Welcome to PatsFans.com

Can't wait to see how the police unions spin this one.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pujo, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Will FTW will come to his defense?
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/03/22/bartender.beaten.ap/index.html

2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +236 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

There are three cop videos I've seen today. I think that Chicago one is on all the news sites. ABC even has one showing a cop shoveing a skate boarder into some bushes. foxnews.com has the Chicago cop beating up the girl. It also has one showing a cop risking his life pulling a man out of an out of control car fire. The media likes to pile on the bad cop stuff. No media bias there.

3. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No argument that there's media bias, and no doubt cops do much more good than bad on any given day, but this incident is still horrible.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 3 / -10

Pujo, I usually back the cops in most everything they do especially in the "Racist Crap" but this cop is a piece of snake sh!t, I hope relatives or friends of this Women that he beat waits until this blows over and then humt him down and use a baseball bat on him, put him in the hospital for a long time.

This animal should never again be allowed to roam the streets with a badge cliub and gun.

Can you just imagine this lousy mother $%#^@# driving a car that has a sign on the door reading "To Serve And Protect"

From the pictures I watched if that little girl had been a man he would have mopped the floor with the rat scum.

Every male cop in America should challenge this creep to a street fight and beat him to death.

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

The guy was off duty, at a bar, and probably drunk. The guy is a loser, but his actions don't represent the department since he wasn't in uniform and performing any department duties. That he is a cop is upsetting, but who knows what kind of person he was as a police officer. The guy clearly should not be a cop after this incident. Personally, I can't stand it when policemen overstep the boundries of their badge, and despise the way unions have defended most of the losers we see in the news.

7. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I agree this doesn't reflect on the department as a whole, and I give the union credit (they haven't released any statements supporting him).

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

I've never hit a woman, and have beaten up kids because of the very fact that they have. However, I will say that there are occasions where it's warranted. Like when they overcook your steak, don't bring you a cup of coffee as soon as you ask, or when you think they banged your brother :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS5eez_f4d8

[​IMG]

I hope that everyone knows I'm talking about the movie "Raging Bull" with Robert Deniro. :D

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +561 / 22 / -19

Sometimes I think some people just don't get unions. A union represents the interests of its members, just as a corporate board represents the interests of its shareholders. A union has to do what it has to do. It has a contract with it's member, and the contract doesn't allow them to presume someone guilty. Now, in this case, the union might be safe because the guy committed his crime on his own time. On the other hand, maybe he can wave the contract in front of the union and get some help. The presumption of innocence is a pain in the neck sometimes.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Oh, I think most people get unions. I'm not sure you do.

11. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Unions may opt out of representing someone if the union feels it's not in their interest. Remember, a union isn't a defense attorney, it doesn't just represent one client. It represents its entire membership, and it may feel that in some cases not defending one member of the union is in the interests of the union as a whole.

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +561 / 22 / -19

Yeah, but it has to operate under the presumption of innocence. I don't see how a union can get around that. In this case, maybe the union doesn't have to be involved. But, if the cop was on duty, I bet the union would come to his defense because it would have no choice. I don't see how it can get around presumption of innocence. I don't see how a contract could be worded to allow that.

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

People do things when they're drunk that they've wanted to do but had their wits about them enough to override their urges. My guess is that there'll be other women saying he hit them, but they were afraid to charge the psycho cop. No chance this guy keeps his job or any of his friends after this. I can't imagine what this girl's father or brothers are planning right now.

14. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm sure they have an internal process to decide whether a union will represent him or not. It's likely they have a comittee or an executive officer who decides whether representing him is in the best interests of the union membership

15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Bad news sells newspapers, and gets viewers.

Buyer beware.

//

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 3 / -10

I can't see how any Union can defend this guy, the pictures tell the whole story.

I was a working Teamster for 42 years and when I was working there were two things that the Union would not help you with, "Drinking On The Job And Stealing" and there was a lot of it in the old days, the City Drivers of those days were very heavy drinkers and in the Trucking Business there was always the Temptation for "Thievery", The Teamsters would not back you on either of these two.

This guy that beat the girl should not only be fired on the spot he should also go to jail, there are "bad apples" on all jobs, he is one of them.

17. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Geez, Harry, you can really be lucid at times.

18. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +236 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yes that is a large part of why it's all over the news. Unfortunately when the same kind of stories are repeated over and over again, then public perception is effected. That leads to public opinion. How many times did we see the Rodney King Video? How many negative stories are shown night after night about the military and Iraq? News agencies understand this. They not only want to sell, they also want to sway public opinion while they're at it. Politicians know it as well. Why did we get complaints when campaign ads showing planes hitting the twin towers surfaced? Easy because they didn't want it sway to public opinion. The other side of course did.

It interesting every network internet site made sure this beating video aired. It's also intersting that the only one showing the cop risking life and limb in the fire resue was Fox. They may lean to the right, but at least they show a different point of view. Show that one over and over again on all the networks and maybe the police will not get the same bad rap they always seem to get.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 3 / -10

What does "Lucid" mean :)
    You stupid $%#@^*& Harry, Lucid means "Mentally sound; sane or rational":singing:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

Being a former union official of a public safety union, this are the tough ones, if you do not defend him.. not sure they have to, as I have not seen their contract, the union may be liable. IMO without knowing all of the details, the Union will defend him with respect to due process in keeping his job, his actions are not defensible in a Court of Law. The Union role will probably be to insure that he is protected in the due process in his termination proceedings. A lot of times this is just lip service by the unions, not sure how this turned into a rant against unions. A better rant might be violence towards women..