Welcome to PatsFans.com

Candidates in the special election

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by sdaniels7114, Aug 28, 2009.

1. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This January Senator Kennedy's seat will be filled by way of a special election. I suppose there's a chance the interim replacement talk may bear fruit and we'll have a bridge; but I figure that's unlikely. The seat will remain empty until the voters fill it.

Romney choosing to run would signal the end of any Presidential aspirations he may have. Even if he figures Obama will be re-elected and he'd have several years of time in the Senate he already has everything that could give him without all the baggage that's made it tough over the years for a Senator to make the jump. I'd say his chances of running are less than 20% Winning? less than 5% Remember that he left the Governorship with an approval rating of about 30.

All the other Republicans together have about a 1% chance combined.

Now as for the Democratic side there's Delahunt, Lynch and Capuano. All have dough in the bank, plenty of name recognition and are locks at retaining their House seats if they fail in January. Martha Coakley's an interesting possibility but she's got no money.

Of those currently out of politics there's Meehan and uh ooh Joe Kennedy Yep, that name again. I figure Meehan's happy in academia; but Joe still has 2 million in his campaign account even though he left the house in '99 I wonder why?

I'd rank the above names thusly:

Capuano, Kennedy, Lynch, Coakley, Delahunt and Meehan.

As to my personal preference? Its got to be good 'ol Barney Frank; but mostly because nobody, and I mean nobody, has a chance at pissing off the Republicans the way Barn can.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

Is Romney still a Mass. Citizen??

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

If Joe decides to run- and I doubt he will for the same reasons he quit politics in the first place- he would trounce any opponent. Not even close. Even considering the criticism from outside the Commonwealth and from the tiny Republican party here (which is unfortunate and inexplicable) regarding his work with Citizen's for Energy, he is a shoe-in. I'd bet the house on it.

The other names are unknown west of 495. Barney would be fun statewide.

Romney can't show his face in Massachusetts again. He's got his eyes on the WH in 2012, and he might get it, too.

Look for a celebrity darkhorse like Troy Brown or James Taylor:D

4. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I suppose not, now that you mention it. I didn't figure on him running anyway. Really only if he had to do something political and had given up hope of being President.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

Who cares we all know a liberal dingobat will get it anyway, it's Massachusettes...............

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

...greatest state in the Union.

7. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +107 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

Sorry that used to be New Hampshire until you a$$holes from Massachusetts invaded it.

Sorry Dude but Mass. voters are some of the biggest morons in the country. Teddy, Kerry, Patrick, Meehan, Frank. Edit: Should say eastern Mass, votes aren't counted past Worcester.

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

Massachusetts:
    I retired August 26, 1987, at 11:00 AM, on August 27 I was gone like a bat out of hell.............Lived ther for 61 years, I used to love "The Old Cambridge" but nothing is forever, I was down there about a year ago and drove through my Old Central Sq Camb, it looked like The Third World............

The green grove is gone form the hill Maggie
    Where first the daises sprung
    The creaking old mill is still Maggie
    Since you and I were young

9. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This from some clown who probably voted for Specter? That guy's actually flip flopped as often as you accused Kerry of doing so.

10. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +107 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

Never voted for Spector. Certainly won't be doing it the future, either.

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

Specter, Snowe, Collins, McCain, Lieberman etc, never vote for them they can't be trusted, when I'm in a fight I don't want somebody on my side thats going to slobber all over my enemy.

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

ahahahahahahaha.....maybe the greatest at milking you and I of our hard earned dough.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

Sdaniels, wrong again. Now there's a surprise eh? :D

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

Romney won't run. He might contemplate running for the seat, if his handlers think doing so with a public promise to not seek re-election, helps him nationally. I doubt it though.

I know who's going to win anyway. It'll be a crook, croni, or complete moron. This is Massachusetts remember? :rolleyes:

15. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

As usual nothing but ad hominem from Real World. all I ever get from you nowadays is silence like with that wonderfully sourced baby thread of yours yesterday or this crap. How about you show some respect for the forum and keep the crap?

16. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Coakley won't waste her resources on the special election, she has her own reelection coming up and may choose to focus on that instead.

Meehan has a great gig up at UMass Lowell, he already resigned his office two years ago to take it so trying for the seat might be a bad move. He gets well paid and outside of the Merrimack Valley he is virtually unknown.

Delllahunt is unknown north of Quincy, he isn't known for doing much of anything to get his name in the paper so he might not be able to beat a strong name challenger.

Lynch is like Dellahunt except with a Boston connection.

Joe Kennedy has only his name going for him...the fact that he has been out of politics for 11 years and may have the Hugo Chavez begging incident hanging over him will sink his chances.

If I'd go by your list I think Capuano is the one with the biggest chance. He represents Somerville, Roxbury, Dorchester, and Chelsea which would give him an edge in trying to continue Kennedy's poor and health care pet projects.

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

No, for some strange reason, it is Alaska.. not about Sarah, been that way for a long time.. even now they are one of the top per capita stimulus recipients..

18. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +107 / 15 / -9

I recently seen a poll on Fox 25 news rating their favorite political candidate in Massachusetts.

Kennedy 50%
    Romney 35%
    Kerry 5%:rofl:
    Patrick 3%:rofl:
    I don't know 7%

Romney would have a good chance if he ran for the Senate.

19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +520 / 14 / -28

Kerry is already a Senator from Mass. not sure why he is included in this poll. Is Romney a resident of Mass.?????

20. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It was their favorite political candidate poll...why wouldn't he be included in the poll?