PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Canceling the game? Plowing the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, the Patriots have fieldturf, they can cover the field pre-game, and I believe they installed a heating system beneath the fieldturf? So, I don't think you'll have to worry about the playing field. The wind, could end up being a factor though.

The very latest National Weather Service forecast discussion (9:43 am Friday) is still showing uncertainty about the exact track of the storm. But, the basic outline for the south shore interior regions is an inch or two of snow in the early morning hours changing over to sleet then rain by afternoon.

Winds in the 20 - 25 mph range, gusting higher, along the immediate coast, but not expected to reach significantly inland until the backside of the storm Sunday night.

Overall, it looks like an absolutely miserable day, but the Pats would be playing in a cold rain.

It's going to be tonight or tomorrow before the weather service models really let them zone in on precise forecasts.

I can imagine a real blizzard on Sunday in which the players can hardly see each other, much less play football, a game in which the snow is up to their knees, and any kind of movement is extremely difficult.

Such conditions raise questions in my mind:

Has the NFL ever canceled a game because of weather conditions? (I know college games have been delayed because of the threat of lightning--but NFL games?).

Could the Patriots legally plow the field? Or is it covered by tarps that a regiment of weightlifters be able to pull of so the game could proceed?

Could the field be legally melted, somehow--electrically or chemically?

What happens if the players simply CAN'T play?

Nope they won't cancel the game. Didn't you see the Steelers play the Dolphins in a swamp? Terrible game because of the field. 3-0 snorefest, but they never considered canceling it.

Could we have been that wrong all along?
Could God really be a Jets fan?

After all, didn't He name His only-begotten grandson
John
Edward
Thomas ?

It's enough to test your faith.

If its bad enough and the timing is awful enough, the NFL would cancel. Not because of the players, but to protect the fans.
What do you base this on? I never heard of it happening before. Protect the fans from what? Being snowed on? This is New England. It snows.

What do you base this on? I never heard of it happening before. Protect the fans from what? Being snowed on? This is New England. It snows.

Yeah, it's amazing that people forget how to drive in the snow during summer and act like they've never seen the white stuff when we get dumped on in the winter...like yesterday for instance.

5 hour drive home...I'm still pissed.

They wouldn't cancel, or postpone the game because of the weather, although I wonder if they would to protect the fans. Doubt it. Is anyone worried about the weather evening the play on the field?

BB may cancel it. How in hell you going to see defensive signals in snowstorm?

I like my Mom's suggestion.

she wanted to know if there are any Arena teams in the area and the pats could play in the arena:D :rolleyes:

The only reason they would cancel is if it poses a real threat to life or limb, such as lightning.

After hearing the weather forecast this morning, it would be smart to move it to 4:15 but I don't think they will do that either.

Didn't the Miami game get pushed a few years ago to 4, or what is scheduled that way all along (the 12-0 throwing the snow in the air game).

In all seriousness, boy what a difference a year makes. Prior to this year people around here would frequently state that football is meant to be played outdoors in conditions like these, especially if the game was against the Colts. The mantra was "it's home field advantage" when the Colts travelled to Foxboro and there was bad weather.

In all seriousness, boy what a difference a year makes. Prior to this year people around here would frequently state that football is meant to be played outdoors in conditions like these, especially if the game was against the Colts. The mantra was "it's home field advantage" when the Colts travelled to Foxboro and there was bad weather.

I don't think there's any doubt about the Pats winning a game in the snow. It's just that since it's the Jets we want a blowout of epic proportions.

we still feel that way. Especially against Manning. It definately gives the Pats an advantage against most other teams but in a lopsided game like this I think better conditions would make for a better game to watch.

I don't think there's any doubt about the Pats winning a game in the snow. It's just that since it's the Jets we want a blowout of epic proportions.

I don't doubt that, but it is really odd. I'd get flamed for a couple of humorous statements that I'd like to make, but I'll show restraint. ;)

I don't doubt that, but it is really odd. I'd get flamed for a couple of humorous statements that I'd like to make, but I'll show restraint. ;)

It's a matter of degrees. A normal 6 inch snow storm is not aproblem.

This one is either being over forecasted or, if it lives up to it's billing, will be a real N'oreaster. A big difference.

BB may cancel it. How in hell you going to see defensive signals in snowstorm?

Philosophical question:

Is it possible to even have defensive signals when a team doesn't have a defense to signal?

Wish I could have bet the under.

Snowstorm and 30 mph winds aren't the makings of a high scoring game.

It's tough for the fans because they can't really see the game. The cameras are too far away in many shots. Just see a blizzard.

(LOL) fans can't see game?? I'll be at the stadium routing on our team in another blizzard and could care less about the camera view:singing:

The latest doesn't sound too bad. They will change this 5 X between now and Sunday morning:

Sunday: Periods of snow before 9am, then periods of rain and sleet. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. High near 35. East wind between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between one and two inches possible.

Sunday Night: A chance of rain and snow showers before 9pm, then a chance of snow showers, mainly between 9pm and midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Except the wind!:mad:

Tom will still throw rockets to his recievers regardless of visibility-our offense should score at leat 4-5 TD's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes