Welcome to PatsFans.com

Can't Double Team 'Em All

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Bostonian1962, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

I was sitting here fantasizing. Not about what my wife will be doing to me later. O.K., a little about that. Also, about our new and improved defensive line.

I'm in the DC area. You guys are going to love Mr. Carter. The year before last, he was a beast. He had to be double teamed a bunch, and caused havoc out there. On top of it all, he's a great teammate and leader, with a motor that won't quit.

We all know how much Mr. Wilfolk has to be double and triple teamed. You can't stop him one on one.

Mr. Haynesworth (I have no idea, why I'm referring all of them as Mr.) was the best defensive lineman in the NFL not too long ago, and was constantly double and triple teamed.

The Patriots themselves had to double team Mr. Ellis in the January playoff game.
    We all know that for a fact.

Imagine if we have all four of them out there at the same time, or some portion of them, with the great players around them? It's nice to have one of those beasts on your team, and watch the other teams scheme to block them. How about having all four on one defensive line?

This could be a dominant and disruptive defensive line.

I wish week one would get here. Are you all feeling the same?

2. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +440 / 1 / -0

I agree. I don't think people on here realize how good Carter is, especially.

3. Bigatrop

Bigatrop Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's because of this fact that I am predicting Cunningham to have a beast of a year, despite what Reiss and posters on this board are worried about.

And even if Cunningham doesn't have a great sophmore year, the rotation we can employ with all these DLs is a headache in itself for OLs.

I think this defense will be absolutely dominant in comparison to recent years.

4. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 9 / -1

#61 Jersey

I have to agree that outside of the talent that these guys have, their athleticism, the real value of them is the potential matchups that other teams have to take into consideration with their game plans.

Pretty much anything that you, as a coach can do to create planning problems for the other team is worthwhile.

5. Bostonian1962

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

Yep, and then you mix in the Andersons, Cunninghams, and other pass rushing types, and they could have a field day. This could be what we've all been waiting for, I guess for a few years now.

6. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +157 / 2 / -2

So then how d oyou defens against them? Speed unit at skill positions? Dink and Dunk offense? the 'ole Ben Rothlesiberger pump fake (and people still fall for all the time) and go.

7. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +471 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Carter is in for a big year . . . mark my words.

8. Bostonian1962

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

I don't doubt that for a moment.

9. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,394 / 19 / -5

#87 Jersey

I took the liberty of editing your post. I hope you don't mind. :D

10. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,487 / 13 / -8

#24 Jersey

Wait? So we're both fantasizing about your wife? ;)

(I simply couldn't help myself--you served me up a big fastball)

No, I agree with you 100%. Those 4 and even some others at times, will need doubled. That should open up some serious lanes and allow us to see more of an attack-style defense (at times). That of course, will be fun to watch.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  11. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +273 / 6 / -1

Been wondering the same, and would love to hear thoughts on this from those who know about these matters. That is, if it's OK with Joker; I'm not sure if it qualifies as a question a real football fan would ask.

12. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,487 / 13 / -8

#24 Jersey

Not that I know enough about the topic, so excuse my ignorance, but I'd assume that any/all/combo of the 3 examples provided may be used to combat that at times. That's why it's important to have a good overall scheme so the other players can be in position too, and do their jobs correctly. The good news is that we have a coach who can point out tendancies and make adjustments.

13. BlueThunder

BlueThunder PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Slants and swing passes is what Snatchy mainly threw last nite.....short stuff with the WR doing the work after the catch.....Jam them at the line and his game has gone to crap......

WHY do the Pats DB play with such a big cushion.....with this attacking style DL and LB's, the Patriot DB's should be sitting in the opposing WR's hip pocket.....:eek:

14. Sivy

Sivy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

ha ha ha

nice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.