have injury histories. I suspect that was another reason Hogan was brought in, since he can do many of the same things those two do. Washington is no guarantee to make the team either. I think WR is a position that's drafted still and it really wouldn't surprise me if it was done with one of the team's 2nd or 3rd round picks.

eh floyd is a good player. but is he a great player? is he a #1 receiver or just a very good #2 benefiting from playing across from Larry Fitzgerald?

Is it more likely for the Pats to trade for Jamaal Charles than Floyd?? He would certainly help our running game/offense particularly in the first 4 games..

I don't think any pats fan has ever really said that. I think most people understand that this offense is run mostly through short to intermediate routes (i.e. Large TEs and quick WRs are the focal points) so they don't see the need in investing big $ in a "deep threat."
I don't think of Floyd as a deep threat. Intermediate and red zone would be just fine. Bennett is on a one year guy (yes ....I know TE but he splits out as does Gronk), as is Nate Washington and at 33 unless he lights it up, this could be it here. Danny is at $6mm next year and 32 so that will be a no. Dobson won't be resigned unless he becomes Jerry Rice.

What realistic option do you have in mind for receivers in 2017? I love JE but he is one hit away.every week. He takes "Welkeresque" shots. Your two WRs next year might be Hogan and JE.

I saw a bunch of little quick WRs in the Bronco game would could not get open. Did you see too? The only guy open but not really was Gronk because of........very large human being differentiation. In 2014 La Fell proved that a larger WR was worth the effort. Ne fell in 2015, but Floyd is a much better WR than La Fell. anyway....that IMO.
DW Toys

Is it more likely for the Pats to trade for Jamaal Charles than Floyd?? He would certainly help our running game/offense particularly in the first 4 games..

I like Charles but he turns 30 this year. He is coming off an ACL (we have a pretty sporty RB in Lewis coming off an ACL and a lot younger) he is less than 200 LBS and in his 8 year NFL career he has only 3 seasons with 16 games.

In four seasons Floyd has missed one game. Again, 5- 100 yard games last year!

It is always enjoyable to have these discussions. Both would be fine.

BB signed Donald Brown and resigned both Gaffney and Blount. I would not be surprised if we are out of the RB business unless we go Navy in the 7th?

DW Toys

I like Charles but he turns 30 this year. He is coming off an ACL (we have a pretty sporty RB in Lewis coming off an ACL and a lot younger) he is less than 200 LBS and in his 8 year NFL career he has only 3 seasons with 16 games.

In four seasons Floyd has missed one game. Again, 5- 100 yard games last year!

It is always enjoyable to have these discussions. Both would be fine.

BB signed Donald Brown and resigned both Gaffney and Blount. I would not be surprised if we are out of the RB business unless we go Navy in the 7th?

Prediction if not now than training camp. White gets traded.Lewis and Brown can catch out of the backfield.Brown is a better blocker as well. White had a 2.5 YPC average....yikes!

DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes