PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd agree that drafting LTs at the top of the draft was pretty hit-or-miss prior to Jake Long, Ryan Clady, and Joe Thomas (D'Brick, Gallery), but I wouldn't say that it's any worse than any other position. By all accounts this draft has some great talent at the top of the stack in Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith. If the Patriots somehow were to end up drafting there, where would they have a greater need? Maybe if Aaron Curry was available at LB. It's sort of a moot point anyways, though, since I really don't see the Pats trading up that high.
After watching Jason Smith workout...on top of seeing him play against UConn....I would be truly psyched to receive KC's #3, at least two of Smith, Monroe, Curry, or Crabtree would be available. Better yet, NE could try to trade down and draft Connor Barwin. (How's that for binky fever mayoclinic? :D )

EDIT: D'Brick may not be an all-round stud, but he's nowhere near a bust, and even Gallery is returning late first value now that he's playing Guard.

Last edited:
Patriots Insider.com=Scout.
NFL Analyst
DW Toys

I am not a member of Scout. Com but I could look at
Scout.com: New England Patriots Free Agent Confidential

"Acording to Tom Marino if these players are cut or left to go FA we free up $16,647,000, not including a Cassel trade."

Where does he say the above???

It is not fair to him for you to say that he said something without actually providing a quote. As of this moment until you can provide an actual Tom Marion quote I think that you misunderstood what he wrote.

After watching Jason Smith workout...on top of seeing him play against UConn....I would be truly psyched to receive KC's #3, at least two of Smith, Monroe, Curry, or Crabtree would be available. Better yet, NE could try to trade down and draft Connor Barwin. (How's that for binky fever mayoclinic? :D )

EDIT: D'Brick may not be an all-round stud, but he's nowhere near a bust, and even Gallery is returning late first value now that he's playing Guard.

I definitely agree that they're not busts, just agreeing that the Raiders didn't pick Gallery #2 overall to be a good guard, and the Jets didn't take Brick fourth overall to be alright. Not busts, but certainly disappointments.

Then again, who was it that said that the best thing about drafting a LT early is that, if it doesn't work out, he can play RT?

Unfortunately, you are quite wrong here. Historically OT in the first round, and especially as a Top 5 pick, is the safest selection. WR is actually the biggest bust rate from what I've heard and read.

I am talking the post Pace/Jones draft which has produced busts/disapointments like Mike Williams and Robert Gallery. Over the last decade, the OT has not been all that safe of a first round selection. Go bad and look and there are far more busts and disapointments over the last decade than hits.

Last edited:

Ferguson isn't an outright bust, but he his a pretty big disapointment based on his draft selection. It is safe to say Gallery is a bust considering he was the number 2 selection and is now a good not a great guard and it took two unproductive seasons for him to get there.

Last edited:
I'd agree that drafting LTs at the top of the draft was pretty hit-or-miss prior to Jake Long, Ryan Clady, and Joe Thomas (D'Brick, Gallery), but I wouldn't say that it's any worse than any other position. By all accounts this draft has some great talent at the top of the stack in Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith. If the Patriots somehow were to end up drafting there, where would they have a greater need? Maybe if Aaron Curry was available at LB. It's sort of a moot point anyways, though, since I really don't see the Pats trading up that high.

There may be other positions that are worse, but drafting OTs in the first round since Pace/Jones and until the last two years have been pretty bad. I am not talking pre-1997 where a lot of franchise LTs were selected in the first round.

Lots of teams grab starting tackles outside of the first round, I don't think that's news to anyone. I don't think RT is an immediate need or anything, though: Kaczur is serviceable. If anyone worries me on the OL, it's Light (good most of the time, but he gets really manhandled by some of the elite pass rushers) and Neal (injured too much).

If we ended up with a pick at the top of the first for Cassel, I'd hope that the Pats would take one of the elite LT prospects for this year, and maybe that would bump Light over to RT, but I doubt that replacing Kaczur straight-up is a priority.

I have never understood this sentiment towards Light. Don't most LTs get manhandled by elite pass rushers? Isn't that why they're elite?

I think a prior poster nailed it on the head Light is in the top 1/3 of LTs, which to me means there are more pressing needs on the OL than LT. I personally think RG is biggest need on the OL. As good as Neal is, he is 33 (I think) and has injury issues.

I am talking the post Pace/Jones draft which has produced busts/disapointments like Mike Williams and Robert Gallery. Over the last decade, the OT has not been all that safe of a first round selection. Go bad and look and there are far more busts and disapointments over the last decade than hits.
It doesn't matter what time frame you are using, the people who make a living tracking this stuff emphatically say your impression is inaccurate. Their assessment emphatically points to OT as "the" safest draft selection at the top of the draft [period, end of sentence, long break].

Ferguson isn't an outright bust, but he his a pretty big disapointment based on his draft selection. It is safe to say Gallery is a bust considering he was the number 2 selection and is now a good not a great guard and it took two unproductive seasons for him to get there.
Well, their not the greatest, though how they make your point that Kaczur sucks and could be replaced by a mid-round OT in this draft eludes me.

I have never understood this sentiment towards Light. Don't most LTs get manhandled by elite pass rushers? Isn't that why they're elite?

I think a prior poster nailed it on the head Light is in the top 1/3 of LTs, which to me means there are more pressing needs on the OL than LT. I personally think RG is biggest need on the OL. As good as Neal is, he is 33 (I think) and has injury issues.
RG isn't an issue so much as reserve RG needs to be upgraded as insurance for Neal (and Koppen and Mankins). That is an area that can be upgraded with a mid-round draft pick.

RG isn't an issue so much as reserve RG needs to be upgraded as insurance for Neal (and Koppen and Mankins). That is an area that can be upgraded with a mid-round draft pick.

dump neal, move kaczur inside, sign khalif barnes

Tis the season, any last second cuts by the Pats?

Vrabel would be a shock but in this economy no one is safe. Deep year OLB in the draft hurts as well.

Faulk could be released as well.

That would clear up $6-$7 M but man would it suck.
Add Tom Brady to the list as well.. Good grief...practice squad time...silly season

Last edited:
the pats could make 4-5M of cap space by extending seymour

the pats could also realize some savings if they wanted to extend jarvis green

Last edited:
dump neal, move kaczur inside, sign khalif barnes
dump Nal?? Who the heck is Barnes.. some savior?? lol...Neal is the most athletic OL the Pats have..in time he'll need to be replaced but dump?? Not really all that smart..and maybe Kaczur is not as good at guard...maybe not as good as Neal...THAT is also possible..

he did? how come most pats carriers experienced experienced better success running left than running right?

You're kidding with this question, right?

You're kidding with this question, right?

no, I'm not......

and neal is going to be 33 and hasn't played a full season since 2005

this is funny.........you get all jiggy about my idea, but think drafting an OT and moving kaczur inside was a great idea........

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes