PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bedard just tweeted that according to a league source the Patriots have $15,271,750.00 in remaining cap room (discounting the draft $) . If correct, that provides the team with a lot of wiggle room.

That could totally swing the 7mm/per that Reed is supposedly holding out for :rolleyes:

BB always talks about dollar numbers being meaningless without other context so I am going to try and add some very low level context and feel free to adjust my numbers accordingly.

I am going to leave names out of it for ease of writing and because that's a different debate.

By my count if I read miguels page right

we have 67 players under contract and we can have as many as 90 but obviously the key numbers being 45 active roster, 53 man roster, plus the practice squad.

I just did a real quick run down and came up with 41 players that would seem to be locks or very close to it.

Plus I figure you have to add the draft picks and we have 4 picks right now and I know the 7 isn't a lock but we usually land a UDFA that sticks so I will call that a wash and go with 4.

That's 45 players already under contract that very likely will be on this team.

I guess a true analysis should include the cost of the 45 mentioned and the effect of the 26 deemed expendable (I did take into context big money when chosing these guys as even if my opinion of someone was not great their cap hit might make it restrictive to cut).

Bottom line we need to sign in 19 more guys to max out to 90 but in reality there isnt much more room on the 53 about 8 guys some of which will come from the 26 deemed expendable if they can win a job.

We have around 15 mil or so still available some of which (not what the media would like to think) already has purpose. but depending how much you truly allocate to the picks and in season transactions and we have a few needs on the roster most note worthy being WR, Pass rusher, and some vet depth at OL and CB.

To me what all this means is that if they wanted to they could make one or 2 fairly significant signings. lets say it was 2 we could IMO offer as much as 4-5 mil in first year money and still have 5 mil (plus the difference of what you gut for the players pushed off the roster) left for the last 6 to the 53, the journymen that fill out the 90, the rookie pool, and the in season transactions. (argue if you want wether 5 mil is enough for all that but there are also other restructures possible). Now I stress the if they wanted to because they just as easyily could go with 3 or 4 medium signings or one huge and it comes down to what's out there on FA market they might want and if that deal will be long term or not and all the variables that go with spending money plus whats out there for trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back