PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Captain Slater extended 2yrs/$4M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Slater's cap numbers are as follows:
2014 - $2,938,934
2015 - $1,766,666
2016 - $1,766,668

Glad to see this, and affordable at two years, $4.2mm. Good for him.

There are a number of important free agents in 2015 - this removes one from the list.

Others include:
Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Develin
Tyms,
Wright
Cannon, Connolly
Siliga
(Revis), McCourty, Chung
Gostkowski

Hope to see a couple more extensions from that group.
I wouldnt consider any of the bolded ones important FAs, and Wright is not a FA, and I don't think Siliga is either.

Love me some Slater on ST

Next up...Revis

Is Siliga an RFA or a UFA?

There are a number of important free agents in 2015 - this removes one from the list.

Others include:
Tyms, Wright
Cannon, Connolly
Siliga
(Revis), McCourty, Chung
Gostkowski

YOUR LIST
Others include:
Tyms, Wright
Cannon, Connolly
Siliga
(Revis), McCourty, Chung
Gostkowski

NOTES

As has been noted, Wright is already under contract.

Develin and Siliga [update] are under contract if we want them, since they are ERFA's. RFA's MIGHT go elsewhere; ERFA's cannot.

I would add Ayers, Branch, and Casillas. To me, these three are more important than anyone but Gostkowski, Vereen, (Revis), McCourty, and Chung.

Last edited:
Is Siliga an RFA or a UFA?

If Sealver Siliga was on 53-man roster for 1 more game in 2013, he would be a RFA (at least 1.5m salary) after this year and not an ERFA (660K)

If Sealver Siliga was on 53-man roster for 1 more game in 2013, he would be a RFA (at least 1.5m salary) after this year and not an ERFA (660K)

I was confused because your free agency page has Siliga as an RFA while I have seem him listed elsewhere and discussed here as an ERFA.

I was confused because your free agency page has Siliga as an RFA while I have seem him listed elsewhere and discussed here as an ERFA.

Fixed.

Gostkowski would be the most likely next extension. As with Slater's, this extension is without real issues.

I'm confused by the "was"... should that be an "is"? As in "if Siliga is active fan a single game the rest of the way he'll be a RFA"?

Gostkowski would be the most likely next extension. As with Slater's, this extension is without real issues.

It may happen the way you say, but personally I think there should be other core players wrapped up first before deciding whether there is enough money to spend on a kicker, even one as good as Gost. I hope it all happens, but if it costs $4M/year then I don't think it is "without real issues".

Field Yates ‏@FieldYates 1m1 minute ago
Sources: The Patriots have signed special teams ace Matthew Slater to a 2-year, $4 million extension through 2016.

I remember when I wondered how he kept making the roster.
Me too. IIRC correctly he hyper-extended his elbow badly in preseason. I thought he was gonna get cut for sure. Then the facemask flub vs Pitt. I wanted him gone. Instead he is a team leader and one of the best cover guys on ST I've ever seen. Carries himself with professionalism. Seems like a rock-solid human being.

Glad I'm relegated to posting dumb stuff in-between cutting veggies and peeling potatoes while someone else makes football decisions :)

Worth every cent.
Seems like he could have made more $ on the open market but clearly that's not what he wanted. Reminds me of Bruschi's negotiations. He represented himself. Told the team he wasn't shopping himself (but rumors were that GB was sniffing), told the team he wanted to raise his family and finish his career in NE and asked for a fair deal. The Pats gave him a deal that he was happy with. I hope Slater got what he wanted and is happy.

Others include:
Tyms, Wright
Cannon, Connolly
Siliga
(Revis), McCourty, Chung
Gostkowski

I don't know how important a lot of these players are. Bolden is a dime a five dozen player. Develin is okay but he barely makes the roster let alone needs to be re-signed. Tyms- probably gone if he doesn't show quickly that his one big catch wasn't a fluke. I would like to see Chung back, but I suspect most of his "improved play" is correlated to playing in a great secondary and often getting the leftover assignments.

Maybe some don't agree, but I would consider it a victory if McCourty and Revis are extended even if no one else is. Gostkowski is awesome, but I look at the replacement options. There is no one close to Revis- he is on another level- and it's going to cost enough to get a Talib/Grimes type of replacement who will inevitably be a huge letdown. McCourty is a great talent as well, and I think we will get him provided he isn't looking for an Earl Thomas contract. It would be very difficult to replace McCourty as well. Pretty much every other player on this list can be replaced, if the market is high for them, Gostkowski included. Look at the average NFL kicker now.

Gostkowski is awesome, but I look at the replacement options. There is no one close to Revis- he is on another level- and it's going to cost enough to get a Talib/Grimes type of replacement who will inevitably be a huge letdown. McCourty is a great talent as well, and I think we will get him provided he isn't looking for an Earl Thomas contract. It would be very difficult to replace McCourty as well. Pretty much every other player on this list can be replaced, if the market is high for them, Gostkowski included. Look at the average NFL kicker now.
I don't really think Ghost will be a huge problem to resign, they could even backload it like the Cowboys did for Bailey. As for replacements look at how the Broncos fared with their Prater replacement.

Seems like he could have made more $ on the open market but clearly that's not what he wanted. Reminds me of Bruschi's negotiations. He represented himself. Told the team he wasn't shopping himself (but rumors were that GB was sniffing), told the team he wanted to raise his family and finish his career in NE and asked for a fair deal. The Pats gave him a deal that he was happy with. I hope Slater got what he wanted and is happy.
A refreshing exception to the rule, "It's all about the money."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey