Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cape Cod Commission denies Cape Wind application

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +504 / 6 / -2

Is this project ever going to happen?

Cape Cod Commission denies Cape Wind application

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:34am EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Cape Cod Commission in Massachusetts Thursday denied Cape Wind's application to bury electric cables needed to connect its proposed 420-megawatt offshore wind farm in the Nantucket Sound to the state power grid.

Cape Wind said in a release that it would challenge the Commission decision. The Cape Cod Commission is a local organization created by the state in 1990 to manage growth and protect Cape Cod's natural resources.

Sen. Ted Kennedy and many residents who own coastal property from where they could see the wind turbines on a clear day oppose the project along with some environmental groups concerned about disrupting the patterns of migratory birds and the potential effect on local sea life.

The project's supporters, who include other environmental groups, meanwhile claim it would provide renewable energy, improve air quality, lower electricity costs and increase the reliability of the power grid.

http://www.reuters.com/article/envi...e=RSS&feedName=environmentNews&rpc=22&sp=true
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

you should see the mugshots of these people... frightening...

a dozen+ old geezers, all with ingidnant looks on their faces as if they've all just smelled a brutal fart...

"there will be NO development on Cape Cod, or it'll be over MY DEAD BODY"

which may be soon...
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not whilst there's an ounce of breath in Ted Kennedy. We can't do anything to interfere with his yachting lanes.
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i think it's more about migrating and seafaring wildlife.... but leave it to clown-feld here to presume the wrong assessment...

regardless, i'm for the wind farm... i just know what the resistance is about, and it's precisely NOT mostly about decadence...
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I've been working down there all summer, and the mood amongst the people there is cleanly split along socio-economic lines, which on the cape means those who own boats (I mean BOATS) and houses with water views. They are vehemently opposed to the project. Everyone else, about 80% by my informal, very non-scientific poll, are either indifferent or for the project. These are year-round residents who work and can only afford to live at least one mile from the shore. Many of these are renters and have little time to hang out at the marina and beach.
    There is a sliver of rich shorebirds who want the wind project for environmental, symbolic (research for alternative energy), or aesthetic reasons.

The money will win this one because there is some BIG money down there. I wonder what James Taylor and Carley Simon think.
  6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just a bunch of limosine liberals that want to tell the rest of us to sacrifice.
  7. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

In a local paper the other day, was an article concerning a boat yard owner who wanted to install a windmill at his business. Keep in mind, this is not on the beach but Route 28. The locals turned him down. Why on earth would he want to ruin scenic Route 28 is beyond me (sarcasm, if you've never been trapped on RT. 28).
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's pretty much it. But they see it as an encroachment on their property rights, or more accurately, the value of the view from their property. No one owns the ocean, but those with the money wield the power on the various commissions in charge down there. It's unbelievable the layers of local government on the Cape. It's like an independent country. The town by-laws for Harwich, for example, a pretty small town, are about the size of the Boston Phone book. They have rules about the types of hedges you can put between properties and they're not the same as the ones you can put out in front on the road. It's layers upon layers of bureaucracy with very powerful local control. The lawyers down there are like ants at a picnic. Town selectmen aren't plumbers or store owners like up here in the boonies. They're power brokers, millionaires and lawyers
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The nicest home I've ever worked in was a $3,000,000 house on the shore in Cohasset, MA. It wasn't a huge place, maybe 4 bedrooms or so. So one way to look at the place is to say its roughly $300,000 in labor and construction materials with a $2.7 million-dollar view. I can't say whether its wrong to put a wind turbine outside that guy's bedroom window; but you'd certainly be taking a lot of money out of his pocket if you did.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +504 / 6 / -2

What's sad in this country is that the city, or state, can confiscate you're meager shack, with a view of a vecle ridden alley, and hand it to WalMart for their next Superstore, but god forbid the enviro-nazi's have to deal with a wind farm on public property, that they might see on only the clearest of days. God bless Amerika! :D
  11. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I don't think the market price for the house declines. The turbines are in a distance and become part of the scenery. Those distant turbines are not nearly as ugly as the docks built on the shoreline. Not to mention that big hunk of metal that is tied up next to it, that usually doesn't have sails.
  12. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

The reason that this project will never happen is because Ted Kennedy will not allow it. He doesn't want to look out of his Cape house and see them nor does he want his sailing interfered with. That's the absolute truth, I promise this will never happen.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +504 / 6 / -2

Naha! You're lying. :p
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +654 / 2 / -9

Yup, and he's the same guy that degraded every Black Child in America back in the 70's by telling them they were to stupid to learn how to read unless they were bussed 30 miles away from their home and forced to sit side beside a white kid (sitting beside a whitey makes black kid smarter) Uncle Teddy said that not me.

The day after they put a Windmill off Cape Cod Uncle Teddy will get drunk and ram it, his boat will sink and he will have to swim home like he did the night he killed Mary Jo.

Man the life boats, she's going down Captain Teddy (f-cking windmill) :singing: :singing: