Welcome to PatsFans.com

Canadian King (health care)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 3 / -10

Canadian Premier comes to America for Heart Surgery, I wonder whats wrong with Canada's medical system, the big hospital in Lewiston Maine is full of these Canadains having their surgery done in lousy America.

News Today:
    An unapologetic Danny Williams says he was aware his trip to the United States for heart surgery earlier this month would spark outcry, but he concluded his personal health trumped any public fallout over the controversial decision.

In an interview with The Canadian Press, Williams said he went to Miami to have a "minimally invasive" surgery for an ailment first detected nearly a year ago, based on the advice of his doctors.

"This was my heart, my choice and my health," Williams said late Monday from his condominium in Sarasota, Fla.

"I did not sign away my right to get the best possible health care for myself when I entered politics."
    The Canadian Press: 'My heart, my choice,' Williams says, defending decision for U.S. heart surgery

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Another disengenuous thread, he is premier of Newfoundland and Labrador,not Canada as you imply.. and he made a choice to have it done in Miami..

A similar procedure was available in Canada, but the one offered in the US..in fact Canadian doctors pioneered the surgery on the Mirial Valve..

But put all of this aside,he has a condo in Florida, and given the choice of recuperation on the shores of the North Atlantic or Florida.. he chose Florida, and paid for the operation himself..

It is more about having the financial means to underwrite such, rather than opportunity or health care systems..

3. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 3 / -10

Canada's closer than Miami, why didn't he go to Canada......:D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +779 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

What's more, it sounds as though he did it for vanity reasons - and may have put his recovery at risk by doing so.

Williams told Canadian Press that doctors in Canada suggested conventional surgery, while his U.S. surgeon did the operation through a incision under his arm that didn’t require opening up the bones in his chest.

“Minimally invasive mitral valve repair consists of doing an MV repair surgically through a 5 cm small side chest incision instead of a 10 cm incision in the middle of the chest. A recent survey published at the Society of Thoracic Surgeons meeting (Jan 2010) expressed some word of caution and showed it is not recommended for complex mitral valve repair and also that the rate of complication (strokes in particular) is higher.

“There are a few advantages in terms of length of hospital stay or transfusion or post-operative arrythmias. The only real benefit is cosmetic. Many world renowned experts do not advocate it, in fact. It is done in Canada, but again, with caution. I propose it only for cosmetic reasons in a young woman who dislikes the idea of having a scar visible in summer. This procedure is well publicized in the U.S. in some centres.”

UPDATED: Canadian health care survives Danny Williams’ surgery - John Geddes - Macleans.ca

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Newfoundland and Labrador are part of Canada, however you look at it recuperating in Miami in his condo beats recuperating in a hotel room in Toronto. :D:D

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

he's loaded!
    He's rich!
    That's what rich people do!--
    whatever they want!

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

That is about as political as this can be, it is about the great divide and making cosmetic choices.. a little incision on the side of his chest in Fla(paid for by the guy)... vs. cracking a rib in Canada(paid for)..

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

I'm sure his decision has nothing to do with the quality of care here, versus that which they have there.

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Then you did not read any of the articles provided??? It has a lot to do with a less evasive, less effective surgery that he can pay for.. Canada is a international leader in this type of surgery.

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 3 / -10

What happened to the Swine Flu I thought we'd all be dead by now, why did Messiah want us all injected, I know why, they were injecting people with a "virus" that turned the victim into "Obama Groupies" thank God I didn't fall for that sh!t (dracula rhamy emanuel invented it)

:bricks:

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +779 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

To break it down somewhat.....

Canada (which has National Health Care) has doctors who do not stand to make a buck by offering surgeries which are riskier and less effective - therefore they are allowed, nay, they are encouraged, to provide nothing but the most effective and safest forms of any given surgery to their patients.

America, on the other hand, which does not have a National Health Care Plan but relies on good old capitalism, is encouraged to and does offer riskier and less effective surgeries - thus appealing to the patient's vanity and cleaning out their pocketbooks at the same time.

12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Why hijack your own disengenuous thread... :confused::confused:

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 3 / -10

I forgot it was my thread.......................................:D

14. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +153 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

In Canada they put you in a que and you wait for your turn, like a netflix DVD, for what they deem "non-emergency" procedures.

15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So basically he took the Paris Hilton approach and, of course, our resident Republicans cheer.

This is exactly why the Republicans are fighting tooth and nail to block health care modernization. Because its better for a rich, vain person to have a riskier, less effective surgical procedure that, ALL IMPORTANTLY, won't leave a noticeable scar on his chest, than it is for every person in the USA to enjoy the vastly better health care outcomes available in the civilized world.

16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I have to call bullcrap on this one. I simply don't believe that the surgery being chosen is both riskier and less effective. If that were indeed the case, the AMA would probably have an opinion on this particular type of procedure.

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Whether you believe it or not....

18. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,481 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Ding! Ding! Ding!

While going to college in Canada, my girlfriend messed her knee up playing volleyball and had to use crutches. The arthroscopic surgery was a 9 month wait because it wasn't an emergency. Then, 2 weeks later, she developed some sort of complication with her knee that became serious (don't recall what, infection maybe?) and she was seen within 12 hours.

19. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,481 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Don't tell them that...

20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +250 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm guessing that this is not an isolated incident. Is the argument that if the health system only has x-amount of money to spend now, so they must put off non emergency procedures? How many times though does the total cost actually increase with a patient because of poor judgments like this that were arguably made to save money? The other argument might be is that x-amount only pays for x-amount of beds and doctors so they are too busy with real emergency cases to take on non emergency ones. That falls a part a little though when you create an emergency patient by having them wait.

I'm for some kind of health reform but at the same time I’m not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that these are not real consequences that will result from it. The other side of the argument is that some people will get care that would never have got it before, though my wife tells me about the multitude of uninsured patients who get care in the ER she works in. Because it's an ER they must do a lot of mostly unnecessary testing to cover their butts for people that only have very minor complaints or colds. That drives costs through the roof and we all pay for them anyway. I guess if they had insurance then they could go to their doctors to be treated appropriately. The problem there is that takes weeks for appointments too and doctors advise patients that do not want to wait to go to the ER anyway.

What a mess.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010