Welcome to PatsFans.com

Canceling the game? Plowing the field?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Mainefan, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I can imagine a real blizzard on Sunday in which the players can hardly see each other, much less play football, a game in which the snow is up to their knees, and any kind of movement is extremely difficult.

Such conditions raise questions in my mind:

Has the NFL ever canceled a game because of weather conditions? (I know college games have been delayed because of the threat of lightning--but NFL games?).

Could the Patriots legally plow the field? Or is it covered by tarps that a regiment of weightlifters be able to pull of so the game could proceed?

Could the field be legally melted, somehow--electrically or chemically?

What happens if the players simply CAN'T play?

2. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +255 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

The only reason they would cancel is if it poses a real threat to life or limb, such as lightning.

After hearing the weather forecast this morning, it would be smart to move it to 4:15 but I don't think they will do that either.

3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,646 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

It has never happened and never will. Against Miami four years ago it snowed 3 feet and they still played with the stands drifted over. They can keep the field playable no matter what up 'til gametime, and after the kickoff you won't get enough snow in three hours to make conditions unplayable, especially on field turf.

4. PatDaPatriot

PatDaPatriot On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The Pats/Raiders playoff game ("tuck rule" game) was played during a significant snow storm. They're football players, they can play in the snow...

5. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I don't know about you guys, but I feel cheated by the prospect of hideous conditions. I can't help but think of that horrible Steelers/Fins Monday night game.

6. mcbee

mcbee Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wish I could have bet the under.

Snowstorm and 30 mph winds aren't the makings of a high scoring game.

It's tough for the fans because they can't really see the game. The cameras are too far away in many shots. Just see a blizzard.

7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My brother in law left my house with his kids yesterday at 2. He spent over 6 hours driving less than 8 miles to his place and nobody would confuse the snow we got yesterday with a blizzard. If its bad enough and the timing is awful enough, the NFL would cancel. Not because of the players, but to protect the fans.

8. aluminum seats

aluminum seats In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I'm in New York--what's the word right now there for Sunday? Has there already been snow? We had a storm yesterday with another expected Saturday night. Same thing?

9. sieglo

sieglo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Right now the forecast calls for "wintry mix". I don't think it's going to be that bad.... More worried about wind than precipitation.

10. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

We're facing snow at night - freezing rain / sleet all morning and heavy rain after that / sleet all afternoon changing back to snow on the backside - all accompanied by very high winds after noon.

How will football be played with 2" of ice and will this be the fluke the Jets need.

Hell - I don't even know how to dress for that?? Gotta stay warm and dry - ain't easy, but. we'll be there.

11. JustWinBrady

JustWinBrady On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

IMO, Unless the govenor declares a "state of emergency", they will play the game.

12. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

With all due respect, the NFL doesn't give a hoot about the fans. It's the TV contract that matters. They played the fog bowl in Chicago about twenty years ago on new year's eve and you couldn't see ten feet and they didn't even stop playing. They've played in 20 below temperatures when Bengals went to the super bowl (AFCCG in 1982 IIRC) and they play unless there is lightning.
    As much as Mangini might want them to cancel it, it is not happening. If there is inclement weather, it is the visiting team's responsibility to get to the other city in time for the game and to plan ahead.

13. Flying Fungi

Flying Fungi In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Current NWS forecast:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...BOX&textField1=42.063&textField2=-71.2493&e=1

[​IMG]
    Increasing
    Clouds
    Hi 29°FSaturday
    Night
    [​IMG]
    Snow
    Likely
    Lo 19°FSunday

[​IMG]
    Snow/Sleet

Hi 37°FSunday
    Night
    [​IMG]
    Chance
    Rain/Snow

14. oldskool138

oldskool138 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Did you watch the Snow Bowl or the Tedy Bruschi/Dolphins Game? Those were some harsh snowy games. The NFL is not going to cancel a game unless it's like the Blizzard of '78 out there....and even then they might not cancel it.

15. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 3 / -1

You folks must be looking at different weather forecasts for sunday than i've been seeing. the worst that's called for on sunday afternoon as far as i can see is rain with temps in the mid 30's that will drop and could give a little snow, but certainly no major storm. of course, that could change in a minit, but right now it doesn't look that bad.

16. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

The field is heated underneath. They'll keep it covered until soon before the game, then plow the tarp and remove it. So I don't think you'd ever really see much more snow than in the Snow Bowl game. It's not like they'll be playing in 5' of snow.

I was at the Dolphins game. Or I should say I was at the second half of it, after I decided just to illegally park after being in Rt 1 traffic for 3 hours. The stands were so full of snow, you could not sit down. And you had to scale up the stairs, pulling yourself up by the railing. Whoever said the fans at the game are not the NFL's priority had it exactly right.

17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Come to think of it the Beanpot, a local college Hockey tournament played at the Garden (for our out of state Pats fans) actually did go on during the Blizzard of '78. People ended up trapped at the Garden for days; but that was indoors, in the city not the sticks, and involved maybe 10k people possibly attending the game, not near as many actually did. As opposed to outdoors with 65k likely to show up no matter what if the game is on.

18. AStack75

AStack75 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, that game was more a matter of the field itself. What happened in Pittsburgh could never happen here with FieldTurf. I expect Heinz Field will probably switch over to FieldTurf next season.

19. workhorse

workhorse Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Vegas dropped the total by 5 points.

Hey wait a minute. They wouldn't put the tarp on the field before the playoff game against the Colts a couple years back. Have your boys turned into the Colts? :D :eek: ;)

20. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Didn't know the field was heated, PatJew...very interesting. I'm glad to hear that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.