PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can you picture Jesus using genocide as Noah’s God did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatest I am

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Can you picture Jesus using genocide as Noah’s God did?

The O.T. God has been described as the vilest God imaginable.

The N.T. shows Jesus as a much softer and gentler and loving God.

Many say that Jesus is God even though there are many who dispute that notion for a number of good reasons.

For this O P, I will assume that there is a Trinity. If you are a Trinitarian, then you would have to see the non-judgemental Jesus who would not even stone a prostitute, as the judgemental O.T. God of Noah’s day, --- who will even drown babies and children.

How do you reconcile the O.T. God with the kind, gentle and forgiving Jesus?

Some will point to a new covenant but God himself says that nothing he says will ever be retract and Jesus himself referred back to the old covenant in the bible so let’s not argue that please.

Can you picture Jesus doing the vile things that scriptures say he did in the O.T.?

Regards
DL

Not at all ... Old Testament is a book of fiction written by men stoned on drugs.

The OT God, which is the same as the NT God BTW, wasn't vile, except to those who chose not to understand Him.

He laid down strict rules.

Some followed them... others didn't.

There were consequences for not obeying. Sometimes big ones (the flood)...

(BTW, does this sound a little like the HC of the NEP? :D )

But in the OT, with repentance and changing of ways, there was forgiveness (as in the NT). David was forgiven many times, as were the people of Israel and their kings for worshiping false gods.

And Jesus Himself said, "I came not to bring peace, but a sword."

Well, Jesus is going to send people who don't align with his beliefs to eternal torment. I'd say that's kinda ****ty of him.

He's not sending anyone anywhere. The exits from hell are all locked from the inside.

So, according to Jesus, why does anyone go to "hell"? Who sends them there?

You send yourself there. If you know the speed limit is 55, and you go 75, and the cop pulls you over and gives you a ticket, who really gave you that ticket?

You did.

You send yourself there. If you know the speed limit is 55, and you go 75, and the cop pulls you over and gives you a ticket, who really gave you that ticket?

You did.

So your god has nothing to do with the creation of hell and the setting up of a system wherein, when you die, if you don't hold appropriate beliefs, you go to eternal torment?

In your belief system, who created these things?

To quote Pope John Paul:

"Hell is the ultimate consequence of sin itself... Rather than a place, hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy.

'Eternal damnation', therefore, is not attributed to God's initiative because in his merciful love he can only desire the salvation of the beings he created. In reality, it is the creature who closes himself to His love. Damnation consists precisely in definitive separation from God, freely chosen by the human person and confirmed with death that seals his choice for ever."

To quote Pope John Paul:

I have a lot of respect for JPII, but is there nothing in the bible?

"Hell is the ultimate consequence of sin itself... Rather than a place

This is an unorthodox teaching. So you believe that hell does not exist as a place, is that correct?

hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy.

How does one do that?

'Eternal damnation', therefore, is not attributed to God's initiative because in his merciful love he can only desire the salvation of the beings he created.

So how did the concept of eternal damnation come into being? Is there a higher, or more ancient, power than your god?

In reality, it is the creature who closes himself to His love. Damnation consists precisely in definitive separation from God, freely chosen by the human person and confirmed with death that seals his choice for ever."

So, there was a universe, in which there are three states; life, hell/separation from god, and a third place that is NOT hell/separation from god. When a human is alive they have some sort of choice where they freely separate themselves from god? And, according to your belief, every human gets this choice, presented in these terms?

Not everything is explicitly in the Bible. Some things have to be worked out, as St. Paul said about our salvation, 'with fear and trembling.' Fortunately the Church has 2000 years of all star theologians to assist with logic and insight.

People separate themselves from God by not loving Him... by loving something else more. Usually but not always themselves.

Off to work now, but will address the rest later.

The OT God, which is the same as the NT God BTW, wasn't vile, except to those who chose not to understand Him.

He laid down strict rules.

Some followed them... others didn't.

There were consequences for not obeying. Sometimes big ones (the flood)...

(BTW, does this sound a little like the HC of the NEP? :D )

But in the OT, with repentance and changing of ways, there was forgiveness (as in the NT). David was forgiven many times, as were the people of Israel and their kings for worshiping false gods.

And Jesus Himself said, "I came not to bring peace, but a sword."

The promise is that at end time Jesus will use that sword to send the vast majority of us to hell and you do not think that vile. Ok.

You must have had quite the parents.

Stockholm syndrome.

Regards
DL

Not everything is explicitly in the Bible. Some things have to be worked out, as St. Paul said about our salvation, 'with fear and trembling.' Fortunately the Church has 2000 years of all star theologians to assist with logic and insight.

People separate themselves from God by not loving Him... by loving something else more. Usually but not always themselves.

Off to work now, but will address the rest later.

So because some people don't follow the words of other people, written thousands of years before they lived, they're supposedly doomed for all eternity. Same goes for the people who do follow the words of other people, written thousands (or hundreds for Mormons? or less for scientologists?) of years before they lived, but who follow the wrong words.

Just doesn't pass the smell test. Obviously you and millions of others disagree, of course.

The promise is that at end time Jesus will use that sword to send the vast majority of us to hell and you do not think that vile. Ok.

Stockholm syndrome.

Regards
DL

Actually, that's not the promise. Christ is referring to the fact that family members will fight over whether He is the Messiah or not. As stated earlier, you send yourself to hell by your own actions. Your choice.

And as for my parents, you are wrong again. But you don't care to think; you just lash out against those with whom you disagree. Too bad you can't have a civil discussion... did you learn THAT from YOUR parents? I bet they tried to teach you better. I'm sorry they failed.

Stockholm syndrome.

Regards
DL

That is the post of the week. When I read Stockholm Syndrome I literally started laughing out loud. Well done.

So because some people don't follow the words of other people, written thousands of years before they lived, they're supposedly doomed for all eternity. Same goes for the people who do follow the words of other people, written thousands (or hundreds for Mormons? or less for scientologists?) of years before they lived, but who follow the wrong words.

Just doesn't pass the smell test. Obviously you and millions of others disagree, of course.

Actually, it's simple and a blessing to follow God... to love Him... to appreciate the beautiful world He gave us... to follow His commandments... and to accept His son as Lord. Well, it's easy when one hasn't already appointed one's self the Most High. That's why it doesn't pass your smell test... you think your nose is the Ultimate Arbiter... which is ironic, since He designed your nose and gave it to you. LOL

I've always found it ridiculous that three-qyarters of the world are doomed to hell. I would think a god would try to redeem as many as possible.

That is the post of the week. When I read Stockholm Syndrome I literally started laughing out loud. Well done.

So, you make fun of people whose beliefs you don't share, by claiming their parents took them hostage as children and beat them into submission until the children gave in and agreed to 'believe'?

That IS hilarious. How witty you both are. Kudos! LOL

I've always found it ridiculous that three-qyarters of the world are doomed to hell. I would think a god would try to redeem as many as possible.

I don't know where you get that number. But as for trying to redeem as many as possible, He asked us to love Him and follow His precepts. Before doing so, He gave us this earth and everything on it... and when we still didn't get it, He sent His son to die for our sins. And you're saying that what God did is not enough for you? What more do you WANT?!?!? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes