Welcome to PatsFans.com

Canadian Dollar now worth as much as US Dollar

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Sep 20, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Rumor had it that Saddam Hussein was planning on selling his oil using the Euro after sanctions were liftd on Iraq, and that is one of the leading factors for the invasion....

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

A collapse is imminent? Did you get this information from the same person who told you that there was a $4.5 Billion short on the Dow? Maybe you should move some more money around due to this. :D

Personally, I find this to be great news for two reasons. #1, US products become more attractive overseas, and imports become more expensive. #2, this might actually be cause for concern IN THE FUKCING CAPITOL. Now I feel better. :D

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

The Peso is still trading 11 to 1, so so much for the world net & newsmax rumors of one North American economy..

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

That's only because if there's one place on this continent that's in worse condition that us, it's Mexico. NO ONE wants peso's, not even Mexicans. :D

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

And Rumor had it that the Patriots were going to cut Randy Moss.

You can find a rumor for whatever you want, it's worthless.

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -12

As I understand it, the dangers of a very weak dollar are instability and inflation. If the dollar gets so weak that we stop buying stuff or traveling overseas, the other countries will have to take action, the easiest thing for them would be to impose tariffs to prevent us from flooding their markets with cheap goods. As China is to us, we are to Europe in some respects. This can create unstable markets, which we are seeing today. The other danger, of course, is the fact that as our dollar gets weaker, prices of imports go up, which can contribute to inflation. There's no way the U.S. Dollar can collapse unless our economy collapses first, and it does not seem to be in danger of doing so.

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

Like anything, the cause's and effects of a strong, or weak, dollar are comprehensive. I remember when Italy had the Lira, I used to trade a dollar at 2 to 1. It was great for me when I went there because everything was cheap. Since they've gone to the Euro, it's gotten progressively worse. So now, when I go, I don't buy anything, and spend far less. It's actually cheaper to buy stuff here, than it is there. This is why you see so many more international tourists in the States these days. They come here because it's now affordable for them to do so. For you locals, the outlets in Wrenthem are packed with foreignors who come here to shop. So there is good, and there is bad.

9. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

OMFG, is that the sky I see falling? :D

I'm teasing. Here's hoping a US governmental bankruptcy will spurn some fiscal sanity. Like I said before, buy gold!

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

When I travel there I get better value with Pesos than with American Dollars.. for whatever that is worth.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

That's cuz you're paying the vig since the dollar is not Mexican currency (yet :mad: ), and if you don't have peso's, they know you only have dollars. Therefore, if you are going buy something, your options are limited. Limited options mean little leverage. Little leverage means you get ***....:D

13. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

The easiest way for a layman to see how the economy, etc, is going is to look at the stock market. Just like QB rating, it's not a perfect indicator but it's the most honest, real, general look at reality. If the economy were about to collapse, the stock market would be showing it. And it's not. Is it a perfect leading indicator ? No. But it's a lot better look at reality than saying we're doomed because of just the value of the dollar.

15. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Not true. Look at what happened in the 1920's. The market is being propped up for the masses while the elite are moving their assets OUT. By the time everyone else realizes we're screwed, it will be too late for them.

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

You take your money out and stuff it all under your pillow then - and I guess you'll have the last laugh :D

I'm staying with about 75% in the U.S. market (25% foreign) and am fully confident in that. And I maintain that if we were about to collapse things would not be going as they are in the stock market.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

Everything is comprehensive, but construction & real estate tend to drive our ecomony. Right now, niether are in relatively good shape. It's time for a downward cycle anyway, as prices have/had truly gotten out of hand. I blame the fed mostly. When prices started to go up, and somewhat skyrocket, they kept dropping rates. They should have been raising rates a tad in the late 90's (maybe even a couple years after 9/11) so as to keep the increase in prices modest. Now the fed doesn't have much room to wiggle rates with. I think we could see some turbulence ahead.

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Sure, it'll have volatility - and I have something like 20% in a safe money market, but I have about 80% in stocks split as described previously. As we saw last month, the stock market will react quickly and without remorse when it looks like the sh!t is hitting; we've almost regained all the losses and that just wouldn't be the case if investors thought the economy was tanking. There's no reason not to expect normal returns for the foreseeable future and, back to the thread at hand, that simply wouldn't be the case if we were about to get smacked.

It'll be OK - really.

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

I understand what you're saying BF. Still though, I'd be a little more focused than usual. Foreclosures are up sharply, and that's been a trend. I was reading that in the next 6 months, there are a record number of 3 year ARMS up, and that the market is going to be overwhelmed with foreclosures and for sales. I'd do a little research just to ensure that you're ahead of the game. Housing is critical. The one thing that might help is the fact that there is a considerable pool of people who were priced out over the last 5-6 years, and are patiently waiting to buy. However, that pool is a pittance of the amount who will be in trouble very shortly. I've still got a ton of equity in my little home, so I might look to buy some rental property in the coming year.

20. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

That would be the worst thing a person could do. Paper dollars will be worth half what they are now in 5 years. The smart thing to do right now is move your wealth into non-US based assets.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007