PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap - We're All In At The Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see no way we're trading Mankins unless it's Ware coming back. And that's not gonna happen. Mankins is too important to our OL and now that things have been smoothed over with Mr. Kraft I think a long term deal is only a matter of time.
I don't think we are trading Mankins either.
There is cap room to grab otherwise if we need it, but it sounds like an extension is more and more likely.
I also dont know if keeping aside a large in season reseve is necessary.
First, when we cut down, there will be players under the top 51 that make the team, and correspondingly highe paid guys that don't, so that frees in season money, and there is a new provision about 'borrowing' future cap money. Having that probably lessens the concern about saving money for in season moves.

I don't think we are trading Mankins either.
There is cap room to grab otherwise if we need it, but it sounds like an extension is more and more likely.
I also dont know if keeping aside a large in season reseve is necessary.
First, when we cut down, there will be players under the top 51 that make the team, and correspondingly highe paid guys that don't, so that frees in season money, and there is a new provision about 'borrowing' future cap money. Having that probably lessens the concern about saving money for in season moves.

I go back to my original question, because the discussion has pretty much made it clear that we have the ABILITY to add cap space. The question is, do we want to? Is there someone STILL out there who people would want us to get that would even require us to make some adjustment to our current contracts?

For example what would Matt Roth cost us?

BTW- Mankins isn't going to be traded, but there IS the possibility that the deal DOESN'T get done in the next 4 weeks and he plays under his franchise number for this year. This makes SOME sense.

We have him here for the season. We get to see how Cannon develops. We have that extra pick at the bottom of the first where excellent Gs can be obtained. We get a 2012 3rd if he signs elsewhere. We have another year to evaluate his play to see if there is any slippage. There is another year we have to evaluate the LG market. And then there is the injury factor.

Not necessarily likely but there if they don't get a deal done that doesn't mean they won't at the end of the season or if he goes, there isn't any POSSIBLE upside

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey