PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cant believe no one brought this up yet......

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBruschi54

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
...The 15 yard penalty by Seau for taunting.

The new league rule is you cannot get up and yell at another player in his face. :rolleyes:

Heres another stupid rule that takes away from the fun of the game. So what is the defense supposed to do high five the offense after they make a play?

Great, Seau and Rodney are vocal guys notorious for doing things like that and now they cant.

Im sorry i just think that is the stupidest rule i have ever heard of.

SeanBruschi54 said:

The new league rule is you cannot get up and yell at another player in his face. :rolleyes:

Heres another stupid rule that takes away from the fun of the game. So what is the defense supposed to do high five the offense after they make a play?

Great, Seau and Rodney are vocal guys notorious for doing things like that and now they cant.

Polian didn't want the Patriots players to make fun of Peyton by flapping their arms and pointing at him after he threw an interception

SeanBruschi54 said:

Sean,I TOTALLY Agree.Those guys feed off energy,Its like telling them to stop breathing.THAT Rediculous IMHO...Nice Post.

It does take away a bit from the energy of the game. But the change is instead of taunting the other side, just whoop it up with your team mates instead. I hope there's no rule against that yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
SeanBruschi54 said:

This rule makes me want to puke all over the officials face.

I can't believe how PC football is getting. It's disgusting. Now we are rewarding teams for getting their feelings hurt?! I'm sorry, but the only things that should be penalized are things that affect the game in a tangible way.

id rather see a penalty from Seau that takes 15 yards than Beisel in the middle letting up 15 yards after 2 plays

Next are they going to eliminate the OL and DL taunting while they are lined up for the snap of the ball. If the DL is dominating, they have some really good ones, they can lay on the OL. Once in college I saw a referee chuckle as the result of a taunt.

Football is about physical and phychological domination with a little intimidation thrown in to boot.

If Rodney lays out an opposing player, how can you not expect Rodney to educate that laid out player about the terrible job that laid out player's mother did in raising a less than "real" man.

If you can't taunt, then that energy has to be released in some other form. It could result in more chippiness along the sidelines.

Remix 6 said:
id rather see a penalty from Seau that takes 15 yards than Beisel in the middle letting up 15 yards after 2 plays

I don't think you will be seeing much of Beisel anyways so you won't have to worry about that, hopefully.

BradyManny2344 said:
QUOTE]

Hey, I agree that this is beyond stupid, but it's not the officials that set the rules, they just enforce the rules. Your issue is with the NFL front office.

Drewwho said:
BradyManny2344 said:
QUOTE]

Hey, I agree that this is beyond stupid, but it's not the officials that set the rules, they just enforce the rules. Your issue is with the NFL front office.
Doesn't the competition comittee set the rules?

Anyway, puking in an official's face is also worth 15 yards.

One of the "Eggles" got the same Penalty Friday night for spinning the ball. I definitely hate the rule. Who wants to watch zombie moving up and down the field?

Did anyone else hear Mike Lynch say last week that there's a new rule that local media is not allowed on the field when the game is televised nationally? That just seemed bizarre to me.

The rules are what they are... most guys here are p.o.d (and rightly) that Junior can't taunt. Well, we usually rant and rave about grandstanders on other teams. Maybe it IS more fun for people to do the flexingsackdancingfistpumping etc routines (although we didn't really care for it two weeks ago,) but the rules are the rules.

What's a BB team do -- incur the unnecessary penalty, or complain about the rules? Ergo... do we want to make excuses for Junior (IMO a great pickup...) or do we shake our heads and say "too old to be making those rookie mistakes?"

I say the latter. He was getting the job done -- it's HIS mistake, not the ref's.

PFnV

As the prior posters have pointed out, this is a dumb rule. But its also very subjective and not reviewable.

Last edited:
The rule I don't like is reviewing a fumble after the ball is blown dead. That has potential injuries written all over it.

Michael said:
Did anyone else hear Mike Lynch say last week that there's a new rule that local media is not allowed on the field when the game is televised nationally? That just seemed bizarre to me.

Yes, and it is a new rule. Local media also can't use their TV cameras to take video at the stadium, and the local shows can't use clips other than those provided through the NFL. Its all about increasing $, and trying to protect the NFL network as it starts to compete against the regular networks. It is also designed to keep clips off the internet.

But. Last night Lynch and Nellie were on the field and when they took TV shots of the sidelines during the lulls they showed a couple of guys with TV cameras and big fluorescent orange ponchos that said TEAM CAMERAS. At the end of the whole thing it said it was a Kraft TV production, even though it was Channel 5 and their people with the ABC network people. I wonder if they (Local Channel 5) have gotten around the restrictions by affiliating themselves with Kraft productions as something sanctioned by the Team (with Kraft and team approval of course). If so, I wonder if it will work for the Channel 4 guys when the regular season begins, or if its just channel 5. The Pats seem to be friendlier with the Channel 5 people anyway.

I don't think it is a new rule.

The problem I had with that particular penalty is that upon watching the replay it appeared to me that Jr just got in the lineman's face (about a cheap-shot?) at the end of the play. Not what I'd term taunting? I guess for a 15yder I'd like to see it be on a more blatant act!

BB: the rules are the same for everybody.

BB: we can't control the rules, or the referees or the weather. All we can control is us.

Johnny Z said:
I don't think it is a new rule.

From the National Press Photographers web site:

http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2006/03/nfl.html

There may be other places, but I don't want to spend the time searching.

The first preseason game the local guys (Lobel & Burton) were at the studio, said they were told under the new rules they couldn't broadcast from the stadium. The 2nd Mike Lynch was not there and also said they couldn't. The 3rd game Lynch was there. Don't know if he and the local guys worked out something with the Network or the Pats, or if the rule is being 'adjusted'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back