Can't Trade SF Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't see a discussion on this but someone just told me that
Eisen on NFL Network said PATs can't trade the SF Pick.

Anyone else hear this? Does anyone know of a rule that would make this so?

They can trade the pick.

If the pick was a compensatory pick they couldn't trade it.

I have neve heard of any rule like that and i doubt very seriously the NFL would make a team make a pick

Sounds stoopid to me.

Eison is a dumb dumb.as! if he said that.

Last edited:

I doubt it was in reference to a rule or ruling. More of a refrence that trading out of a top pick is not a regular occurance and to match the "value chart" it would be near impossible to get the value given the salary cap tied up in a top 5 pick.

They can trade the pick.

If the pick was a compensatory pick they couldn't trade it.

Does it have to do with propagating a pick a number of times

Hawks pick for Deion -> That Pick for SF's 1st Pick ->> .....

Is there a limit to number times this can be done?

They can trade the SF pick, only FA compensation picks can't be traded.

Didn't see it, so let me ask you: are you sure he said that they can't trade it, or is it possible he said they won't be able to trade it?

The latter is, in fact, a distinct possibility, though not a likely one.

Didn't see it, so let me ask you: are you sure he said that they can't trade it, or is it possible he said they won't be able to trade it?

The latter is, in fact, a distinct possibility, though not a likely one.

I did not hear it. This is second hand and it was apparently said on
NFL Access. It may not have been Eisen it could have been Schefter or
one of the other commentators.

Does it have to do with propagating a pick a number of times

Hawks pick for Deion -> That Pick for SF's 1st Pick ->> .....

Is there a limit to number times this can be done?

I've never heard of a rule like that, but it wouldn't be applicable in this situation anyway. The Pats sent the 28th pick in the draft (their pick) to the 9ers.

I've never heard of a rule like that, but it wouldn't be applicable in this situation anyway. The Pats sent the 28th pick in the draft (their pick) to the 9ers.

No; in fact, I think there's been at least one pick in the last few years that's traded hands at least five times before it was used.

With the exception of compensation picks, all other picks may be traded as often as the owners see fit. There is abso-smurfly no restriction on trading that pick.

Eisen is a befuddled doofus

Eisen is a befuddled doofus

I'm just glad those "It's good to be Rich" ads from a few years ago went away. Those were almost as annoying as the Peyton Manning hallway commercial is this year.

Just once, I'd like to see that Dolphins defender just level Peyton.

Last edited:
We can trade the pick.

In some years we may not be able to find a buyer. But this is not such a year. There are at least two franchise QBs available and rebuilding teams will pay for a QB. With the #2 pick I would trade in the top five for a team that wants a QB and pickup a pick, then trade down for someone who wants Mcfadden. And get another pick.

Then trade down to 12-15 and take a Lb or Cb or perhaps an O tackle.

It is widely believed that you can't trade a #2 pick anymore.

This is because:

1. It is widely understood that salary cap considerations make the top picks worth considerably less than the draft pick value chart (DPVC) indicates.

2. Any GM that makes a trade in which he gives up a top pick for substantially less than the DPVC indicates will be pilloried by his home town press.

New England is the exception to this rule because everybody knows that our head coach is god, and the press is scared of writing something like this:

Ron Borges said:
On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon.

We can trade the pick.

In some years we may not be able to find a buyer. But this is not such a year. There are at least two franchise QBs available and rebuilding teams will pay for a QB. With the #2 pick I would trade in the top five for a team that wants a QB and pickup a pick, then trade down for someone who wants Mcfadden. And get another pick.

Then trade down to 12-15 and take a Lb or Cb or perhaps an O tackle.

Seriously, while it's possible we could do this, why would we? Do we want four first round picks on our team as currently constituted? Where are we going to put them? Those are some highly paid benchwarmers/situational players. We need some DB help, but it's a really weak DB draft year.

If we have the #2 pick, I'd be cool with drafting Jake Long, even trading up to #1 if necessary. I'd rather have one overpaid guy who improves the team than four overpaid guys who really don't. I'd be okay in trading back once, and taking the compensation in 2009 draft picks.

Any draft picks we get via trade should be pushed into future years.

Seriously, while it's possible we could do this, why would we? Do we want four first round picks on our team as currently constituted? Where are we going to put them? Those are some highly paid benchwarmers/situational players. We need some DB help, but it's a really weak DB draft year.

If we have the #2 pick, I'd be cool with drafting Jake Long, even trading up to #1 if necessary. I'd rather have one overpaid guy who improves the team than four overpaid guys who really don't. I'd be okay in trading back once, and taking the compensation in 2009 draft picks.

Any draft picks we get via trade should be pushed into future years.

I hope they trade back a little because a top 3 pick would warrant an investment similar to the one they put into Brady.

I just don't see how NE can put $25mm guaranteed into a guy who has never played a down in the NFL.

If we have the #2 pick, I'd be cool with drafting Jake Long, even trading up to #1 if necessary. I'd rather have one overpaid guy who improves the team than four overpaid guys who really don't........

QUOTE]

I agree with your assessment that DB help is needed as I do not feel comfortable with only having three truely competent corners on the team right now, and I would guess most people would like some type of linebacker youth infusion. However if the Patriots were to get the #2 and use it on Jake Long or Darren McFadden, that presents a problem. Yes both players are most likely an upgrade over the current holders of the position [Long moves Light to the right tackle position, upgrading LT and RT by at least a marginal amount, and McFadden v Maroney probably is an upgrade]; however the problem is that the advantage of good drafting is that you should be able to get above average talent for below market rates for four to six years.

See the deal that we effectively got for our D-line, or Samuels compared to their second contracts. That divergence between cash and cap outlays v. true market value has allowed the Pats to allocate their cap to address other needs. Picking at #2 removes this projected divergence unless you believe that anyone the Pats pick there will have multiple All-Pro years in their rookie contract AND be a Pro-Bowler in their rookie year.

So if the Pats were able to move back to #8 and pick up say #40 and at least one first day pick in 2009, the Pats most likely will still improve their overall talent level for the 2008 season while providing for cheap depth [#40 has similiar cap charges as a vested vetern brought in on a league min. deal in 2008; see the Chad Jackson contract on patscap.com for the details]. Note that I have the Patriots significantly underselling the #2 pick to avoid salary cap charges in future years --- the DVC has the @2 at 2600 points, and a trade of #8, #40 and 2009 1st Rounder is only about 2400 points.

In my mind if the Pats have a choice of picking Long @#2 and then nothing until #64 and 66/67 [Raiders], or picking the #2 OT at #8, and the #4 or #5 CB at #40 and then filling other needs in the 60s, I'll choise the second scenario, for although there is a drop-off between Long and the #2 OT, I think the team is improved more and at a lesser cost by getting the #2 OT to effectively replace Kaczur, and getting a legit potential starting CB who should be able to displace Gay as the nickelback allowing Gay to move to the #2 position if Samuels leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes